• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

thanks ell i was there the other day taking pics...sad to see it like that..spent many a happy hour in that pub...i used to work just round the corner from the pub in gt hampton st..place called ash rubber stamp

lyn

No problem Lyn.

I was looking at Livery Street (in the rain) after the film makers (of Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One) had cleaned the street up. Looks back to normal.

thats interesting ell...did not know that livery st had been used for filming...glad they left our old street nice and tiday:)

They also used Lionel Street. Redressed some buildings as American buildings for the week. Fake graffiti was only stuck on, so they could easily remove it.

hi folks...i was delighted to have been given this pub token as a christmas present:)

lyn

Gothic Front.jpg Gothic Obverse.jpg

Hi Lyn,

if you worked for Ash Rubber Stamp in the 1970's then we may well have encountered one another, as I bought several stamps from them for various 'projects' I was involved in at the time. I also used The Gothic - it was on our 'Friday Night Crawl' which started off at The General Wolfe, went via The Brown Lion (Hall St) and The White Horse (Constitution Hill) and ended up at The Salutation on Snow Hill for the jazz. Hate to say it, but I thought The Gothic was a bit rough....

G

hi G yes it would have been about 71/72 when i was at ash rubber stamp...as for the gothic...it must have been rough if i used it lol...none the less a shame i think to see yet another pub gone along with its characters...:(

lyn

hi brian i would imagine that what is going on is what usually goes on and not an eye is batted...planning applications are not always asked for and if this is the case with the old gothic i sincerely hope the council have been informed and are looking into it...

lyn

hi brian i would imagine that what is going on is what usually goes on and not an eye is batted...planning applications are not always asked for and if this is the case with the old gothic i sincerely hope the council have been informed and are looking into it...

lyn
I’ve told the planners for what good that will do!

Hi there I live just up the road from the above building and understand it is grade ll listed. Scaffolding has recently appeared around the entire building and doors marked up in painted letters suggesting something is about to happen. I can find no information on what may or may not be happening but as this work appears to have been undertaken by the demolition contractors working on a new apartment block opposite me further up Great Hampton St. I was wondering what is going off?
Can you shed any light as I have searched all planning online and can find nothing. Is this tied up with a S106 arrangement or the like.
Any info gratefully received, it's a lovely building but in need of tlc.

This was sent early June.. reply fron planners was that no application had been submitted.

re original email. I still have not seen any planning application however this morning contractors are stripping out the building and I've been told apartments are to be built inside. it is grade 2 listed which would include interior. any idea what's going on?

Sent this today...watch this space but don’t hold your breath!

thanks ell i was there the other day taking pics...sad to see it like that..spent many a happy hour in that pub...i used to work just round the corner from the pub in gt hampton st..place called ash rubber stamp

lyn

Lyn it's a travesty this with The Gothic , pity they can't get it back up and running as a pub . Mind you I don't like the garish colours outside . Knowing that this pub could change makes me wonder how safe would the Barton Arms be if it was ever to close again

Lyn it's a travesty this with The Gothic , pity they can't get it back up and running as a pub . Mind you I don't like the garish colours outside . Knowing that this pub could change makes me wonder how safe would the Barton Arms be if it was ever to close again

john i dont even want to think about that..we nearly lost it in the 80s

lyn

Back