• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

There’s a good collection of photos on this link. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dapgy/

I remember those arches in the class photos very well. They used to face Marsh Hill Girls’ entrance - although there were tarmac tennis courts/netball courts and grass separating the two. Viv

I was thinking I'd have to go there next time I'm in Birmingham. They must have some photographic record of the school.

Hope so Phil.

The whole site has completely changed as you probably know, the Bilateral has gone, the MH Girls building has changed (or rebuilt ? Not sure).

As you’ll remember this was one big site housing three schools.

I know there are documents in the National Archives. It’s possible these contain details of the development/opening of the school. So you never know, there might be images in the documents. Viv.

Marsh Hill Boys came into being in 1959. The girls’ school opened in 1960. Viv.

Last edited:
I attended 1968-1974 and the G & S, Shakespeare etc extravaganzas were still (if I remember correctly) going strong and in my opinion could give professional productions a run for their money.

The teachers there were more than teachers. They were educators. Some still wore their gowns, though had stopped wearing their caps. Strict, fair and didn’t need text books to teach their subject.

I was there 69-71. From memory we did Mac the Knife and Burke and Hare at the boys school and My Fair Lady and Yeoman of the Guard at the girls school

The school was opened in 1959 and shared the same campus as Stockland Green Secondary Modern and Marsh Hill Girls Grammar School opened in 1960. Edit. A link to Marsh Hill Girks Grammar Tech is here. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-grammar-tech-school.48205/page-2#post-609775

I was in the first intake which comprised of a first form of 5 classes (11 Plus) and a similar 2nd form (12 plus)
The school and its teachers had a lasting effect on my life and sadly I have lost touch with the many friends I made.
Maybe, just maybe there is someone out there who was in that first intake, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Hi Chris -Remember me Patrick 'Maggie' Maguire fly half rugby team good friends with the Boddy twins.Known as very 'laid back'

I was there 1969-1971 (6th form only). not all the shows were G&S.
Infact while I was there the boys' school did "Mac the Knife" and "Burke and Hare" and the girls' school did "My Fair Lady" and "Yoeman of the Guard"

The school was opened in 1959 and shared the same campus as Stockland Green Secondary Modern and Marsh Hill Girls Grammar School opened in 1960. Edit. A link to Marsh Hill Girks Grammar Tech is here. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-grammar-tech-school.48205/page-2#post-609775

I was in the first intake which comprised of a first form of 5 classes (11 Plus) and a similar 2nd form (12 plus)
The school and its teachers had a lasting effect on my life and sadly I have lost touch with the many friends I made.
Maybe, just maybe there is someone out there who was in that first intake, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
I was there in from 1961 to 1966. I was definitely a 'problem' child. Wound up being expelled in 1966, didn't take 'o' levels although I was supposed to come back to do it. Went to University as a mature student and got a BSc (Hons) 1st in Behavioural Sciences (ironic isn't it?). I'm retired now
Anyone have any pictures from that time? I remember I was in 'S' classes and teachers I remember were Mr Platt (scary), Mr Hellings, a Chemistry teacher we called 'Crippin' and an Art teacher who's name escapes me who played Bob Dylan albums in the class. There was also a teacher called Bevan. Had a friend called Eddie Zoltanski and I used went to see Birmingham City play Wolves away with 'Mo' (Mohammed).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there from 1959 - when it first opened - to 1965. Form teacher was Mr Probert form 1a.

Went there from 66 thru 72. Was in the R stream. Steve Carter (The Class Redhead). Have been in touch with a few others, Malcolm Coghill, Pete Sammon from the M stream, John Bentley, Gary Dolphin,

I attended 1968-1974 and the G & S, Shakespeare etc extravaganzas were still (if I remember correctly) going strong and in my opinion could give professional productions a run for their money.

The teachers there were more than teachers. They were educators. Some still wore their gowns, though had stopped wearing their caps. Strict, fair and didn’t need text books to teach their subject.
I attended from 1968-1974 too. I don't remember you Paul, not without a photo. I didn't have many friends, wasn't a very likeable character. I have very fond memories of being at the school, especially sports including playing football (Richard Smith was our keeper), and athletics. I was an all-rounder and competed for Warwickshire at High Jump & Triple jump. I was fast but the Hassel twins were fast too, so I ran position 1 in the 4 x 100m relay. The only teachers name I remember is a Mr Miller who we nicknamed 'Windy Miller'. The boy's and Girl's schools joined together when I went into the 6th form, at the same time as my parents split-up, so my education petered off. My best friend was Robert Smith. I remember a school play, where a boy called Oneil, kept walking onto the stage with a glass of water, and at the end of the play when asked what he was doing he told us that the school was on fire. I have so many good memories I can't mention them all. I visited the area recently to take a look at the school but couldn't get to see it, the area seems to have been re-developed. And I can't seem to find many posts from ex pupils either.

Went there from 66 thru 72. Was in the R stream. Steve Carter (The Class Redhead). Have been in touch with a few others, Malcolm Coghill, Pete Sammon from the M stream, John Bentley, Gary Dolphin,
Who are you Glamdring? I'm Pete Sammon, so I'm really curious now. You would obviously remember, Beanhead, Crippen, Caggy Horsecroft, and scary Mr Smith who used to give you the option of the Van Der Graff Generator instead of a detention.

Who are you Glamdring? I'm Pete Sammon, so I'm really curious now. You would obviously remember, Beanhead, Crippen, Caggy Horsecroft, and scary Mr Smith who used to give you the option of the Van Der Graff Generator instead of a detention.
Steve Carter mate

How you doing Pete. I wonder if we could drink as much on our 65th as we did the week of our 18ths.

Now living in Columbus Ohio burbs. Looking at places in Florida to retire to.

How's Paula. My ears are still ringing from tge telling off she gave me that Saturday night when i got you home from the Dirty Duck.

Back