• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Memorial found in a skip

My husband's great-grandfather, John Fry, was a neighbour of Harry Boucher (both lived on Sherbourne Road, Balsall Heath) when the 1911 census was taken. Looking through his enlistment documents just now I see that he (Fry) listed his 'official club' as The Flower Pot pub on Arter Street. I'm not suggesting that this might be the answer (in any case, Fry had moved from Sherbourne street by 1916), but it does make the point again that pub communities had very strong quasi-familial connections for soldiers. I wonder if a systematic search for demolished/converted pub buildings in the central part of where the men's homes cluster would be useful? I moved from there about six years ago, but remember lots of demolition and development, especially on the Moseley Road.

My husband's great-grandfather, John Fry, was a neighbour of Harry Boucher (both lived on Sherbourne Road, Balsall Heath) when the 1911 census was taken. Looking through his enlistment documents just now I see that he (Fry) listed his 'official club' as The Flower Pot pub on Arter Street. I'm not suggesting that this might be the answer (in any case, Fry had moved from Sherbourne street by 1916), but it does make the point again that pub communities had very strong quasi-familial connections for soldiers. I wonder if a systematic search for demolished/converted pub buildings in the central part of where the men's homes cluster would be useful? I moved from there about six years ago, but remember lots of demolition and development, especially on the Moseley Road.

Also social clubs?

thats great mrsfry another string to our bow so to speak...we know that not all ww1 records survived but i wonder if someone could check out a few of the names on the plaque to see if their enlistment records are online as it could provide a connection between the fallen men...also need to check out the flower pot pub arter st...never heard of this one although this area is not my neck o the woods

lyn

mrsfry unless you already have one i do have a photo of the flower pot pub if you would like me to post it just let me know

lyn

no trouble mrsfry here it is..far as i know its the only photo of this pub...one phil found i believe..you are quite welcome to save it

lyn

the flower pot arter st.jpg

Just a couple of thoughts (wild stabs in the dark really)... These are two buildings in the area which I remember as having a lot of work done on them in the last 8 or so years: the building next to the Baths, which is labelled as a church in the 1910 map, and the New Inn. Here are the google streetviews of them from about 2010. The (now) Islamic Women's Hostel even has a skip outside it in the picture, but this seems like it would be too much to ask for!

1538747185423.png 1538747434558.png

“but so far, community searches and discussions with local history groups have proved fruitless.”

No mention of BHS in name. I don’t agree that searches have been fruitless! It has discovered the history of the men who would have been forgotten.

quite right pedro my feeling now is that someone will turn up who knows where this plaque originally was..the net has been cast wide...what has pleased me and for now is surely the most important thing is on remembrance day next month these men will not be forgotten as they will receive a service...couple of quotes here from the report

"Eventually, it would be great to get the memorial put on display, perhaps in the area local to where the men were from."
In the meantime, he is content with it going on display at Emmanuel Church for Remembrance Sunday while the conflict is in its centenary period."

lyn

Last edited:
Well, to me, the Drill Hall looks to be the most likely former home of the memorial, and certainly accommodates all of the varying religious denominations, the varying occupations, and the spread of home locations. Certainly, if you were to put money on it, it is the best bet so far! It would seem that if this is the case, it's new safest permanent home should be the Hall of Memory, but perhaps I am jumping the gun a little.

Maurice :)

Balsall Heath Voluntary Training Corps was in existence from at least mid-1915. It was one of around 20 VTC’s in Birminghm at that time. Although voluntary (and if this is the group relevant to our men), they must have in time signed up - originally VTCs were mostly men who couldn’t serve and they were self-funded units.

I notice several of the men went on to join artillery regiments and the Royal Warks (see Pedro’s clipping post #193).

Can anything else now be found out about Balsall Heath Drill Hall and Balsall Heath VTC ? Viv

Last edited:
Viv,

Someone must have actually owned the building - was it even originally a drill hall. Too early for the Land Registry, but maybe Birmingham Archives have some papers. Rates Dept would know, but are generally reluctant to pass on information to the public.

Maurice

It cannot be the Drill Hall on land by the railway station mentioned in #70 because the map in #71 shows it had been built over with well established houses (Runcorn Rd) by a least the start of WW1. One of the men lived in Runcorn Rd. So we need to find the location of another Drill Hall in Balsall Heath. An 'Orderly Room' at 404, Ladypool Rd is mentioned in #193.

Here are some veterans celebrating, in 1914, the 51st anniversary of the parade in Calthorpe Park.
The Volunteers became the Territorial Force about 1908, therefore maybe a search under that name?

I believe may old Volunteers were against the change. Maybe reorganised and the Drill Hall lost.

19662C66-634D-487E-9180-2D2B08A03759.jpeg

... So we need to find the location of another Drill Hall in Balsall Heath. An 'Orderly Room' at 404, Ladypool Rd is mentioned in #193.
In 1915 Kelly's directory 404 Ladypool Road (on corner of Birchwood Road) is listed as St Barnabas Club - E Fortey secy. Today it is Ladypool Cycles. Nothing listed in 1940 (the next directory online).

Phil,

Electoral Rolls for 404 Ladypool Road are only online from 1922 to 1962, and appear to be private residents. In 1911 John Hendon Boocock was an insurance office manager living at 81 Church Road, Moseley. I believe his death was in 1927.

Janice - snap! :)

Maurice

I did have a look because on old maps it looked like a normal private house. That is interesting about St Barnabas Club would it be connected with a church and for young people?

I suspect the Stoney Lane one became what was the TA Barracks but is now the Army Reserve Centre. Still active - round the corner from where I live - that is how I know. Would think if they had a plaque it would still be there.

For Viv re: Herman Bates. His address is Smethwick. Haven't found him on 1901 census to see if he lived near Balsall Heath.

Attachments

• probate.JPG
    probate.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 6
  • effects.JPG
    effects.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 7
  • effects 2.JPG
    effects 2.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1911 census.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Done some more Kelly's checks on 404 Ladypool Road. 1900 it is listed as a drapers shop. No entry in 1905 or 1908 and 1913 it is St Barnabas Club.

Not sure as I think that is St Agatha's and. although, St Barnabas is now served from there it was a separate church until 1990, so not sure we can discount it.

Back