• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
How can I get rid of the adverts that now dominatey BHF pages. They are all Google ads and of no interest to me
Bob

Oh dear you will not be liked for asking that question you will be told that it help keep this forum going I personally hate detest the adverts and use this software https://adblock.adguard.com/en/download.html there is software on the web to stop them tracking you ,
Sorry I did not realise that they were the forums income, it was just that I could not get to posts as they seemed to block the whole page on my smart phone.
Bob

Part of the Forum's income, Bob, the rest is donations from members (see the Donate page) and amounts raised from raffles at the various Brum meetings, the next one being just before Christmas at the Jewellers'Arms.

Maurice

have to say the main page now seems completely surrounded by adverts was not so bad having them just at the top of the page but now we have them at the top..the bottom and on the right hand side above where it say.."staff online"...can be a little off putting the ones i dont like popping up in my face are the date a girl from different countries.. just noticed there is a TOP BRA one at the bottom of the page..far from being a prude but i just think there is a time and place for these sort of adverts...just my opinion but as said i think there is a way of blocking them so i will be looking into that..well my son will

lyn

I see no ads at all. Is it your browser settings? I am useing MS Edge on my ipad and laptop with no ads on page.

I see no ads on most web pages. Opera browser has a built in ad-blocker. I also use Ghostery as a anti tracking and cookie curb. No trackers on BHF it says, but 13 ads are blocked by Opera.
In fairness the place has to operate and does cost someone some money so consider a donation. This thread reminds us all. :grinning:

Last edited:
can someone who is in the know tell me that if i block the adverts will this affect the forums income??

thanks

lyn

Thats generaly the norm, a small payment per click.
It would be interesting to know how much ad revenue this site acutely generates and then discuss if it’s worthwhile.

I would be happy to bug a few quid in the pot to go advert free.

I have the Edge browser on my iPad and iPhone and it blocks all adverts without me doing anything in settings. I was a bit surprised because Apple's own Safari browser does not block adverts unless a block app is installed.

Have just gone to Edge, which I never use, on a laptop, and it does seem to not show the banner adverts, though still has then included at the bottom of the page, mixed with the random threads. However as Edge seems to ask me every time if I am a bloody robot, then there is even more reason to not use it. Would much rather have the adverts

I take that back about no banner adverts. Must have been a blip. Have just gone back on Edge and they now do show. It must be something to do with the ipad that blocks them

Lyn,

As Mort says, the site only gets revenue if you click on an ad, and it's pretty small revenue at that. My own site at its busiest period a few years ago - approximately 70 visits a day - took two years to raise £35 from ads. That's almost as much as it cost to clear the check from Greece! Far better to make the occasional donation and run an ad-blocker IMHO. Many newspaper sites either ask you to take out a paid subscription or remove your ad-blocker.

Maurice

I suppose we all have our computing devices set up differently and see different things. It amuses me that the big advertiser Google actually have official extensions for the Chrome browser which block adverts. Microsoft have ad-block extensions for the Edge browser in their Microsoft Store.
:)

I do not see any ads or pop ups whatsoever, I used to make the occasional donation to the forum, but when we started having the meet up raffles instead of making a donation I make a reasonable donation to that by way of a purchase of raffle tickets 3 times a year plus I always donate a prize. Myself I think it a more efficient and enjoyable way of upkeeping the forum and is why I do not feel guilty switching off the adverts, after all adverts were one of the reasons why I stopped watching television.

I do not see any ads or pop ups whatsoever, I used to make the occasional donation to the forum, but when we started having the meet up raffles instead of making a donation I make a reasonable donation to that by way of a purchase of raffle tickets 3 times a year plus I always donate a prize. Myself I think it a more efficient and enjoyable way of upkeeping the forum and is why I do not feel guilty switching off the adverts, after all adverts were one of the reasons why I stopped watching television.

phil as i know how much you donate at our meet ups you do more than enough...you do your bit along with our other members that can attend:) and for our members who cant make the meet ups there is always the donate button

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,

As Mort says, the site only gets revenue if you click on an ad, and it's pretty small revenue at that. My own site at its busiest period a few years ago - approximately 70 visits a day - took two years to raise £35 from ads. That's almost as much as it cost to clear the check from Greece! Far better to make the occasional donation and run an ad-blocker IMHO. Many newspaper sites either ask you to take out a paid subscription or remove your ad-blocker.

Maurice
Quite a few years ago - more than fifteen anyway - I used to get about 25 church newspapers each week for parishioners. Some did not sell, so we broke even or lost money. Eventually, people dying or leaving the Parish meant that the numbers ordered dropped to around five. Well we did make a very small profit on them however the administrative cost of writing and clearing cheques actually meant a loss. We now advise folk to take out a subscription to the newspaper if they want it.
So that gives an idea of what is often thought to be profitable, when studied, turns out not to be so.

have to say the main page now seems completely surrounded by adverts was not so bad having them just at the top of the page but now we have them at the top..the bottom and on the right hand side above where it say.."staff online"...can be a little off putting the ones i dont like popping up in my face are the date a girl from different countries.. just noticed there is a TOP BRA one at the bottom of the page..far from being a prude but i just think there is a time and place for these sort of adverts...just my opinion but as said i think there is a way of blocking them so i will be looking into that..well my son will

lyn

According to a banner that I keep getting, there are legions of beautiful Polish women eager to "date" me.
They'll soon go off the boil when they cop a load of my moosh !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back