• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rubery Hill Asylum Hospital

Barry, it takes ages to get any info, both my nan and my aunt were in-patients at Hollymoor and I had great problems getting info even though I had birth and death certs for them both and my dad is their only remaining next of kin that we know of, buthave eventually been told that the info will be transcripted soon and passed on to us.
Also,in the latter years, All Saints was a centre for drug rehabilitation, very sad place to work at times, but on the whole clients were good, just a few violent episodes.
Sue

Hi all,
Am new to this site so not sure if this has been asked before. I have a relative who died in the above asylum in 1926 aged 23 and was wondering if any records where available to check. I live about 150 miles away from there so no chance of visiting unfortunately.
Thanks in advance
Dawn

Hello all - I hope at least some of you are still active on this thread even though I am evidently years late in my response. I have recently posted about Rubery Hill Asylum as I am doing my MA dissertation on it - please see my recent post.
I am actually active in the archives currently and am spending a lot of time looking through medical casebooks, admission records, discharge notes etc. etc. What I hope to do is construct patient narratives from these records. If there is anyone who you would like information on I am sure I can help you and do some research for you. I am looking at Rubery Hill from when it opened 1882 until 1914 due to the 100 year closure of information act so anything you want about a friend or relative in that time period i would certainly be happy to help you - perhaps you have some old letters or family photos of that particular relative which you wouldn't mind giving me copies of - I can then include them in the narrative I construct.
Hope this helps and someone sees it - sorry it is so late.
Jess

Hello all! Apologies for cross posting here - but I am a new user and have a query which relates to this Victorian Asylum which also falls under research. I have therefore copied and pasted my post, as follows:

Hello everyone, I am a new member and would massively appreciate your help and guidance. I am a ‘mature’ student and am currently doing a MA degree on the Victorian period. My dissertation is going to focus on Rubery Hill Hospital; a Victorian Lunatic Asylum which was based just outside central Birmingham and opened on the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1882. It opened because the Birmingham Asylum was suffering from overcrowding and required another site. By the time this asylum was opened, asylums were more regulated and a certain level of care was expected. The asylum could accommodate 600 plus patients and its facilities included outdoor facilities so that patients could take exercise, farm, and garden. In addition, patients were able to go to Church and to the theatre.

Having not researched archives before I am finding things a tad tricky. I aim to create a number of ‘patient narratives’ which present medical history from ‘below’ and give the patient’s side of the story. Also interested in looking at medical history from ‘above’ so staff accounts etc. The archives are certainly plentiful for this asylum, but lacking in things like photographs etc. which I feel bring this sort of work to life!

I would be interested in any advice and guidance from you. I would certainly be interested in hearing from you if you have
- Done any asylum based archival research before and can offer guidance
- Have any information or can sign-post for the Rubery hospital
- Have any relatives (or rather, had) who were either confined in this asylum or worked for this asylum. It would be awesome if anyone had photos or letters of a relative who used to be a patient and would be prepared to let me use the information they have. I would include relevant documents in my dissertation (which I would love to turn into a chapter in a book at some stage). I would track your friend/relative in the archives and create a narrative for them, which I would of course provide you with afterwards.

My dissertation will be available publically on the universities website, so please bear this in mind if you do have anything you would consider passing to me. I will take copies and send you originals back, or you could email me copies? I am a student so cannot offer you a financial incentive for your help, but I will be eternally grateful and would give you a copy of my dissertation afterwards (or at least the relevant part) so that you had a piece of your family history to keep.

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you all

Jess

Hello all - I hope at least some of you are still active on this thread even though I am evidently years late in my response. I have recently posted about Rubery Hill Asylum as I am doing my MA dissertation on it - please see my recent post.
I am actually active in the archives currently and am spending a lot of time looking through medical casebooks, admission records, discharge notes etc. etc. What I hope to do is construct patient narratives from these records. If there is anyone who you would like information on I am sure I can help you and do some research for you. I am looking at Rubery Hill from when it opened 1882 until 1914 due to the 100 year closure of information act so anything you want about a friend or relative in that time period i would certainly be happy to help you - perhaps you have some old letters or family photos of that particular relative which you wouldn't mind giving me copies of - I can then include them in the narrative I construct.
Jess

Hi Jess.......this is a surprise ...id love to know more..........this is what I originally posted ....... below
My gt gt grandad Joseph Field I have just found out this week on getting his cert of death back from the records office in brum died young ......he was 48 when he died in 1890 leaving a young family behind . But the question to anyone that might know this is .

