• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bradford street

When i worked in Rea Street South,72/73,i often used to walk down to digbeth on my lunch break,saw a few cast members during those times,notably Ronald Allen.
And has been pointed out,The Castaways was indeed the club.

upload_2017-6-14_20-39-28.jpeg
bb0333.jpg
Im195210HVE-BKL.jpg
This company was, at one time, located in Bradford Street. It moved to Kings Norton. The first smaller poster is dated 1940, the 'photo 1968 and the large poster 1952.

I saw a picture, dated 1959, showing a Midland Red single deck bus parked in Bradford Street near Mill Street behind the main Midland Red coach station. The bus was a single deck S12 type, fleet no. 3733 NHA 733, new in 1950, and was destined for Coventry on the 158 route.
The building behind the bus had a prominent sign describing the company of W.G. Cheese Ltd., who boldly stated that they were factors to the cycle and motor trades.
I wonder about their history and what happened to them? A search here did not find anything.

Here's an old Bradford St building somewhere near Mill Lane I believe, J.

Attachments

• Warwick Arms Restaurant Bradford Street.JPG
    Warwick Arms Restaurant Bradford Street.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 45
nice photo jonob....be interesting to pinpoint the exact location....i thought it looked a tad up market for bradford st...do you have a date for it

lyn

Many thanks Mike, that is a first class photo. The photo I see, in a book, has the bus obscuring the ground floor. However in my photo, below the white coloured masonry and above the ground floor window arches, is a full length sign stating who they are and what they do. My photo does now show the entrance door, side street and bus park but does include a little of the building on the right. The building on the right has that white coloured fascia and part of the sign above (what may be a large window/entrance) is SERV........?
The photo in your post gives a run down appearance. The long sign I mentioned is not there, just a name over the doorway. I wonder if they have recently ceased trading or moved elsewhere? My photos states 'in around 1959', however the new coach station in Digbeth was opened I believe in 1958 so there may well have been re-developments in the area.

Am not sure exactly when I took the photo, but it would have been between 1969-73 I think I can see lights on the upper floor, so don't think they had ceased trading

Afraid I have to disappoint you, Seabird, no 214 was behind the back of the artist on the north side of the road. Below is attached two maps c 1889 showing 214 in red on different scales.
In directories 214 was listed as :

1841-78 Titmus Edward, boot & shoe maker

In 1833-39 he was at 188 Bradford St, which I am pretty certain is a different place , and that street has not been renumbered.
In 1829, he is just listed in Bradford St, with no number given

In the 1873 whites directory Mrs Sarah Titmus, dressmaker is listed at 214, but not Edward, though the directories were not always as comprehensive as one would wish
Mike

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_large_scale.jpg

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_smaller_scale.jpg
Hi Mike,

This is so interesting. I've been reading Census addresses as part of some family research and wondering what Court 3, 22 Bradford Road meant? It's so interesting to see where and how the courts fitted in with the address. Would you by any chance have the same type of map of the top end of Bradford Street?

Many thanks in advance

Solanche

Solanche. Hope this is what you want

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing nw end ~Bradford st.jpg
    map c 1889 showing nw end ~Bradford st.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 28
Hi Mike

Thank you so much for you prompt response. This is exactly what I was looking for, so thank you

What an amazing community you all are! :sun:

Afraid I have to disappoint you, Seabird, no 214 was behind the back of the artist on the north side of the road. Below is attached two maps c 1889 showing 214 in red on different scales.
In directories 214 was listed as :

1841-78 Titmus Edward, boot & shoe maker

In 1833-39 he was at 188 Bradford St, which I am pretty certain is a different place , and that street has not been renumbered.
In 1829, he is just listed in Bradford St, with no number given

In the 1873 whites directory Mrs Sarah Titmus, dressmaker is listed at 214, but not Edward, though the directories were not always as comprehensive as one would wish
Mike

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_large_scale.jpg

map_c_1889_no_214_Bradford_St_smaller_scale.jpg
Hi mikejee

Me again! I was wondering whether you could help me out with another map. At first I thought I was looking for 22 Bradford Street, but now I understand I am looking for Court 22 on Bradford Street. I *think* it was behind 266 or 267 Bradford Street (this is from looking through Census records)

Thanks so much in advance

Solanche

Has anyone got an image please of the front of the premises of H. Pountney Limited builders, decorators, plumbers of 315-316, Bradford Street Birmingham prior to its demolition for the redevelopment of the bus station.

A nice wartime photo Phil. I can (hopefully) just make out that the tram is on the 42 route which could mean that it is the end of 1939. Moseley Road and Stechford routes were diverted along Bradford Street at that time to a temporary terminus in Hill Street, rather than Albert Street due to track renewals at Rea Street/Digbeth junction.

Last edited:
Back