• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memorial found in a skip

Got it now. The palm frond signifies victory over death. (Good old Google !)

It does indeed, its just that these 'feathers' did not quite strike me as palm fronds which tended to be from the Victorian times. Ill look at it again soon.

I wonder if we could track down any former members of the congregation of the Church of Christ, Moseley Road, which closed in 1980 when the (United Reformed) congregation there moved to the new St Paul’s church centre on Edward Road to join with the Anglicans? It’s the building I mentioned in post #187 (with the skip photographed outside in c.2010!), which is now the Islamic Relief Centre. It would fit with the geographical focus and (what seems to me) the Non-Conformist overtones in the choice of epithet.

There’s also St Mark’s Mission church on Wenman Street to consider.

i agree mrsfry it is worth looking into this church now...how weird it would be if we were to find out that the plaque was sitting in that skip outside all the time in 2010 ( see post187) ....stranger things have happened...:rolleyes: ps looking at street view i think there are 2 foundation stones on the front of the building...would be interesting to know what they say if anyone is passing that way

todays view

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl...hUKEwib2eLs9fXdAhVICMAKHQo7Aq8Qpx8wDnoECAoQDg

lyn

Last edited:
This morning I got an email from Rob Rolfe who started all of this.
"As a result of the BBC coverage, I am now pretty certain of the origin of the plaque. I will have to do a lot of checking, and still have no idea how it came to us. I will be in touch."
I have written back to ask what he's found.

Looks interesting ...

For information, three airmen died in the accident at RAF Aston Down on 20-Mar-1945,
Typhoon JP433 55OTU, collided with an Anson aircraft on approach to RAF Aston Down.
Mason James Alfred F/S (Birmingham)

Anson DJ471 was hit by a Typhoon JP433 55 O.T.U. whilst on approach at RAF Aston Down
Brown James Waldron T/O (Llandudno)
Hill Frank F/O (Hopton St Margaret)

Church of Christ was demolished by 2017 (?) - a few images on the link below but sadly no interior ones. The church suffered bomb damage in WW2.

Apparently there was a large house in the grounds used as a hall according to post #23 on that thread. It is also referred to as the ‘memorial hall’. Interesting.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/church-of-christ-sparkhill.48453/page-3
Viv

This may be irrelevant now that the origin of the plaque may be about to be unveiled (interesting! ), but I think the church that you are referrring to as demolished, Viv, is the Anglican church of Christ Church, Sparkbrook. Church of Christ, Moseley Road, was United Reformed. Awaiting the answer!

This morning I got an email from Rob Rolfe who started all of this.
"As a result of the BBC coverage, I am now pretty certain of the origin of the plaque. I will have to do a lot of checking, and still have no idea how it came to us. I will be in touch."
I have written back to ask what he's found.

thanks wam im not sure if mr rolfe is aware of this forums input but it would be nice if he could share what he has found so far as it will help this forums research... we have done rather a lot in a short time...dont want to be going on a wild goose chase so to speak

thanks wam

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn - re: #275 it is difficult to separate the buildings where you posted street view as there is the library then the baths all in one and then I think the building mrsfry is referring to which lies back slightly. I have ringed 2 things - are these what you mean?

Attachments

• 1538992902053.png
    1538992902053.png
    526.9 KB · Views: 15
yes jan thats the building posted by mrsfry post 187 with the skip outside...just wondered if your circles were foundation stones...hard to tell

10C814C3-9BA2-4F65-8270-5D135F6FB29F.jpeg31FB07BE-10BF-4445-8B55-C2BB838AFF90.jpeg
Never good pictures from the Birmingham Daily Post, but the two from Armastice Day here are from Nov 1923, one showing a marvelous turn out in Victoria Square, and the other "a vacant chair" for the boys of Balsall Heath and South Birmingham.

could have already been mentioned on this thread but that map also shows a meth church opposite the baths and a club just down from the meth church

lyn

Oh! Lyn, a meth church? That sounds like a place for drinking methylated spirit's. :eek: I guess you meant Methody. :D

could have already been mentioned on this thread but that map also shows a meth church opposite the baths and a club just down from the meth church

lyn
For info the "club" is listed in Kelly's as: Brunswick Club & Institute Lim" have attached the rest of the list for that side of the road.

Attachments

• 1539031380136.png
    1539031380136.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 9
As I have already mentioned to Lyn, as far as I am aware the Brunswick club had no memorial. Looking at the plaque by the date at the bottom I see the name "Mason" but I can't make out the rest of it. If it's G Mason then there is probably a connection with the warehouse in Bradford Street which was only a short bus or tram ride from most of the addresses on the list that I read.

I don't know if or when we'll find out what the plaque really was but there do seem to be a lot of memorials that have either disappeared or wound up in inaccessible places.

Rob Rolfe said - it is thought they attended a congregational church - but that is all other than chatting about the Stone brothers.

Any researcher into the UK Congregational Church needs to note that three quarters of that Protestant denomination merged with the Presbyterian Church of England in 1972 forming the United Reformed Church. Around 600 churches did not join in the merger. A further merger by the URC with similar beliefs took place in 1981.

Last edited:
It also leaves two of the men who don't appear to have belonged to that denomination, one buried in a Catholic churchyard and the other commemorated on a C of E mrmorial - see my posts #84 & 85.

Maurice

Back