He was a skilled man , a Gun Finisher , and he died in the registration district of Kings Norton in 1890 even though according to the census of 1880 and ones prior to that that he lived and worked in the gun quarter of the city , but he died according to the death cert in Rubery hill asylum. The first thing that sprung to mind for me was asylum.....is that not for people that were mentally ill ? . None of my family have any info on him at all . So considering that his death cert states cause of death as ACUTE BRONCHITIS .....why was he in that asylum ?????.

I have actually found the admissions book a few years ago in bham library but cant remember what it said but the book was the original from 1890 which was pretty amazing as I saw his signature.....I would love to know more about him........I have spoken to a historian thereafter and tehy told me that a lot of people that worked in the gun quarter in Birmingham in these little back street gun workshops were so unregulated and this meant that they were extremely noisy and apparently the constant noise of the manufacturing and quite often the guns actually deploying meant that this sent guys mental and kind of shell shocked and were therefore sent to Rubery hill mental asylum. I would love to get to the bottom of this one. Thanks Karl, please feel free to contact me

Last edited:
hi changinman...it is not a good idea to post either your email address or private telephone number on open forum..leaves you open to emails being hacked or crank callers...you can of course do this but its a risk...you can always edit out your tel number and send it to jess via our private message system which is just that...private between the sender and the recipient...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
According to the Lunacy Patients Admission Register on Ancestry as Joseph Field was admitted (to Birmingham asylum) on 2nd July 1883 and discharged 7 April 1887 but there had been no improvement. The cause of death may not be related to why he was in the asylum. I understand that some chemicals involved in many trades (before Health and safety) ould cause forms of insanity. There is also a Joseph Field admitted on 14 March 1889 and died 5 April 1890 (this says Worcester asylum - I assume Rubery). No other details are given on the record.

Janice

Hi Jess.......this is a surprise ...id love to know more..........this is what I originally posted ....... below
My gt gt grandad Joseph Field I have just found out this week on getting his cert of death back from the records office in brum died young ......he was 48 when he died in 1890 leaving a young family behind . But the question to anyone that might know this is .

He was a skilled man , a Gun Finisher , and he died in the registration district of Kings Norton in 1890 even though according to the census of 1880 and ones prior to that that he lived and worked in the gun quarter of the city , but he died according to the death cert in Rubery hill asylum. The first thing that sprung to mind for me was asylum.....is that not for people that were mentally ill ? . None of my family have any info on him at all . So considering that his death cert states cause of death as ACUTE BRONCHITIS .....why was he in that asylum ?????.

I have actually found the admissions book a few years ago in bham library but cant remember what it said but the book was the original from 1890 which was pretty amazing as I saw his signature.....I would love to know more about him........I have spoken to a historian thereafter and tehy told me that a lot of people that worked in the gun quarter in Birmingham in these little back street gun workshops were so unregulated and this meant that they were extremely noisy and apparently the constant noise of the manufacturing and quite often the guns actually deploying meant that this sent guys mental and kind of shell shocked and were therefore sent to Rubery hill mental asylum. I would love to get to the bottom of this one. Thanks Karl, please feel free to call me ...07881260240

Greetings Karl and many thanks for your response. I will certainly look into this for you and give you a call/drop you an email with the findings. I note from other posts he was in the admissions book which is great, what I will try and do is track him in the medical case books as they contain much more detail, although the Birmingham library do not have the full set but fingers crossed they have your relative. They are often very hard to understand due to the hand writing - I have been using two magnifine glasses and exercising every ounce of patience I have with them.

Just for clarity can you confirm for me his full name and dob, date of admission and death (aware below but in case the other poster has got mixed up - as they state he was discharged but you stated he died there...wanted you to confirm that). Do you have any photographs of him or old family letters from or about him?

Many thanks

If you read my post carefully - he was released from Birmingham (in 1887) then admitted in Worcestershire (in 1889) where he died.

Janice

I have also found a possible entry in 1850. The images give the admission numbers.
Joseph Field 1850.jpgJoseph Field 1883.jpgJoseph Field 1889.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jess

My Gt Grandmother was in Rubery Hill Asylum she died there in 1893 & was buried in the grounds, I found a lot of information at the old library they have an old plan of the burial ground but it i couldn't pin point where she was buried ,most of the grounds have new houses built on now but there is one part grassed over with a memorial plaque on the gate, i have live close by for 40 yrs and it was only when i researched my family tree i found this out i had been passing the ground twice a week without realising. Before that she was in Powick asylum in Worcester, she was living in Balsall Heath at the time

Regards Pat

Hello Jess I worked at Ruberyhill for many years and administor a facebook page for that hospital, prior to its closure I presented an visual history of RHH and took and archived many photos prior to that closure .Due to confidentiality I cannot supply photos of Patients but can help with photos /videos of what it was like.

