• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been a long time since I posted anything and got the size of the picture wrong, sorry.

This is a 1937 Daimler bus which was refurbished in the late 1950's lasting in service until 1960. It is seen here, in 1959, at the stop opposite Spring Hill library in Icknield Street.

Last edited:
This is a 1937 Daimler bus which was refurbished in the late 1950's lasting in service until 1960. It is seen here, in 1959, at the stop opposite Spring Hill library in Icknield Street heading towards Hockley
Is that definite as there seems to be a doubt that it is Spring Hill library. Thanks for your reply.

I've just had a close look at the library using GE and it does not seem to match up with the part of the building seen in the bus image, unless part of the library has since been demolished.

Gea

I have already answered this question with a guess that is is outside Spring Hill Library on another forum, as I said there I would try to find confirmation, well this photo should be able to do just that.

View attachment 130351
If the text with this photo is correct and Spring Hill / Dudley Rd is to the rear of the bus, then, shouldn't the library be on the right? or am I not understanding the written description, John.

If the text with this photo is correct and Spring Hill / Dudley Rd is to the rear of the bus, then, shouldn't the library be on the right? or am I not understanding the written description, John.
You are correct because if that was the library on the right of the bus, the Dudley Rd - Spring Hill junction could not be behind the bus, it would be immediately in front of the bus.

As stated the Spring Hill junction should be in front of the bus and behind it should be the Camden Street junction, but his photo comes from "The Inner Circle number 8 bus route" book and was written by experts on buses not geography and it's possible they got their front and rears mixed up.

Pic 1 - A photo of the side of Spring Hill Library.
Springhill__Lib.jpg

Pic 2 - The bus photo with just the building sharpened and contrast levels altered. I have highlighted a feature which does not appear on the library wall as seen in Pic 1. It almost looks like a drain pipe and there are other features which do not match.

Inner_Circle8.jpeg
It is not by Spring Hill Library.

Last edited:
I've just gone back to the book I found the photo in, and this photo is below the other image on the same page. It is obviously a different location (don't these books have proof readers). Though I have to believe the location is somewhere in the vicinity surely they can't be that far out can they?

phil01 (2).jpg

A map (of sorts) but not many of the roads are similar or even still with us.

phil01_0001.jpg

I have removed the reference to Hockley as it would appear it is in the direction of Monument Road. As the road layout was altered considerably by the crossroads at the library I suspect the bus stop, formerly at the commencement of Monument Road, to the other side of the crossroads to be beside the old Theatre (Bulpitts).
The library underwent renovations in recent years so there is the possibility that some minor changes were made and comparisons with the original might have some differences.

Last edited:
no doubt in my mind that the no 8 bus is passing spring hill library...the bus stop on the right is where i got off to go to spring hill rollar rink

lyn

John

That's not the photo that is in dispute, that's one I posted to show the difference.

It has been suggested to me on another forum that it could possibly be St Luke's Road Balsall Heath which was used for a diversion route whilst Belgrave & Lee Bank Middleway's were being constructed. There were certainly enough institution type buildings such as schools, churches and children's homes to be found there in the 50's it's worth having a look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back