• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Would it have been Barton's Bank into Whitehead Rd, across High St into Whitehead St? I've not seen the map but, hope Whitehead STREET isn't forgotten.

Yes that would be correct, it's the other end of the trip that's off the map, from Gerrard Street to Villa Street.

Post 5290 is a splendid photo. Difficult to give an exact date. Tram tracks were laid there in 1904 and the 5 route was unusual in that it had lots of single track and passing loops. I gather the Lozells Picture House opened in 1911 so it is after that date, however the Luftwaaffe removed it in 1942.
The lorry suggests an early WW1 period - of course it is uncertain how old the lorry is - but given the sparse motor traffic - in fact not much moving at all, does hint at a WW1 period.

I notice how many women wore pinnies on these old pics, you rarely see that nowadays, the changing times I suppose, my Wife never wore one. Eric

smashing memories as usual alan...i shall try and find that lollipop man for you..

judy i may have other pics of upper thomas st and clifton road st will post them for you when i find them..me files are a mess again lol
Hi steve wheeldon here, went to upper Tomas st, school between 1963-66, use to live bottom of upper Tomas st ,in Phillip st. Would love to see more photos. Thank you

I did a staff car drivers course driving bull nosed vanguards? Bloody awful car, twitchy steering & prone to oil leaks ( had to put a drip tray under the car at the end of the day). In Germany i drove fords, Zephyrs 4/6, & loved bombing down the Autobahn at over a ton. Not sure if you can do that on the Autobahn these day.:cool:

Be proud of our country, buy British.
You can, some sections have no speed limit

The Bristol Road, Selly Oak, near the junction with Chapel Lane. No exact date but double yellow lines were introduced in 1960 so probably a year or two after then. The road sweeper was keeping the road tidy ... just one last shovelful to put in his bin.
BristolRd_SellyOak.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
The Bristol Road, Selly Oak, near the junction with Chapel Lane. No exact date but double yellow lines were introduced in 1960 so probably a year or two after then. The road sweeper was keeping the road tidy ... just one last shovelful to put in his bin.
View attachment 130256
Surprisingly very little litter compared to todays scruffy litter louts.

Back