• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dunlop

It's just struck me that 'Dunlop' is an unusual name. Is it an amalgamation of two words or names ? Viv.
My daughter's married name is Dunlop. Originally her husband's family name was Delapp and when they originally came over from Ireland when it was 'no Irish, blacks etc' they changed it to a more English sounding name - Dunlop.

'Delapp' what a great name Carolina. Sounds French. I understand why it was felt necessary to change to Dunlop. Such a shame though, as the original name is lovely. Viv.

'Delapp' what a great name Carolina. Sounds French. I understand why it was felt necessary to change to Dunlop. Such a shame though, as the original name is lovely. Viv.
Delapp or Delap originally ìs an Anglo Saxon name from Kent. Some of the family emigrated to Ireland. Google Delapp and there is a wealth of information.
Bob

During the 2nd World War my wife's Aunt worked at the Dunlop factory and according to the 1939 register her job was a "viewer A.I.D." I have tried to discover exactly what this means, particularly the A.I.D. but so far with no success. Does anyone out there have any ideas.
reddi

During the 2nd World War my wife's Aunt worked at the Dunlop factory and according to the 1939 register her job was a "viewer A.I.D." I have tried to discover exactly what this means, particularly the A.I.D. but so far with no success. Does anyone out there have any ideas.
reddi
Down in this neck of the woods it refers to virile bulls used to provide the necessary to needy cows Artificial Insemination Donor. Thank goodness your wife's aunt was female, so I will now try and find out for you what it meant in 1939
Bob

Down in this neck of the woods it refers to virile bulls used to provide the necessary to needy cows Artificial Insemination Donor. Thank goodness your wife's aunt was female, so I will now try and find out for you what it meant in 1939
Bob
I believe this may have been Air Industrial Developments. My father was the A.I.D. man at nearby Castle Bromwich Aerodrome from 1940 until the end of the war.

I'm pretty sure it was Air Inspection Department.

Maurice

A.I.D was the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate, an organisation set up by the Ministry of Aviation to carry out specific inspection in factories making anything for that Ministry.
Boomy

Many thanks to those who have given me an insight into the meaning of the term A.I.D. Not to sure how my wife's late Aunt would have viewed Bobs description but at least it made me smile.

Thanks Boomy,

I wasn't far out but it was a long time ago as their regulations also applied to those of use working on Maintenance Units in the RAF. :)

Maurice

Hello everyone,

My name is Mogan Selvakannu. I am a final year Documentary Photography student at University of South Wales in Cardiff. I am currently working on my final year project which is about the legacy of Dunlop in Birmingham and the effects of deindustrialisation on Dunlop's former workers. I am looking to meet, have a chat and possibly make portraits of former workers, families or friends who used to work for the Dunlop Rubber. Unfortunately I have no contacts, leads or know of anyone in Birmingham. Would be very grateful if I can get tips or guidance as to where I should go to, who I should meet or if there is an association or a club I can get in touch with or anyone who's willing to participate in my project and tell their stories. This particular thread has definitely helped a lot in my research and I am hoping that I could get some help with getting in touch with Dunlop's former workers so I could tell their stories through photography. If you need to contact me, my details are as below. Thank you.

Email: [email protected]
Mobile: 07460686473

The Fire Brigade at Fort Dunlop
i wonder what happen'd to the engine. it sure was a bad starter. i used to push it with fork truck,to get it going. the
Great photos Aggie. At first I thought the bike was attached to the cart but surely the cart was pulled by a horse ? Viv
it was a hand cart. the bike was a 5/6 seater push bike. the fire engine was unreliable it would not start half the time.i push started it with a fork truck.work i worked for internal transport there. 7 nights. a week.

Last edited:
I was walking down Ashold road reminiscing about working at Dunlop last week, when I spotted this cast iron sign. Obviously must mean "Dunlop Rubber Co Ltd". I was wondering what it was for? It is now in front of the new Jaguar K Block.

Attachments

• DR.jpg
    DR.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 44
  • dunlop rubber.JPG
    dunlop rubber.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 45
I was walking down Ashold road reminiscing about working at Dunlop last week, when I spotted this cast iron sign. Obviously must mean "Dunlop Rubber Co Ltd". I was wondering what it was for? It is now in front of the new Jaguar K Block.

Land marker, 'this belongs too' or entrance sign. Is it by the West/East drive entrance?

I'm amazed it's still there when the rest has gone. That concrete and tarmac are newer, so workers have worked around it at some point.

Does anyone know if there are old canal maps.

There must have been a winding hole in the canal near the Fort Dunlop allowing the barges to turn and change direction. This has now gone and was just curious where it actually was.

Not sure that there would have been. Fort dunlop was built around 1916 and canals were not si important by then

The canal was used to ferry workers, the only current winding hole is a 4 mile round trip past the Fort Dunlop allowing the boats to make the return trip. While this could have been used, there might have been another.

Tried the search engine without luck, was hoping someone more savvy might know more.

For interest there are lots of aerial photos of Dunlop Works on 'britainfromabove' if you have not already seen them. Unfortunately the canal was at the other side of the sports fields so only glimpses of it show.
Two images with links below.
Dunlop 1 dated 1929 and the canal is bottom right.
DunlopEPW026934.jpg

Dunlop 2 and the canal is bottom
DunlopEPW053751.jpg

Well that foot bridge is no longer there. The Holly Lane road bridge 'Brace Factory Bridge' was also rebuilt some time after the workers was ferried by boat. Page 4 of this thread shows a brick bridge, its now concrete.

I have searched why that bridge was named Brace Factory Bridge without luck. Someone else was trying to find out why also as I came across their questions if there used to be a Brace factory in Erdington. There used to be a nickel works next to the bridge.

Back