• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

this is great having someone with a birds eye view brian...the job is yours:D

lyn

just emailed the planning dept got the usual automated reply confirming my email and saying they will reply to me asap..will let you know if i get any response

lyn

Last edited:
just received this reply folks...i think this will make things a bit clearer as to what is happening right now and why and also the plans for the future..

lyn

Dear Linda

I have discussed this matter with the City Design Manager and can confirm that the site in question has recently changed hands and discussions have taken place with both Planning and Building Control over the future redevelopment of the site. In the first instance, the Council were very concerned that the grade II listed building needed to be secured and its structural integrity investigated. In response, the owner has erected scaffolding in order to secure the site and commence surveying. There are dangerous buildings to the rear and some of these are being removed. It is anticipated that an application with be forthcoming and at that point it will be made publicly available for comments. It is unlikely (due to the scale and complexity of this site) to be for a number of months yet.

Last edited:
just received this reply folks...i think this will make things a bit clearer as to what is happening right now and why and also the plans for the future..

lyn

Dear Linda

I have discussed this matter with the City Design Manager and can confirm that the site in question has recently changed hands and discussions have taken place with both Planning and Building Control over the future redevelopment of the site. In the first instance, the Council were very concerned that the grade II listed building needed to be secured and its structural integrity investigated. In response, the owner has erected scaffolding in order to secure the site and commence surveying. There are dangerous buildings to the rear and some of these are being removed. It is anticipated that an application with be forthcoming and at that point it will be made publicly available for comments. It is unli
I GOT THIS TODAY AS WELL.

Attachments

• 1.Reply..jpg
    1.Reply..jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 20
yes jan will follow this with interest now especially as it concerns my neck o the woods...i know what they mean though about there being dangerous buildings at the back of the gothic..to be honest on the gothic side there are a few along gt hampton st and constitution hill that are now looking dodgy...it would be wonderful if they all could be refurbished before its to late..

lyn

yes jan will follow this with interest now especially as it concerns my neck o the woods...i know what they mean though about there being dangerous buildings at the back of the gothic..to be honest on the gothic side there are a few along gt hampton st and constitution hill that are now looking dodgy...it would be wonderful if they all could be refurbished before its to late..

lyn
A lot happier now we have that update!

same here brian...at least we know that everything is above board...be interesting to follow developments now

lyn

Well done BHF members, and glad you're keeping your beady (no disrespect intended) eyes on them! :)

Maurice.

Just one thing. I would hope that the council did check beforehand to ensure that there were no significant original features there that could be destroyed in the clearout. Probably no features, but do think this should always be checked, and if it wasn't this time then presumably wouldn't be on another occasion, when something might be lost

Nothing much left inside when I managed a sneaky look. Everything was either removed or stolen many years ago I think.

lyn
Buildings around here certainly dangerous as one of the old factories on Hockley Street suffered a minor collapse earlier today. See evening mail for details.

all quiet on the western front today...one taken from the gt hampton st side the other from gt hampton row side

lyn

Attachments

• JQ AND HOCKLEY 009.JPG
    JQ AND HOCKLEY 009.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 19
  • JQ AND HOCKLEY 015.JPG
    JQ AND HOCKLEY 015.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 19
all quiet on the western front today...one taken from the gt hampton st side the other from gt hampton row side

lyn
Was talking to the site manager yesterday and hopefully I will get a good look round inside soon. He was saying the roof is very close to collapse so they concentrating on doing what they can quickly in that area first.

Despite having lived here for 12 years and with all the recent visits to the Gothic I noticed something new! Above the building next to the Gothic which was latterly Carols Cafe is some old “ghost sign” lettering. Really badly faded now but when I walked past yesterday evening I think I made out the word Gilders which is really ironic as the new development opposite me a little further up the Street is to be called Gilders Yard!
Gilders Yard development is another Blackswan Properties project.

