• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army records Richard William Hirst private 242751 RWR.

BLUEBOY

master brummie
Good morning all, could anyone help me with tracing my Grandfathers records. This is my first post have been a member for 5 years and have been content with just being a member who looks at the incredible photos and posts of Birminghams past. Born in Reginald road Alum Rock in 1952 now living in Devon, still a Brummie !!! Now back to plot, he enlisted in Birmingham 12 Dec 1915 with the RWR but I haven't been able to determine his battalion where he fought and was wounded which led to his honourable discharge 31 Dec 1917 ( silver war badge). I would love to hear from any member with any information or guidance they can offer. On the 1911 census he was living in Cecil street then Lord street after the war and finally Reginald road, would like to find out when this was as they are in Lord street 1939 register and were in Reginald road in 1942 my parents were living with my grandparents would this move be down to the redevelopment of Lord street or where they bombed out any ideas I would appreciate sorry for the essay Cheers Blueboy.

Unfortunately his records may not have survived. More than half of ww1 service records were destroyed by German bombing in 1940.

His Medal Record Index Card is available but there's not much info on them.

Thank you MWS I thought that may be the case but wasn't sure if with his discharge his battalion might be mentioned but it only says Royal Warwickshire Reg I have his medal card info but again no clues to go on many thanks again

242751 Private Richard Hirst was in the 2/6th Battalion Royal Warwick Regiment. He served overseas and was discharged 31st December 2017. He was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal. I can't find any more information but you could deduce a little from the Regiment's WW1 record which shows the following information and campaigns concerning his battalion:-

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/316/royal-warwickshire-regiment/

2/5th and 2/6th Battalion Territorial Force
Oct 1914 The 2/5th Formed at Birmingham and the 2/6th formed at Coventry as part of the 2/1st Warwickshire Brigade of the 2/1st South Midland Division and then moved to Chelmsford.
Aug 1915 Formation became the 182nd Brigade if the 61st Division and moved to Salisbury Plain.
21.05.1916 Mobilised for war and landed France were the formation became the 143rd Brigade of the 48th Division and engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
During 1916
The Attack at Fromelles.
During 1917
The Operations on the Ancre. The German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line. The Battle of Langemarck. The German counter attacks.
During 1918
The Battle of St Quentin, The Actions at the Somme Crossings, The Battle of Estaires, The Battle of Hazebrouck, The Battle of Bethune, The Battle of the Selle, The Battle of Valenciennes.
11.11.1918 Ended the war in France, south of Valenciennes.

Thank you MWS I thought that may be the case but wasn't sure if with his discharge his battalion might be mentioned but it only says Royal Warwickshire Reg I have his medal card info but again no clues to go on many thanks again
Unfortunately his records may not have survived. More than half of ww1 service records were destroyed by German bombing in 1940.

His Medal Record Index Card is available but there's not much info on them.
242751 Private Richard Hirst was in the 2/6th Battalion Royal Warwick Regiment. He served overseas and was discharged 31st December 2017. He was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal. I can't find any more information but you could deduce a little from the Regiment's WW1 record which shows the following information and campaigns concerning his battalion:-

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/units/316/royal-warwickshire-regiment/

2/5th and 2/6th Battalion Territorial Force
Oct 1914 The 2/5th Formed at Birmingham and the 2/6th formed at Coventry as part of the 2/1st Warwickshire Brigade of the 2/1st South Midland Division and then moved to Chelmsford.
Aug 1915 Formation became the 182nd Brigade if the 61st Division and moved to Salisbury Plain.
21.05.1916 Mobilised for war and landed France were the formation became the 143rd Brigade of the 48th Division and engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
During 1916
The Attack at Fromelles.
During 1917
The Operations on the Ancre. The German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line. The Battle of Langemarck. The German counter attacks.
During 1918
The Battle of St Quentin, The Actions at the Somme Crossings, The Battle of Estaires, The Battle of Hazebrouck, The Battle of Bethune, The Battle of the Selle, The Battle of Valenciennes.
11.11.1918 Ended the war in France, south of Valenciennes.
Thank you for your response Whisky Papa I hadn't hoped for any more information this is good news how did you arrive at the 2/6th he enlisted in Birmingham .What would be your gut feeling for where he was wounded his elbow was shattered by a bullet couldn't hold a rifle what sort of period for recovery would there have been before returning home any idea. Thank you again can't believe you found this information Ps he was discharged 1917 Blueboy

Thank you Whisky Papa I have replied to you but not really sure how to once again Many Thanks !!

