• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dartmouth Street 1881

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Trying to find out where Dartmouth Street was. Was it anything to do with Lower Dartmouth Street? 1880 1890 period.

Terry

heneage st no 24 and dartmouth st house 2 court 17.jpghi terry yes i believe lower dartmouth was part of dartmouth st...if it is of any help here is a map showing court 17 dartmouth st in pink and to the right in blue is no 24 is heneage st...i had rellies at these addresses in 1841 and 51

lyn

Terry

In fact Lower Dartmouth St was quite a little way from Dartmouth St. on the map on the left hand side you will see Dartmouth St running from Aston Rd to Ashted Row. Then comes Lawley Street that runs to the junction of Garrison Lane then we have Lower Dartmouth St that runs up the side of the recreation ground (Ichycoo Park). I suppose it is entirely possible that at one time that Lawley St was at one time part of Dartmouth St, as it is strange that Lower Darmouth St is some half a mile or so from Dartmouth St.

Attachments

• Nechells Area .jpg
    Nechells Area .jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 93
Hi

I wonder if Lawley Street was H Lawley Street?...I have a document for my ancestors marriage stating one lived at 41 Dartmouth Street and the other at 47 (?) H Lawley Street?

Hi Kain

Welcome to you, I certainly can't ever remember Lawley Street being called H Lawley Street and I have never seen it listed as such. Number 47 would have been somewhat opposite Foster Street and I think was fronting a back court. Are you sure it wasn't 47A Lawley Street. I lived five minutes walk from this location at one time and the street number of our house was 190A. I'm sure that census records would be easily enough checked to see if there was in fact a number 47A on Lawley Street and indeed if that was where your ancestor lived.

Kain

You didn't give a date for the document you have, as I've checked the trade directories as far back as 1900 and numbers 45 , 47, & 49 Lawley Street keep coming up as commercial addresses.

hi jessica it would have been demolished to make way for new roads...its a very small world...my 4xgt grandfather was also living in dartmouth st in 1841 as a glassblower so chances are he knew your george owen..here is a photo of dartmouth st dated 1895 with the union glass works on the left..i would think it had changed very little from 1841dartmouth st union glass on right 1895.jpg

lyn

Last edited:
Jessica

George Owen was a Farrier and he had premises on the corner of Mill Street and Dartmouth Street in the 1840's.

Jessica

George Owen was a Farrier and he had premises on the corner of Mill Street and Dartmouth Street in the 1840's.
What is a Farrier? In all census and marriage records he is listed as being a frying pan maker or a blacksmith (in later histories). Are you related?

Lady P,

Cornforth is a name I haven't heard for almost 60 years. I used to work with a Jack Cornforth in the 1950s in the Cashier's Office at Birmingham City Transport. I guess he would have been in his mid-50s around 1955.

Maurice

What is a Farrier? In all census and marriage records he is listed as being a frying pan maker or a blacksmith (in later histories). Are you related?
A farrier is the man who shoes horses.
Dartmouth Street was demolished in the 1960s - my husband was born there and they were moved out about 1957 or 1958.

Last edited:
Jessica,

Just because George Owen was listed as a farrier in the 1840's it doesn't follow that he continued in that trade.He might have later diversified into pan making after all he was used to working metal.

I was born at No 49 Dartmouth Street in 1949. No memories as we moved out in the 50s. Love to see some pics of the era if anyone has any .

My husband would also love to see some pics. His Aunt and Uncle lived at number 50. He was born in 1953.

Back