• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memorial found in a skip

brill pedro cant make out the name of the co where raymond worked but it was not the gun factory maybe just a few more would at least discount the same place of work..thanks pedro

lyn

Under 53 Malvern St. There is H Howes for “The City Battalion” list of applicants in the Sept. 1914 Birmingham Daily Post.

This does not tally with the list, so maybe there is another Malvern Street?

In the Birmingham Daily Post for July 1918 Harry is posted as missing. The list says he died in June, so maybe later than July they received the sad news. RIP

E40F833F-1891-4D09-AD35-510E39968196.jpeg

As an aside it appears to me that this has turned into a marvelous thread. 100 years after the end of the Great War 32 casualties have been remembered even though they were confined to the skip. RIP

Some very helpful information coming out here. I think I shall gather the information together at some point about the soldiers and keep it on a closed thread like we did for our Erdington postmen. That way it’s quick and easy to access for anyone interested. Keep posting to this thread please, very interesting information being uncovered. Meanwhile the hunt continues ..... ! Viv.

As an aside it appears to me that this has turned into a marvelous thread. 100 years after the end of the Great War 32 casualties have been remembered even though they were confined to the skip. RIP

absolutely pedro...i would like to think that wherever they are these men know that they most certainly have not been forgotten now and who knows as with the fallen postmen some of their rellies may come forward:)

thanks for freds snippet pedro...again no work place connection but it does mention that he was a pupil at clifton road school balsall heath...could be getting somewhere now....find a few more who attended the same school and we could have cracked it...only could mind..

lyn

Last edited:
yes phil as said in my last post...the newspaper snippets could well solve this one

ly

Also interesting is the addition of J.A. Mason's name on the bottom of the memorial in 1945 ... it seems that whatever linked them was still active 25 or so years after the original memorial was set up.

i think that makes 3 or 4 different schools now so its swaying away from a school connection...many thanks pedro these snippits build up such a lot of info about these brave men

lyn

Lots of valuable information here. So I’ve set up a new thread called Balsall Heath Memorial so that we can capture all this additional information in one place. (The thread title might be temporary depending on the outcome of research to find out more about it). It’s a closed thread intended to record any information about the men named.

Please continue to comment on this thread and I shall extract information to post to the new thread.

Excellent collaboration going on here everyone - something BHF does so well. Thank you all. Viv.

The last entry on the list is JA Mason at Herbert House, Moseley....RAF VR and died 20 March 1945.

However this clip from the Birmingham Daily Post for Dec 1917 is for David Evans also RAF and Herbert House!

9169E682-0C11-4B9B-8525-DBD0161D05B7.jpeg

Last edited:
The clips in the above posts are obtained from direct entry of the address, so more may be found by a different search.

Back