I've see images of these records on my Ancestry account (military records) which confirms his battalion, overseas service and discharge date due to wounds as 31st December 1917. He was 20 years old at the time. I'm reluctant to post these record images as they are copyright but they can be seen on Ancestry. You could take out a free trial, I believe. The Royal Warwickshire Regiments records show that the 2/5th Battalion was recruited in Birmingham, but the 2/6th Battalion was recruited in Coventry. Richard Hirst joined the 2/6th Battalion according to the regiment's records so there's a little mystery there!

His Battalion took part in the Battle of Langemarck (16th - 18th August 1917, part of the third battle of Ypres) against the 4th German Army. Heavy casualties were incurred on both sides. So the chances are that he was wounded then, and having failed to recover sufficiently from his wounds was discharged in December 1917. But that's a complete guess...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Langemarck_(1917)

WP

I've see images of these records on my Ancestry account (military records) which confirms his battalion, overseas service and discharge date due to wounds as 31st December 1917. He was 20 years old at the time. I'm reluctant to post these record images as they are copyright but they can be seen on Ancestry. You could take out a free trial, I believe. The Royal Warwickshire Regiments records show that the 2/5th Battalion was recruited in Birmingham, but the 2/6th Battalion was recruited in Coventry. Richard Hirst joined the 2/6th Battalion according to the regiment's records so there's a little mystery there!

His Battalion took part in the Battle of Langemarck (16th - 18th August 1917, part of the third battle of Ypres) against the 4th German Army. Heavy casualties were incurred on both sides. So the chances are that he was wounded then, and having failed to recover sufficiently from his wounds was discharged in December 1917. But that's a complete guess...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Langemarck_(1917)

WP
Thank you again for your time found more information in 4 hours spent 18 months trying to go forward no joy very grateful blueboy

Hi all just following on from the fantastic results I received yesterday. Would it be possible to check the Birmingham papers I have been told that they published casualty lists, it would possibly throw more light on where me Grandad was wounded if so would you know which papers I would need to research. Once again a big thank you to you all !! blueboy

hello blueboy we are always happy to help on this forum especially members such as yourself who have at least tried doing their own research first and then turn to us when hitting brick walls...you would be surprised at how many people dont give it a go themselves then expect us to do it all for them. with very little thanks

we love a challenge on here so i am sure someone will be happy to look for any newspaper articles and electoral rolls info you are looking for

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
The only listing of Richard William Hirst is of a 10 year old boy knocked down and killed by a car in Leeds in 1935. A search with the surname first produced no results

I did check e rolls but as there were no rolls during the war I can't pin down the move. I only found the addresses you have - Lord Street and Reginald Road.

The only listing of Richard William Hirst is of a 10 year old boy knocked down and killed by a car in Leeds in 1935. A search with the surname first produced no results

unfortunately i got the same results from the newspaper archives......blueboy i would not give up just yet though..its surprising what can turn up

lyn

hello blueboy we are always happy to help on this forum especially members such as yourself who have at least tried doing their own research first and then turn to us when hitting brick walls...you would be surprised at how many people dont give it a go themselves then expect us to do it all for them. with very little thanks

we love a challenge on here so i am sure someone will be happy to look for any newspaper articles and electoral rolls info you are looking for

all the best

lyn

all the best

lyn
Hi Astoness, thank you for getting back to me have renewed my subscription to find my past and am ready to go again thank you for your time blueboy

Thank you mikejee my grandparents where in Lord st in1939 and moved to Reginald rd before 1942 mom and dad living with them is there any way of finding out if they where moved during the slum clearance or were bombed out,cheers blueboy

happy to help blueboy...i shall be renewing my subs to ancestry next week although ive been researching my lot for 10 years you never know what my pop up:) regarding the electoral rolls...ancestry have them up to 1955 and there is another site that go up to1965 i think mikejee knows which one but its not find my past...after that date its a trip to birmingham library

lyn

I did check e rolls but as there were no rolls during the war I can't pin down the move. I only found the addresses you have - Lord Street and Reginald Road.
Cheers pjmburns like you I did check e rolls no joy have you any idea when the slum clearance included Lord st Richard st and Adams st thank you blueboy

Back