• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Masshouse Circus

colin tomlinson

knowlegable brummie
Where is this please.(Resubmitted) I have been pondering for a week now and have been on Google maps but I still do not know.

Edit. See post #4 for photo.
photo.php
https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=338461eba716a27e59b10d4275c5c9a1&oe=57D4C3E9

Last edited by a moderator:
And for me colin. It says :
Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Isn't it Masshouse circus on the Ringway, with St Martins spire in the distance partially obscured

it looks like priory queensway / jameswatt queensway now all gone the building an the right is aston uni more st station straight ahead

Last edited:
The blue sign, bottom left reads University of Aston. The road bottom centre towards the left leads to what we called "the Italian quarter" Bastianelli, daLuigi etc

Last edited:
I'd say it was taken from where the red arrow is on the c 1979 map below

Attachments

• map c 1979 showing masshouse circus.jpg
    map c 1979 showing masshouse circus.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 31
Thank you everyone for being so helpful and I want to especially thank Staff members Astoness and Mikejee for the presence, knowledge and devotion to the B,ham History Forum. Regards. Colin.

Last edited:
It is Masshouse Circus looking south. Just the tip of St.Martin's spire but with St. Martins House in the way. Looks like there's a protest march in progress-on the expressway itself. The police van behind making sure if they stop they'll all get done for parking on double yellows..

thanks for your kind words colin...we are all only too happy to be part of this wonderful forum and help in any way we can..:)

lyn

That car park was the one I always used when I came into town, it was the easiest one to park on for me. The buses are coming down from the Old Square.

Thanks. I now seem to recollect that it could have been Morturn in connection with a sand pit as opposed to the Lake itself. Also that lady P may have made a comment.

Something to do with a path that led down to the lake through an hedge?

There was a sandpit adjacent to the second lake. I recall there was a boy who was buried alive and died while digging a tunnel.

There have also been a couple of drownings in the lakes. One was the younger brother of a lad I was an apprentice with.

Anyone know when Brookvale became a reservoir? I think it was around the turn of the 20th C. The houses look as if they were build around that time too. Perhaps this had something to do with it.

Back