• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Christmas Quiz.

I'm going to make a digression from my own rules and say that Devon Street is correct so that we might get on with the ther two and one third questions.

Right we now have seven and two thirds questions answered correctly. Lets try and get the one third first. Obviously the question we need to complete is number six. "Two" said that the the Rev W Awdry author of the Thomas the Tank books had lived in Birmingham and "pjmburns" said that he had been the curate at Kings Norton church, but both left out the important connection to Birmingham I was after. It does have a connection to the books.

Didn't he write a book about the railway.

Yes John it has been mentioned that he wrote the childrens books Thomas the Tank Engine, but there is a connection to the books other than he lived here and was a Curate in Kings Norton.

Whilst I think about a couple of other clues.

Question 4

Dr Mason

Question 7

Mr Pratt

Is qn 7 something to do with the inventor of Cluedo who was born at 13 Brighton Road and later moved away but came back to Birmingham in 1980 - haven't found where yet.

John

It's more about the the Thomas the Tank books which he is famous for that I want to know.

Mike

you are on the right track, the first photo is of Brighton Road where he was born.

In 1942 whilst in Birmingham his son, Christopher. contracted measles. This was the catalyst for his books as he wrote a story for the boy entitled 'Edward's Day Out'. It was re-written, illustrated and read often. His wife, Margaret persuaded Wilbert to publish the book. Eventually it was and as they say ' the rest is history'.

radiorails

That's the bit of information I wanted that the Thomas the Tank books were actually written in Birmingham,

Janice,

Sorry about that, but my eyes are not that clever now, just finish the question off and I will make sure I attribute it to you this time.

The second photo is 9 Stanley Road where Anthony Pratt lived when he invented the game of Cluedo. There is a blue plaque to that effect outside the front door.
1546195721194.png

Janice I was looking more for that it was the house where he was living when he died, therefore the photos showed where he lived and died, but it's close enough.

Right we only need to answer question 4 now and that's the lot. I will be able to publish the results.

Thanks Phil - I was confused about the house as when I looked him up it suggested he died in a nursing home in Bromgrove. The I found him on the eroll in Stanley Road.

Janice

Not many of us are born and die in our homes do we? Where we were living when the event occurs is usually given as the address. Mid you I suppose Mr Pratt might have been born at 13 Brighton Road as most babies were born at home before the advent of the NHS.

The second photo is 9 Stanley Road where Anthony Pratt lived when he invented the game of Cluedo. There is a blue plaque to that effect outside the front door.
View attachment 130137

That's interesting, I never knew that.
I also didn't know St Chads and the Houses of Parliament were designed by the same architect.
We learn something new from BHF all the time!

It crossed my mind that No.4 might be Beryl Reid. A Scot, brought up in Manchester, but who could mimic the Brummie accent expertly.

Back