• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cockshut Hill School

John, I have the same problem with her indoors, deaf as a post without her hearing aids, a good job for modern technology. You never said anything about that before, you do surprise me ,John.
Hope you are keeping well , you should be with all that cycling. Coming back to school days, you were not in the seniors long as you went off to Moseley, I would presume when you took your 11 plus.
Dave

Hello Dave. You are quite correct, but it is not all about tracing history, it is also reminiscing, it can be very uplifting, being reminded of something, forgotten memories etc. Yes, we can leave it late and some news can be bad. Yesterday, on a forum, I talked to someone that grew up in the same road as myself. We talked about the area, neighbours, etc. I found that he was married to the sister of a girl I was friends with when we were about 9/10 years old. Today, I asked about my old friend and found that she is no longer with us. She passed away aged 39. I am saddened. We are, at times too busy. Perhaps if we went back to two television stations showing programs 5pm to 10.30 pm all our lives would be enhanced but sadly that will not happen. I believe that you have the knowledge to help people reminisce, trace history, jog memories etc. PhilC.

Phil
You said you were talking to someone on a forum yesterday, I guess it was not this one, there are so many around that this one loses out.

Here’s hoping that you have not lost your brummagem sense of humour. You enjoy hearing about the past or reading about the past? When something rings a bell, it could be tinnitus. It is easy to get your own back on Marcia. When you get into bed together, quietly ask, “You going to sleep or what”. Chin up you, you are fine. My first day at work damaged my hearing. Keep smiling and please let me know if you want me to increase the font size :) With respect PhilC.

Phil
You said you were talking to someone on a forum yesterday, I guess it was not this one, there are so many around that this one loses out.
No, it was this forum but due to the information, we used a private conversation. I still feel very sad today. PhilC.

Phil, I did not quite get the meaning of post 123, At 84 you go to bed to get the body ready for the next days jobs to be done as I am knackered these days. Take yesterday, cutting a dead pear tree down and cutting it up to go in the bin, to day I have to get on the lathe and turn up some tubing to make a handle for a fork I loaned to the daughters partner who then decided to break it. I have a very interesting life since retirement, never stop working.
I didn't get the damaged hearing bit, I don't have hearing aids or glasses for reading.
Dave

How about the false TEETH? plus a titanium hip and screws in tibia from ski accident. No wonder the alarm goes off at airports

Phil, I did not quite get the meaning of post 123, At 84 you go to bed to get the body ready for the next days jobs to be done as I am knackered these days. Take yesterday, cutting a dead pear tree down and cutting it up to go in the bin, to day I have to get on the lathe and turn up some tubing to make a handle for a fork I loaned to the daughters partner who then decided to break it. I have a very interesting life since retirement, never stop working.
I didn't get the damaged hearing bit, I don't have hearing aids or glasses for reading.
Dave
Sorry Dave, I didn't mean anything dis-respectful. just my silly sense of humour that I will try and control.

OMG. May I just say sorry to you, John, Marcia, my parents, my wife and children. I am going to........ I mean start to.........em..........I will concentrate PhilC

Last edited:
I was just looking at google earth to just see the amount of area from the back of the school which was open land when John and I went there in 1943, we have had a population explosion if you take all the area as a whole.
Dave

The road ended. There was a field with a path at the back of the school that you could walk through to Yardley old church, if I remember right

Hey Dave, you know we were talking about people not bothering and leaving it too late etc. Well, through BHF I have been chatting to devonjim, we grew up in the same street but didn't know each other. I think he lived next door to me, not really. He has put a couple of photographs of our street party in the Coronation 1953 thread. My parents, grand parents, two sister and a brother, me as a 14 month old in my mother's arms are all in the pics. I'm filling up now. I'll just pay for the petrol and see what else I can find at BHF. PhilC.

Was that you with the mop of hair in the middle (almost) of the picture? Have you any of it left? We are going off topic here Phil.
Dave

Sorry Dave. Yes that's me with the mop of hair that I still have but a different colour now, cus I'm worth it. Some 10 years after the photo was taken, I went to Cockshut Hill Boys School :p and enjoyed 4 years there. As always though, you don't know what you have until it's gone. Hey, has anyone mentioned the school cottage at Betws-y-Coed North Wales. I was lucky enough to go there twice. Taken there by old ambulances that the school had bought. I stayed in the cottage once and camped in the medow the second time. Washed and bathed in the river. I never had a problem with any of the teachers although I know what some have wrote about them to be true. At the school cottage, they were okay, we had a laugh. PhilC

Hello. The Nissen huts looks like they were in the corner area of Blakenhale & Hollyfast Rd running down Hollyfast Rd opposite Hadland Rd. Blakenhale junior school gates are in Hadland Rd (Cul-de-sac) and Outmore Rd. Infant school gates are in Blakenhale Rd. (Well, when I was there. I lived in Hadland Rd ). I had great times as a kid. I remember Poolway shops being tin huts. The park was much more interesting when it was a field and happy times when the travelling fair came. Does anyone remember the Chestnuts being a wooden hut?
Yes, I remember the Chestnuts as a wooden pub. As a kid, living just up from there in Garretts Green Lane, just past the old prefabs, I'd go in the off licence a lot. I think we'd also do penny for the guy there as well.

