• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Erdington Memorial

This is spooky as I was just looking this chap up not 30 mins ago! There is a listing for Wamble which is miss spelt it should be as you quite rightly say William. South African born in Trans-val.
Buried at Helles Cemetery Turkey. Appears to have a brother Howard. Don`t know of another brother but these two are on the memorial at St.Barnabas. Howard is in the RN and therefore his body may be lost. Or buried at sea but more then likely lost. Hope this helps?

I don't think this William is the brother of the Howard buried at St Barnabas. See # 63

Have found a community already exists for St Barnabas memorial on the IWM site which lists the majority of the men and links to all their details. So, good news, a lot of the work has been done already ! Here’s the link https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/1059 There are about 12 men where there is no information (see the image below)

Nick. Not sure how much you can view without a subscription, but any problems let me know.

Viv.

Attachments

• D6499C25-6FC9-4CF8-9353-FEF0218CA546.jpeg
    D6499C25-6FC9-4CF8-9353-FEF0218CA546.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, I'm re-editing the image I placed in #3 to make it look as it originally did, removing the glare in certain parts, equalising the colours, and repairing the split in the wood which runs from top to bottom. If successful I'll replace the existing image. Thomas's name was one I could not quite make out ... :)

Re: #82. Horace H W Gray is on 1911 census at 30 Edwards Road, Erdington. Son of Thomas and Lucy. One older sister listed.
1539982548789.png

hi nick if you get the grant for a new memorial and the vicar of st barnabs is still against having it back in the church here is some advise off someone who is in the know

lyn

First you need to speak to a Churchwarden. St Barnabas probably has two. Then write to the PCC. (Parochial Church Council) every Anglican Church has to have one by law.
Make your position and complaint clear. If possible get the support of one or two parishioners.
It's in the Diocese of Birmingham so if all else fails go to the The Bishop, (Bishop David) you will find him through St Philips Cathederal.

An edited version of the image I previously placed in post#3
StBarnabasErdingtonMemorial_WW1.jpg
Edited 20/01/2021 ... A name Frank Bedding (as on the actual photographed memorial) has been altered to the correct name Frank E. Redding.

Original image before editing
ORIGINAL.jpg

Below shows the edited image inserted in the church picture from post#1
StBarnabasErdington_FullX.jpg
warmemorialsonline.org (post#83) say they have no images of the St Barnabas memorial so maybe the above images could be submitted if anyone is a member of that website.

Last edited:
Nice work OM. Be also worth trying to get a clear image of the decoration around the edge in case it’s needed in the future. Viv.

Hi Viv, I did spend more time on the names and removing the flash glare etc and also the split which moved some letters apart on long names in the middle column. Also because the camera was below the memorial, the top is narrower in the post#1 pic so I selectively widened the top of the memorial which makes the camera appear higher. The original was slightly tilted so I rotated left. I will take the frame off the original and work on it then re-attach it and see what it looks like.
Phil

Nice work OM. Be also worth trying to get a clear image of the decoration around the edge in case it’s needed in the future. Viv.
I've replaced the previous images in post# 89 with revised images which have brightened and sharpened frames. The main change was correcting an error on the bottom part of the frame. The images are about as good as I can get them.

Please note the original image was posted by forum member 'Subotone' in 2010 but lost when the forum was hacked in Oct 2011. It was uploaded to Coppermine in Nov 2011.

Nick - I think I have found a strong contender for Thomas Faulkner - he was one you had no info for earlier. Hope this is useful. (Lyn has seen this and agrees it is a strong contender).
Pioneer 124771 died 19 January 1916 (info attached). On the soldier's effects he left his belongings to his Mother, Susan and his brothers and sisters - the names match a family listed in Erdington on the 1911 and 1901 census - furthermore both parents are buried at St Barnabas - Father in 1912 and Mother in 1922. I am attaching 1901 census and the effects register. While I cannot say this is the correct person with 100% certainty there is a high chance it is the right person. 1911 file is too large but I hope you can find it yourself.

Attachments

• CWGC.JPG
    CWGC.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 3
  • effects.JPG
    effects.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 1901 census.jpg
    1901 census.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
An edited version of the image I previously placed in post#3
View attachment 128111

Original image before editing
View attachment 128118

Below shows the edited image inserted in the church picture from post#1
View attachment 128112
warmemorialsonline.org (post#83) say they have no images of the St Barnabas memorial so maybe the above images could be submitted if anyone is a member of that website.
How can I down load this image? It`s really good work.

hi nick if you get the grant for a new memorial and the vicar of st barnabs is still against having it back in the church here is some advise off someone who is in the know

lyn

First you need to speak to a Churchwarden. St Barnabas probably has two. Then write to the PCC. (Parochial Church Council) every Anglican Church has to have one by law.
Make your position and complaint clear. If possible get the support of one or two parishioners.
It's in the Diocese of Birmingham so if all else fails go to the The Bishop, (Bishop David) you will find him through St Philips Cathederal.
Hi, I am sorry for the late reply, I was expecting to receive emails to let me know of new messages. But I have not received anything at all. I will make a note of your advice, thank you.
I have today sent the vicar Freda Evans a fresh email.
I am tempted to cut and paste it on to the forum.
Your thoughts please?
Nick.

Nick - I think I have found a strong contender for Thomas Faulkner - he was one you had no info for earlier. Hope this is useful. (Lyn has seen this and agrees it is a strong contender).
Pioneer 124771 died 19 January 1916 (info attached). On the soldier's effects he left his belongings to his Mother, Susan and his brothers and sisters - the names match a family listed in Erdington on the 1911 and 1901 census - furthermore both parents are buried at St Barnabas - Father in 1912 and Mother in 1922. I am attaching 1901 census and the effects register. While I cannot say this is the correct person with 100% certainty there is a high chance it is the right person. 1911 file is too large but I hope you can find it yourself.
Hi PJ, well I am impressed, many thanks and yes I will check it out for certain.
That just leaves 3 other persons to find now.
I do apologise for the delay in replying, I thought that I would receive an email when something pops up. Lynn told me about your info. Thanks, Nick.

Have found a community already exists for St Barnabas memorial on the IWM site which lists the majority of the men and links to all their details. So, good news, a lot of the work has been done already ! Here’s the link https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/1059 There are about 12 men where there is no information (see the image below)

Nick. Not sure how much you can view without a subscription, but any problems let me know.

Viv.
Hi Viv,
I have taken a look at the site, its marvelous isn't it.
Some items are not correct and so I have forwarded the information to the owner.
But it looks as though a lot of time and trouble has been taken over this site.
Thank you for the link.
Nick.

Back