• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham's last tower brewery building

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Edit - extracts in this and the following 3 posts have been copied to this thread from the Saltley thread.

A couple of screenshots taken from Morturn’s video showing the roof garden on top of the derelict building. The water feature is looking good and the native silver birch trees are coming on well.
1570A411-A96A-4DD3-8CDB-EE5C55922FAB.jpeg5C2013F8-8CE3-40FD-972F-A18B9E423CA5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
For those not familiar with Brum, the first building in the shoot (mentioned by Pedrocut) is the old City Brewery on Cato St

Yes the two main buildings shown in the clip are still there (just about), obviously if they are listed the Council are waiting for them to fall down. As has been stated the old brewery in Cato Street North started out as the Vale of Evesham Brewery and then the Midland Brewery when it was bought out by Holders Brewery .........

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Mill, on Cato Street North, still standing derelict. its even got a roof top garden,,
20181114_100825.jpg
View from Inside J H Richards

20181113_132335.jpg
This is a view from Cato Street North,

This Cato Street North was quite popular apparently, it was all residential housing but now there is not one single house all commercial / industrial premises

With the loss of established brewers and the new methods of brewing has consigned the tower system of brewing to history. Yet the is still one building that survives in Cato Street North that once was a brewery.
1544100.jpg

The Ordnance survey of 1903 confirms the status as a brewery

catost.png

Last edited:
I was born (June 1930) next door to a tower Brewery, Atkinson's Brewery Queens Rd Aston, they actually owned the house. Incidentally they allowed the locals to use its cellars as a shelter during the war. I think it was demolished during the 60's

It was City Brewery. Here it is in 1956. An interesting structure to house the tower brewing system. Looks in a sorry state today. Viv.

D08788FE-DA52-4385-B864-BD12E7DBD776.jpeg

Last edited:
I think this is the same place as shown in another thread. The other thread includes photos from above - nicely showing the 'roof garden'.

Thanks for the pointer Alan. I’ve copied extracts from 4 relevant posts to this thread. I think this building deserves its own thread given its history and current state. Viv.

Hutton Brothers commenced brewing in Cato Street North in 1883. This brewery was completed in 1890 and that year Huttons Brewery ltd was established to run the Birmingham City Brewery. The property included the Rob Roy Stores fronting Cato Street North. The City Brewery was advertised for sale in 1900 and subsequently became the Vale of Evesham brewery. the clear out sale of brewery plant was on July 15th 1909.

Hutton Brothers commenced brewing in Cato Street North in 1883. This brewery was completed in 1890 and that year Huttons Brewery ltd was established to run the Birmingham City Brewery. The property included the Rob Roy Stores fronting Cato Street North. The City Brewery was advertised for sale in 1900 and subsequently became the Vale of Evesham brewery. the clear out sale of brewery plant was on July 15th 1909.

In November 1868 the Birmingham Daily Gazette reports, in its “election notes,” various meeting
places. One being The Brewery, Cato Street.

Brothers Richard Bray Hutton and Thomas Hutton initially had brewing premises at 4, Rea Street between c1881 and March 1889 - when they moved into their newly-built City Brewery in Cato Street North. The latter premises had been built on the site of the Saltley Brewery, operated by Richard Carr around 1860, and then John Gray's Rob Roy Brewery. The Cato Street brewery appears to ceased operating in 1915, when owned by Holder's, and probably sold when M & B took-over Holders in 1919. The brewery then became a bakery for many years.

With the loss of established brewers and the new methods of brewing has consigned the tower system of brewing to history. Yet the is still one building that survives in Cato Street North that once was a brewery.
View attachment 129466

The Ordnance survey of 1903 confirms the status as a brewery

View attachment 129467

Can I put a spanner in the works here. I have not researched this in detail but in my humble opinion the brewery is the building BELOW the words Brewery on the above map extract. This was the earlier brewery referred to above.

Last edited:
Can I put a spanner in the works here. I have not researched this in detail but in my humble opinion the brewery is the building BELOW the words Brewery on the above map extract. The building in the photographs, again IMHO, is the former bedstead works. Indeed, looking at the structure it does not have the look of a brewery - all those windows would be fine for a factory but not good in terms of brewing beer.

Further ... re pic in Post #8, the entry to the left of the bloke on the ladder led to Rob Roy Yard. This was between the bedstead works and the Saltley Brewery and is marked as such on a map surveyed in 1888. Trade directories of this period have the bedstead works at 27-9 whilst the brewery is at 20-1.

Last edited:
Kieron
Cannot disagree with your statements , but am a little concerned that the NLS overay puts the present building accurately at neither of those two positions (OK, I know that overlays are not always completely accurate ) and that the shape of the building corresponds far more to the shape of the brewery than to that of the bedstead works

Back