• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

December 2018 edition the final edition

Although I've never read it, simply because it because I already subscribe to goodness knows how many magazines and paid-for websites, it's a shame to see if disappear from the Brum horizon. But all publications get to a point where they start to run out of material & subscribers and where the work involved does not produce sufficient profits to warrant carrying on.

Some may not agree with me, but times change and new material is more difficult to come by. Many thanks to Carl for keeping it going as long as he has.

Maurice

maurice you have hit the nail on the head perfectly...it is a shame but this type of mag is only as good as the stories that carl receives..maybe in a few years a new generation will want to share their memories and someone else will start up a new mag...i would also like to thank carl for all the hard work he has put in for many years putting this monthly mag together (hes a one man band apart from his printer) to give the people of birmingham the chance to share their lives with us all:)

lyn

A great shame as you say Lyn. I think part of the trouble is that we are losing a lot of people with all the memories and stories. Everyone is getting older and youngsters already share their memories (even if some are a blow-by-blow account of every minute of the day) on Facebook don't they?

The same thing is happening to the church magazine, I find it difficult to encourage people to contribute and end up writing a lot myself (or coercing my husband). Many of our subscribers are unable to get to church so enjoy the magazine but the younger members of the congregation use the website. I suppose it's just the march of time - I won't call it progress though.

Carl has done sterling work over the years and December will really be 'the end of an era'.

yes pen i agree with you..its a different world now from when carl started publishing the brummagem...lucky its lasted this long really..i am lucky in the fact that i have issue 1 and of course will be getting the last issue and i feel privileged that i have a small article going in the december issue :)

lyn

Historical information is difficult to record in many ways. BHF, for instance, has a good many Members that are still here - sadly others have gone - that can or were able to record personally, or relate to some historical facts, prior to 1960. Younger people can only go back to the 60's/70's in their memories. As time progresses, should BHF survive, remembrances up to the Millennium will be forthcoming and be a valuable contribution to BHF.
Given that BHF is apparently now in existence for fifteen years - even I have managed to stick it out for ten :eek: - it is amazing how much new information is still forthcoming and more new enquiries made. Admittedly some photos and information gets re-posted but that is not surprising given the wide range of material on the board.
A former Member mentioned that BHF was not the same as it had once been, but that is the nature of things. Much of the cities history is already here to be read and it can be a challenge to raise new topics - even more so for many who haven't lived in the city or for those who left for other pastures many years ago.
Whatever the thoughts about the present city are for Members time is moving on and new developments and achievements - some good, some bad - are taking place. Even with the new developments in the city some historical discoveries seem to be still cropping up. Hopefully that will still continue and give BHF more to discuss.

I have every issue and will deaply regret it’s loss. I know that it has been over 50 years since Birmingham was my home; many of my family have gone, those that are still alive live elswhere; the same with my friends; where I lived has disappeared and the geography has changed; but my spirit is still there. Many thanks Carl you have kept my spirit alive

Sospiri is right but I have been really pleased to see those who people of my age would call the younger generation contributing. Since the Industrial Age Birmingham has been a vibrant and global city and continues to reflect the fact that the whole world is a family, but still, ways of communicating and recording information continues to change.

1539609593828.png

My book The Girl from Guildford St was reviewed in the October Brummagem. I had huge difficulty getting it and I went to the publisher Steve in Blackbird Rd. He said the main reason it is finishing is that WHS are not longer stocking it. 1539609720014.png

hi gina just a small typo error the publisher of carls mag is in birdbrook road i think not blackbird road...hope you dont mind the correction...hope to see you at the xmas meet please reserve me a copy of your book

thanks

lyn

hi gina just a small typo error the publisher of carls mag is in birdbrook road i think not blackbird road...hope you dont mind the correction...hope to see you at the xmas meet please reserve me a copy of your book

thanks

lyn
Sorry, you are right, I had to go there to get my magazine, so I don't know how I made that mistake!!! Look forward to meeting you xx

its easy done gina im making them all the time:rolleyes: see you soon

all the best

lyn x

hi folks...for those of you who do not already know decembers issue of carl chinns brummagem mag will be the last one..

lyn

Thank you for that Lyn, I didn't know and it's sad news.
Like you, I feel privileged to have had an article accepted and printed in the October issue (My Nan and Grandad's photo on the bottom left of the cover in Gina's post) I will be sad to see it go.

thank you lyn for the informatiom only i have just received the last 12 editiomns so i will be reording and other 12 copies thety are brillient i have read alot of great pictures and stories and of people whom are memberssome are passed and some still with us

Hi Lynn. i know you are an arden fan of carl chinn just like myselfand i know we have members also arden fans and it was great to see you mentionioning dec his the last month of his mag ,i also want to say to other members that you can get back issues of carls mags for the last twelve months and even back from 2000 to 20003 issues they are great all for 12pounds mint condition and they take 6 days from the date you order as i have said there is alot of memories and pics of members in them may i also mention that about a book written by carl about the peaky blinders , i know this book as in the past been mentionioned but if like me you are intrested in the all our days in AAston and summer lane you will read such alot of info,and there is more well known familys mentioniond but i had not name them but i think alot of people would recall there names as well i highly reomend carls books it not just about the peaky blinders billy kimber i was amazed about the gangs and there well known people of summer lane it could be a nice christmas pressie for some one

I have just had my issue of Carl Chinns Brummagem magazine, and as usual a great read, so sad its the last.
I particularly enjoyed the article and photographs submitted by Lyn Harrington. Well done Astoness.

Back