Hello Lily,

My Gt Grandmother died in RHH & is buried in the grounds in 1893, she was only 39 yrs old, I know you cannot pass on photo's but is there anywhere I could view them ? her name was Elizabeth Roberts, I have seen some of her records she was in Powick in Worcester before RHH opened. Pat

Hello Pat if you are on facebook look for the Rubery hill hospital site it is a closed site so send in a request for membership. the site is intended for ex staff and patients or people who have a geniune interest in Rubery Hills history. there are some interesting photos going back to its building in the 1880s if you look down the threads as stated it does not have pictures of patients and is not intended for people with a morbid interest

Hi Jess

If you are still researching by any chance, my ancestor, Clara Smith, was admitted to Rubery Hill on 20th July 1904 and died there on 23rd April 1906. She had a weak and feeble heart.

If you find anything I'd be very interested to hear from you. I don't have photos of her, but have a few facts and I've recently found a relative so we are in the process of swapping information about the family.

Hi Jess

As its over a year I'm just checking you are still a member of this forum?

I've just located a great uncle that was a patient at Rubery Hill on the 1939 Register. I've been trying to piece together his life for my aunt, his niece.

I'm aware he's deceased (he was born in 1906) but also conscious of the 100 year rule and I'm guessing I need to contact the archives in Birmingham to gain any sort of access. Just wondered what your thoughts were and if you had any pointers/advice/contact names emails etc.

I've been in touch with 'Sez' on this forum about a different institution so I'm very aware of the restrictions.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi I have been trying to locate admission details/info for a relative , Charles Clarence Paddock , who spent 50 years (1924 -1974) as a patient in Rubery Hill Hospital - last few years as a transfer patient to Hollymoor Hospital . Armed with Charles death certificate I contacted Birmingham Archives and for the princely sum of £32 ( £16 per half hour search ) I was sent a sparse and extremely disappointing one line image with 'C Paddock June 1924' and mention from the 'Archivist' that he was a Roman Catholic ('RC') and ane added comment by the Archivist that Charles was admitted from home. I was not permitted to visit and view ... hardly value for money . I realise the need for the 100 year rule - but surely family has a right to know about these 'secrets swept under the carpet' from days gone by. Surely some institution must have the Admissions Books ? Any ideas??

Last edited:
According to the Lunacy Patients Admission Register on Ancestry as Joseph Field was admitted (to Birmingham asylum) on 2nd July 1883 and discharged 7 April 1887 but there had been no improvement. The cause of death may not be related to why he was in the asylum. I understand that some chemicals involved in many trades (before Health and safety) ould cause forms of insanity. There is also a Joseph Field admitted on 14 March 1889 and died 5 April 1890 (this says Worcester asylum - I assume Rubery). No other details are given on the record.

Janice
Janice , i dont know whether he was admitted twice , all i know is that he died in there , are the dates of birth the same on the two admissions

I am trying to chase records of my Great Uncle Joseph Ellison who was taken into Rubery Hill during WW1. He had shell shock and died there in early 1980s I believe.

Im not sure where to go from here. Can anyone kindly help please.

Thanks you
Jean B

Greetings,
Back around 1940 to 1960 or later there was a Doctor or Consultant whose surname sounded similar to 'FANUARY' who served at either of the aforementioned institutions. It is rumored that he is my Grandfather.
My Grandmother, Nellie/Ellen Thompson also served as a Nursing Sister.
If anyone can shed light on this gentleman it would be greatly appreciated. He was thought to be of foreign descent, maybe North Africa or Mediterranean descent.
Looking forward to responses.

As this could be a sensitive issue I have sent you a PM - to read it click on the envelope in the top right of the page by your name.
It is just a name which might be a possibility. However, I have no way of knowing where he worked or his circumstances at the time.

Last edited:
You will need to apply for them - if you contact Birmingham Archives they should be direct you to the NHS organisation that should be able to help you (they helped me but it was so long ago I applied I am afraid I cant rmemebr what it was called). Best wishes J

Does anyone know how I might source a copy of the book ' Rubery Hill Hospital - as hort history'. I have tried various book sellers with no avail?

Thank you

Best wishes
J

Jess
Ohhhhh hi jess coiuld you poss get some background for me please on one of my rels that died in there ?

Back