Hi Peppers. Great to hear from someone that remembers the good old days in Sheldon. I remember going to the off licence to get my Dad some cigs, and also some women with pop bottles having them filled with beer for their husbands. Bar on the left, off licence in the middle and lounge on the right. I have a photograph of the same type building at the Radleys while the Cabin was being built. The travelling fair at Poolway when the park was a field, and also at the Radleys on the field before the Cabin.

Attachments

• Chestnuts early build- 1959..JPG
    Chestnuts early build- 1959..JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 39
yes i also remember the chestnut pub outdoor. i first went to blakenhale school b 4 i went to cockshut hill.
i have recently been back to sheldon and c that poolway is now a housing estate.
i think what they have done to cockshut hill school has destroyed the history of the school.
i wouldn't send any of my kids to the school now . it was the best school around in my time 77-82.

I attended Cockshut Hill School when in the infants and then Blakenhale junior school. I went back to Cockshut Hill Senior Boys from 1961 to 1966. Mr Jolly was the headmaster and Mr Wickstead his deputy. I remember Mr Hardy the PE teacher making us sit on the window sills high up in the gym, looping our arms to mimic a basket and other pupils throwing basket balls at us, very dangerous. I remember the Dovecote pub being built.

Remember the old school well. Miss Smith was head mistress and Miss Allen her deputy. I started in Miss Garfields class. Then Mrs Wokoska who i didnt like at all. We had a Miss Orme who took us for art. Miss Allen took us for P.E. i was into games. Netball and the High jump my favourite. I did the Commercial course 1st year it started
.Mrs Higgins..typing....Mrs Rollason..shorthand. Mr Savage..English. think he did book-keeping too. 1945-1956.
Can remember Irene Ward..Pamela Shaw.
Christine Tonks...my name was Gillian Wright xxx good old days xxx

I attended Cockshut Hill School when in the infants and then Blakenhale junior school. I went back to Cockshut Hill Senior Boys from 1961 to 1966. Mr Jolly was the headmaster and Mr Wickstead his deputy. I remember Mr Hardy the PE teacher making us sit on the window sills high up in the gym, looping our arms to mimic a basket and other pupils throwing basket balls at us, very dangerous. I remember the Dovecote pub being built.
My father was a teacher at Blakenhale in the 1950s
I understand he was very STRICT....His name Mr Wright x

My dad was also in the Yardley Homeguard, when we lived at Barrows Lane. Teachers I remember at Cockshut Hill include, Miss. Smith, Mrs. Witkowska, Miss Orme, Mrs. Davies, Miss Allen, the Rev. Green who took Religious Instruction, Mrs. Garton, and a tall thin teacher, who I think was called either Miss. Bradbury or Miss. Oldknow. I remember when she fell on the ice and we all got in trouble for laughing. I remember a pageant in Queen's Road Park about the Plantagenets. I also remember Mrs. Witkowska taking sewing in the visitor's flat and the needle of the machine went through her finger and we had to help her remove herself from it. I was there from 1953 to 58. Pupils I remember include, Pam Shenstone, Pam Wall, Pat Greenhalgh and a Janet McPhail.
I remember Janet Mcphail we lived in Elmay Road and so did Janet. Lost touch many years ago.

I went to Cockshut Scool (then Cockshut Council School) from 1944 to 1947. I was born at 44 Boyne Road at the end of 1938. I remember a Miss Kay reading stories to us in the early years. She was very kind, but then I was promoted to the class of Miss Wychalee (spelling?). I have few happy memories of this teacher. She told my Mum that I was "a sullen child". I was quiet and just plain scared of her and the punishment I saw meeted out to other kids. The head of the infants was Miss Stark and a Miss Goddard was in charge of the Juniors. Miss Goddard impressed us all by arriving in a car. Cars were rare and women drivers even rarer! I remember being made to eat the school dinners and drink the warm milk left outside in the sun. The girls used to do handstands against the school walls at playtime with their skirts tucked into their knickers.
Has anyone else memories of these times?
Oh my goodness yes.....you must have been there same time as me. I didnt stay dinners but remember the warm milk in summer and the cold milk in winter. I lived in Elmay Road x

Back