• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

mrpastry

I can do you two of the pubs you are looking for, The Lord Nelson & The Oakfield Tavern.

Phil
Phil, can't thank you enough for posting a pic of the Oakfield Tavern, I lived there til I was 8 and my Dad was the last landlord. I don't have any pics of the pub, only me at school. The pubco made us leave so the place could be demolished, I was gutted. Dad died 2 years later, funny how a daft pic can make u feel like you got a part of your life back!!!

Lia

We always try our best to answer requests for information here on this forum, I think between the members of this forum we have a pretty good database and the personal knowledge must be hard to equal so if you want to know or see anything else you can be sure the members here will do their very best to find an answer for you.

I looks, at an approximate guess, to be mid 1920's. But others may know differently. ;)
Trawling for information about this place brigs up a couple of dates. The earliest is 1842, an auction being held there (not the place I add), the second is 1858. I got the impression that the second date was when the building in the photograph was built, which suggests there was possibly an older place there beforehand.
A popular place for dinners and meetings, Phil mentions The Press Club in another thread, I have seen mention of Coldstream Guards Association, Institute of Brewing and Hall Green Bowling Club. I suspect there are man more names associated with the place.
In another thread here, a poster mentions he mother being a barmaid there in the early 1960s.
I believe there is much that might be found about this place, given its central location in the city and its longevity.

Last edited:
Another Old Pub Post#700

the glassmakers arms..granville st..dated 1961
I used to fetch 2 pints of mild in a bottle from here late 50's early 60's ,old Jack that used to be the gaffer used to give you a bar of chocolate while he pulled the ale , all was going good till they started putting stickers over the cork.
p700-1-img898.jpg

st pauls tavern..ludgate st...dated 1989

I worked in George St 71-77 used to go in here on a lunchtime , little chap named John kept it , can't remember the barmaids name though
p700-2-img899.jpg

the brewers baker..ravenhurst st..dated 1989

700-3-Camp_Hill_Brewer___Baker_PH.jpg

the white horse cellars..constitution hill..dated 1989

p700-4-img902.jpg

Today I went past where the Huntsman used to be in Harborne, it's going to be a block of fourteen apartments! From the shape of the frame they won't be very big.
rosie.

This photograph may be elsewhere in the forum but just in case it's not...
The Queens Head pub Aberdeen St, Winson Green, Birmingham 1955.
29472507_10216061612718921_5965018359287250944_n.jpg

unusual design and shape for a pub BB...looks more like a factory..mind you it could have been for all i know:D...new one to me so thanks...we also have a thread for aberdeen st if you wanted to post it on there as well...

lyn

Two ex pubs in Highgate.

Adelaide Street - it is now Moon Vapez Mist, it used to be The Carpenter Arms.

Corner of Dymoke Street and Darwin Street. It's now the Highgate International Mini Market. It used to be The Peacock.

My great grandfather kept pubs in Aston in the early 1900s.
Joseph Griffin (1863-1921) In 1911 he was managing the Hope & Anchor and in 1915 he was managing the Castle Tavern
I am interested in learning more about the pubs (photos etc.) and if anyone knows of a resource to find out more about publicans in that era.
Below is a photo exact year and location unknown
Any info would be much appreciated

upload_2018-5-27_8-8-17.png

Posted this before but. ..My great great aunt and uncle kept the Pen and Wig (or Wig and Pen) in Aston.
I have the spirit measure from it, which reads just a thimble full, a double maybe, shaped like a brass thimble,.
They were Frankie and Florrie Turner. Aunty worked at the Khardoma before that. They married in the early 1920's soI am thinking it would be then.

Maurice
I would have said that the cottage of Winson green picture was taken from the Benson road school angle
Looking across to the cottage which would have been the bottom of Don street
I will say another way of putting it to our members walk down Bacchus road Winston green bear right angle down towards Benson road school
And the first turning on your right hand which is a very small red it brings you to the bottom of old Don street and you would be facing it
The pub as you are walking to it and if you walk up Don street you would walk onto lodge rd
And as son as you step out onto lodge road on your emeciate right there was another old pub with railing in front of it
Becasuse of the bend of lodge road and the pavent was very narrow on that section, best wishes Astonian,,,,,
The Winson Green picture is of the Cottage of Content in Norman Street, off Winson Green Road. The pub on the corner of Lodge Road and Don Street was the "Winson Green Tavern".

Description of photo:
An elevated view of Aston shed seen on the right and on the left, the line to Stechford as seen on 23rd March 1962. The Stechford line can be seen to be on a falling gradient as it approaches the road overbridge which is carrying Long Acre over the railway. The line on the far left, with an open wagon standing on the track, provides access to Hardings private siding. Obscured by the ex-LMS 4F 0-6-0 locomotive, which is emitting a lot of steam, is the shed's 60 foot turntable which was installed in the 1930s. The large number of coal wagons standing on the sidings to the left of the 4F is evidence of the large amount of coal required by the shed's locomotive allocation each day.

Worked at the Blakesley in the early 80’s - for a manager called John J Jordan - immediately after it was refurbished and changed it’s name to the Village Arms. Think the brewery might have had second thoughts about the change when a brick came sailing through a window and landed on a table where a progress meeting was being held !! There were problems most of the time due to the locality & the local population. There are a few stories I could tell from my time there. JJJ left to take up a tenancy at the Man O’War in Wheeler Street - and I followed him there - till just after the Handsworth Riots - then I retired from the pub business. LOL

Worked at the Blakesley in the early 80’s - for a manager called John J Jordan - immediately after it was refurbished and changed it’s name to the Village Arms. Think the brewery might have had second thoughts about the change when a brick came sailing through a window and landed on a table where a progress meeting was being held !! There were problems most of the time due to the locality & the local population. There are a few stories I could tell from my time there. JJJ left to take up a tenancy at the Man O’War in Wheeler Street - and I followed him there - till just after the Handsworth Riots - then I retired from the pub business. LOL

Hi Sir Steve,

Bit of useless info, I used to frequent the Man-O'-War (wheeler street) in the 70's and went in there one evening with my uncle only to find that the Gaffer & my Uncle served in the RAF together (small world eh!)

Lozellian.

hi lozellian our mom most likely served you at the man o war she worked there during the mid 70s if memory serves me correctly.. pub long since gone and still just a patch of waste ground

lyn

Last edited:
I am told that the Redhill in Hay Mills as finally been sold and also the St Andrews in Green Lane,Small Heath is closed,what sad depressing places these areas have become.
Two more old locals from the 70's, both in Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook. oddly enough they are both still standing today. Only thing is they are both community centres for non drinking communities. The cottage of Content on the corner of Montpelier Street and the Hereford Arms on the corner of Priestley Rd. When my family lived in the area the only community centre they would have known would have been the local pub, before they were officially converted to just that.

My grandparents (Sidney and Nellie Brewer ) were licencees of The Hereford Arms in the 1960's until 1970. I have happy memories of our visits there, the coal fires, the Vimto and crisps we could help ourselves to and playing in the coalyard at the back of the pub. The only "pub grub" in those days were the cheese and onion cobs on offer. The bread was supplied by Hawleys Bakeries which was situated further along Kyrwicks Lane.

Hi Trude,

Our crowd didn't really move to the Hereford until the closure and demolition of the Talbot on the junction of Highgate Road and Larches Street in the mid 70's, though I may have been served by your grandparents on the odd occasion that I called into the Hereford for one reason or another. When we used the Hereford Sid & Pearl Isherwood were the hosts.

Back