Gilders Yard development is another Blackswan Properties project.
It is indeed and as opposite me I had a fair bit of input into the planning stage and as far as it goes the end result should be ok. They are saving the bit worth saving and much better to have a development than a derelict factory which could have stayed that way for years. Still wondering when something will kick off on the empty plot next to St Paul's Metro stop.

totally agree with you brian..dont think i know of the plot at st pauls metro stop will try and find it on street view

lyn

totally agree with you brian..dont think i know of the plot at st pauls metro stop will try and find it on street view

lyn
Big empty plot to left of entrance from constitution hill. Was originally going to follow on from my block when this was finished but that was the time of the last economic crash. Always said when that one starts again there must be some confidence around although I do worry there may be too many apartments soon. However all 3000 of those being built on the other side of the quarter are all presold but sadly it's all Chinese and Russian money. Suspect it's being laundered or squirrelled away by dubious characters from either country.

Brian,

We've had experience of both Chinese & Russian money here in Crete, and investors from both countries have had cashflow problems leaving the actual local constructors bereft of funds and unable to continue the development for several years until someone else steps in with cash. The Russian model is to sell off plan and to develop in several different countries simultaneously. Thus the money raised from pre-sales in one country was funding the development in another country. This is fine except that all the countries' developments are dependent upon financial stability in the other countries. If one has problems, it results in massive cashflow problems in the others too, the Russian investor's bankers pull their horns in, and all of a sudden everyone is left high and dry! Some one else will eventually take over the investment, in one case that took three years.

One massive Chinese development never got built. When the problems arose they merely said that if Greece built it, they would happily still manage it. If Greece had been able to build it, would they have involved China in the first place? Hopefully the developments near you will have no such problems.

Maurice

Brian,

We've had experience of both Chinese & Russian money here in Crete, and investors from both countries have had cashflow problems leaving the actual local constructors bereft of funds and unable to continue the development for several years until someone else steps in with cash. The Russian model is to sell off plan and to develop in several different countries simultaneously. Thus the money raised from pre-sales in one country was funding the development in another country. This is fine except that all the countries' developments are dependent upon financial stability in the other countries. If one has problems, it results in massive cashflow problems in the others too, the Russian investor's bankers pull their horns in, and all of a sudden everyone is left high and dry! Some one else will eventually take over the investment, in one case that took three years.

One massive Chinese development never got built. When the problems arose they merely said that if Greece built it, they would happily still manage it. If Greece had been able to build it, would they have involved China in the first place? Hopefully the developments near you will have no such problems.

Maurice
Just a big pyramid scheme really!

Quite - no one has the money to fund all the developments at once, and I'm not particularly criticising these countries as I'm sure it happens everywhere. Just a shock for those doing the real work. Just glad that I'm retired! :)

Maurice

Quite - no one has the money to fund all the developments at once, and I'm not particularly criticising these countries as I'm sure it happens everywhere. Just a shock for those doing the real work. Just glad that I'm retired! :)

Maurice
Ditto!

83CF0CF2-7297-4E46-96CD-21B07FC57E1D.jpeg 1732529E-3403-4966-8704-D5F725DD6494.jpeg And finally as I wandered around I went by a City Council regeneration project and took the chance of an open door to pinch a pic of the staircase tiling!

You can't win - create a rumpus and it will mysteriously go up in flames one night. Just a reflection on what a state most cities have got into nowadays.

Maurice

Hi Guys
Dont forget if anybody remembers that many years ago there was a YMCA for single men more or less across the road from the Gothic and it covered the corner and aboth claytons music shop , thats why i think they moved out because of the down and out of druggs and trouble within them above the police was regular visiteors there and it wasb taken over by a one time organised housing associationby the name of shape whom own houses all over birmingham they was at the bottom of bradford street plus i do not know whether or not as i left brum years ago across from there as well was the sally army hostil had new build for the accomodation whether its still there i do not know and giving the vast number of homeless familys and homeless people it could be an accomdation building regarding if its a listed building after all it does not mean they will demolish it does it really i cannot see it being turned into a hotel and may i had guys just look at the kingedward pub lichfield road we was toldits a listed building but they demoed that plus the fact other listed building have been bulldozed down before now and on the subject i can recall that pub from the fifties and i remember it closed down for a while and then there was an asian family took it over and painted it a deeper pink it was horrible and the regulars stopped using it and closed down for years and it was painted from the top of the building down to the low ground obvisiouly some was painted in white three parts down to make it pleasant enough

Back