• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a church building directly on the road, it's got a tower, it's near Five Ways, but alas not the building we want ...:grinning:
Achurch.jpg
Nice view of a courtyard in top part of pic.

phil have you got a view like that of icknield st showing the library and what is around it

lyn

Hi Lyn, there are photos of the area showing the library but unfortunately taken from high up and of poor quality. I have put one of the best in post#31. The photo in #121 was taken from low altitude on a very sunny day.
Phil

Interesting thread.
I don't know much about this area. My question is.. has the library been partly demolished where Tesco butts up to the library? The old photo looks nothing like the Google Earth image.spring hill.JPG

Looking at the original image in post #1, there are three identical windows at the ground level to the left of the bus and what appears to be three windows of differing sizes above them, symmetry suggest that these would be matched by another three windows increasing in size towards the left. That implies a group of at least six identical windows at ground level, seven if there is a smaller window cut-off by the left margin of the photograph. The brick string line that frames the windows rather than keeping at the same level is worth keeping in mind.
The hard standing by the bus stop on the right suggests that buses stopped there longer than usual, could there have been a Bundy clock there at an earlier time? (Were there Bundy clocks on the circle routes 8/11 and if so where?).

From Frothblower: (wrong quote in original post.
Interesting thread.
I don't know much about this area. My question is.. has the library been partly demolished where Tesco butts up to the library? The old photo looks nothing like the Google Earth image.

As far as Bundy clock sites are concerned - in the areas covered by this thread - I can say categorically that one was sited in Monument Road on the bridge by the urinal and Bridge Inn. In the other direction I am not at all sure, but believe one to have been located in the Five Ways/Plough and Harrow area. To be honest it is unlikely that one would be sited near a busy crossroads which might cause congestion should the bus be early and have to wait 'pegging' time.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.
I don't know much about this area. My question is.. has the library been partly demolished where Tesco butts up to the library? The old photo looks nothing like the Google Earth image.View attachment 130615
I have seen older photos of the library and they just show old buildings nothing in keeping with the library

From Frothblower: (wrong quote in original post.
Interesting thread.
I don't know much about this area. My question is.. has the library been partly demolished where Tesco butts up to the library? The old photo looks nothing like the Google Earth image.

As far as Bundy clock sites are concerned - in the areas covered by this thread - I can say categorically that one was sited in Monument Road on the bridge by the urinal and Bridge Inn. In the other direction I am not at all sure, but believe one to have been located in the Five Ways/Plough and Harrow area. To be honest it is unlikely that one would be sited near a busy crossroads which might cause congestion should the bus be early and have to wait 'pegging' time.

hi froth...library is as its always been...the photo you posted is taken on the spring hill side of the library which also goes around the corner into icknield st

lyn

Is it possible that the tower belongs to the library but the bus is on the opposite side of the junction, i.e. the building on the left isn't part of the library at all, it is just the perspective that makes them look part of the same complex.

Is it possible that the tower belongs to the library but the bus is on the opposite side of the junction, i.e. the building on the left isn't part of the library at all, it is just the perspective that makes them look part of the same complex.
If you enlarge the picture in #1, look over the top of the bus, you will see that the features of the tower do not match that of the library.
I, too am of the opinion that the location is not SpringHill library.

bundy clock outside no 203 icknield st

lyn

View attachment 130627
There is certainly a Bundy clock. Where's the bus stop? How many bus stops on the 8 route had bus shelters? Because this was and still is an inner city route there would not have been wide pavements...witness above........ in many parts of it and narrow pavements would not have allowed erection of a bus shelter, even the BCT bent sheet type as seen in the picture. Did BCT put in setts at timing points? However if there had been a Bundy Clock it would be visible in the photograph as most stood at the pavements edge, although you will all tell me where there was one back against a wall and there was one , I can see it in my minds eye and think it was on the 11 route. Finally has anyone thought of asking David Harvey for a comment. I have been through all my BCT books, looking for any similar pictures, but apart from a rear view of it in Mr Harvey's latest book, Birmingham buses after withdrawal, I have seen nothing. This book notes that 1008 was one of only two Daimler COG5s fitted as a snowplough in November 1954 and sold for scrap on 31st May 1960. A stupid observation, but is there anyone out there who recorded the location of all BCT bus shelters?

Bob

My dad drove the No 8 for about ten years, he was based at Hockley garage.
Yes. Hockley had nine of the 41 refurbished buses in 1958. Between November 1954 and April 1958 this bus (1008 CVP 108) was used as a snowplough and therefore not in regular service. Another photo of it, in late 1960, shews it on Oxhill Road on the 70 route.

I've just gone back to the book I found the photo in, and this photo is below the other image on the same page. It is obviously a different location (don't these books have proof readers). Though I have to believe the location is somewhere in the vicinity surely they can't be that far out can they?

View attachment 130355
It is a shame that the background, in the photo of CVP 108, in Post 1#, doesn't have a clear background. This photo does and there is no mistaking one of the chimneys at the Royal Mint (as it was then).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back