• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Thomas C Of E School Granville Street

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
I think this one may cause a little consternation, as I have the photo and I don't agree with the district it's tagged as. Though it is possible, lets just see if anyone can come up with the name and I will allow a little leeway with the location.

Attachments

• Where Schools #15.jpg
    Where Schools #15.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 185
absolutely no idea phil but i will just take a guess on the area for now and say erdington

lyn

Challenging one Phil. Looks like a 1900s (maybe 1920s/30s?) building to the left which has probably been extended, possibly linking two original buildings. Doesn't look to me that it was originally built as a school. Have no idea! But very a interesting choice. Viv.

As I said this one was a little complicated, I think fujifreak might have it with Granville St. The photo is tagged St Thomas School Ladywood. I have researched it a little and the best I can come up with is St Thomas C of E School Granville St Ladywood. The school was demolished in 1967. Is Granville St Ladywood, I always thought of it as more Edgbaston or even Lee Bank.

Morturn

The School you are thinking of on Stratford Rd, Sparkbrook was Christchurch. Thats another one I can't use now.

St. Thomas's C of E School in 1834 was in Granville Street (formerly Wood Street), in Holloway Head (according to British History online). There's no school listed in the name Granville Street. In 1907 a new site was acquired and a new building was built. I wonder if this is where confusion has arisen about location? Can't be sure if the later school was also on Granville Street, but assume so. Viv.

Viv

It says two pupils from St Thomas's School on Granville St watch the new School on Great Colemore St being built. The new school I believe is still there today though most of everything else has been flattened and rebuilt for a second time.

Sometimes memories haunted you,you know there are photo's out there but dont know where to start....My brother,my best friend Sandra and myself went to St Thomas School in Granville st Ladywood,we were in the school choir .In 1959 we did a concert at Birmingham Town Hall we sure in may have been in the November as the songs we sang were connected to war time remembrance day.Please any ideas where to start searching I would be most grateful.Denji.

I don't know if the Town Hall has any records but you could try the Birmingham Mail archives at the Central Library. The trouble is you would need to search through as they are not indexed.
I am also not sure where, if they exist, St Thomas school records would be but you could also try the library.

Janice

That's brought back memories! We had safety first talks, but they showed us a short film and handed every child a Cadbury milk bar at the end. This was in the late 50s. Think the talk/film might have been given by ROSPA. Viv.

Brilliant days, a much respected and liked (local) police FORCE, the goodies and the baddies knew exactly where they stood.

I think this is St Thomas's School in Granville Street. It's a large school, and seems to fit with the school numbers quoted on the British History online site below. Sorry, no date for the images.

Reminds me of a prison building. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 52
Another view of the safety first lesson in 1939. Lots of attentive faces. It was the first lesson given by police. Viv.

image.jpeg

Sometimes memories haunted you,you know there are photo's out there but dont know where to start....My brother,my best friend Sandra and myself went to St Thomas School in Granville st Ladywood,we were in the school choir .In 1959 we did a concert at Birmingham Town Hall we sure in may have been in the November as the songs we sang were connected to war time remembrance day.Please any ideas where to start searching I would be most grateful.Denji.
hi Denji,
I went to St Thomas's in the fifties I lived in Bishopsgate Street. my name was Tina Roberts. I also was in school choir run by a teacher called Mrs Ward I left to go to an open air school for a illness. as I was always in and out of Childrens hospital. we left the area summer 63.

I think this is St Thomas's School in Granville Street. It's a large school, and seems to fit with the school numbers quoted on the British History online site below. Sorry, no date for the images.

Reminds me of a prison building. Viv.

View attachment 114513View attachment 114514

Viv I do not know what date these photos were taken, but when I lived in William St 1955-69 I cannot recall such an expanse of the school as in pic 1 . I notice in the newspaper cutting etc that it says Holloway Head formerly Wood St, was that what Holloway Head was originally named or was the school elsewhere and then relocated to Granville St . What makes me so adamant is that the left side of the school in the picture covers some ground, and when you look at the thread Chequers Walk there is no sign of the school as that is where that frontage would have almost ended up

Back