• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Erdington Memorial

Excel to pdf.
click on file and scroll down to "export" it should then automatically convert to pdf for you. See images below.

Attachments

• 1539790301814.png
    1539790301814.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1539790331056.png
    1539790331056.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 4
Hello Lyn,
Well I am at the second stage of applying for a grant from CWGC.
I suppose realistically its a case of attaching the application and gaining comments.
But I am unsure if thats wise or not?
The excel sheet can be completed as an ongoing project, although it would be nice to have it completed by the end of the year. Its a time thing, and then submit it with the application as a show of commitment.
One thing does worry me though, the Vicar of St.Barnabas is not keen on the idea of having a Memorial replaced in the church. It does not go with the decor apparently.
And so I am contacting the British legion for finding a new home within Erdington as and when the memorial is rebuilt.
So practical ideas are welcome.
Nick.

Does the Vicar permit sinners to enter the Church?

Hi Nick - an excellent idea and the members here will give help where they can and post information on here. With regards to your comment about the placement of the plaque - in my church it would not be a decision made by the minister alone but would be decided by our parish committee. I would perhaps contact the Bishop's office to enquire what permissions are needed, and from whom, in order to get the memorial restored. If it is a decision by the vicar alone then you would have to fall back on the second idea. It may be that the British Legion will be able to advise on permissions needed.

good advise jan

lyn

good advise jan

lyn
I think at this stage that its best to see if i get funding and then deal with that issue as and when the situation arises.
That said though, in my opinion it would be a strong negotiation starting point for all those descendants on the memorial to make a signed petition with as many descendants as possible on it.
I dont know how many people would have to sign it, but if there were a descendant for every named soldier on the memorial then I think it would be quite unshakable.
But thats just my personal opinion.
We can not make people do something against their will, and I would be against that.
Persuasion is a better tool.
For me the argument is whats best for the community, and a singed petition in this case would carry weight.

ok nick so back to the job in hand...if you can (and there is no rush) list as you find them the mens name..rank and regiment numbers on here i am sure that some of our members will try and find some that are not on your list...hopefully between us we can find a few.. contacting.the british legion is a very good idea

lyn

Attachments

• Alphabetical Just Names.docx(1).pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 25
Possible:
Frederick Ernest Chance of 37 Copley Hill Erdington. Born Abt 1898, reg No 267315, 16th Battalion Royal Warks. Next of Kin Mother Mrs Emily Chance. Enlisted 4th Sept 1916 aged 18, killed in action 27th Sept 1918.
1539800537680.png
Had an older brother Thomas - just trying to see if he is the other Chance on the memorial.

and also nick to add to janices 2 men you can update your list with 2 more who as i said earlier are 2 of our men from our postmans plaque...made an error earlier it was albert sharp who is buried at st barnabas not leadbetter as i originally thought..info as follows
leadbetter info.jpgsharp info.jpg

The internet page describing St Barnabas states that the Church was built in 1827, but fire caused irreparable damage in 2007. The Church's world was turned upside down.

Also during the Great War, 1914-18, the Church's World was turned upside down. Inside the Church in 1920 the Memorial was unveiled in tribute to the men of the parish who had sacrificed their lives.

“Let light perpetual shine upon them.”

I am sure that the majority of parishioners would agree that the fire should not be allowed put out this light. Surely a place can be found in the “impressive, glass fronted new build, incorporating the wide and spacious Lighthouse conference room”

seems she does not think bringing the memorial (containing the names of 138 fallen men) back into the church will go with the new decor and i totally agree with you pedro as i would imagine many others do but for now i think we should concentrate on helping nick find as many regimental numbers and the regiments the men served in which will all hopefully help in his quest to gain a grant to have a replacement memorial made the list of names can be found on post 29 so please help if you can folks ...thanks

lyn

Back