• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

researching children's homes

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
This is complicated but stick with it......

My sister-in-law's friend is trying to find out more about her Mother and her Mother's family. However, her Mum grew up in a children's home and apart from her father's name and date of birth, Mum can provide no other information.

I have managed to find the father's birth and 1911 census records and death on Ancestry, that was the easy bit.

But, I have no experience of researching Children's Home records. The Children's home she was in is probably long gone, has anyone any idea if and where I might be able to locate any records. Would, for example, they would be held by the local record office or if the Children's Home was part of a charity would the charity still hold them?

Given that her Mum is still alive, should she contact her local Social Services? Would they be able to help?

Any advice fom someone who's done similar research would be very welcome

Thanks
Helen

Hi Helen,

Best to post Fathers name & dob & 1911 reference, Folks can then assist your quest (on behalf of Sis-in-law's friend)
Could you also put in her Moms details dob/marriage etc for Her Mother,,the more info you can share the better your responses will be.

Childrens Homes/Charitable Houses/Barnados/Father Hudsons,,,absolute multitude of "options" for searching so Area's/Years are helpful too.
Good luck John

Dr Barnado's Homes "Ever Open Door" premises at 23-24 Digbeth, pictured in 1900. ("An Ever Open Door For Orphan & Waif Children").
31563875_2027054693974619_3490407582294605824_n.jpg

As the person who was in the childrens home is still living starting with her local social services is probably the best way forward.
They are loathe to give any information to anyone other than the person concerned.
If the lady can remember the name of the home or even where it was it would help our members to give you more information about it and hopefully where to find the records without you having to give us the names of your friends family.
Alberta.

As the person who was in the childrens home is still living starting with her local social services is probably the best way forward.
They are loathe to give any information to anyone other than the person concerned.
If the lady can remember the name of the home or even where it was it would help our members to give you more information about it and hopefully where to find the records without you having to give us the names of your friends family.
Alberta.
My friend was taken into 'voluntary care' in the late 50s/early 60s. She was very little so can't remember where she was (the family lived in Oldbury) and requests Staffs and Birmingham social services have drawn a blank. Has anyone any ideas about how she can find out who dealt with her so that she can get access to her file. The only clear memory of the home is a Dalmation dog! Does that ring a bell with anyone?

This from a quick google search.
The obvious place to start would be national records. There's detail with links to relevant forms at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/children-care/

Some organisations that ran care homes may have separate records and, if you know who ran the one in question you might be able to find them online too. For example
https://www.barnardos.org.uk/former-barnardos-children

Hope that helps. Some government records will be sealed from the general public depending on the age of the record but, for descendants of the person involved, there should be ways around that and, hopefully, the National Archives should tell you who you have to apply through.

I'm looking for information on Matilda Mayes who was the mother of May elizabeth Johns born either 1896 or 1898 as the census and birth record don't quite tally. Matilda mayes was born 1868 we think. Matilda would be my great, great grandmother but when she was just 3yrs old, she ended up in gem Street industrial school for unruly children in birmingham. She is on the 1871 census at gem Street age 3 but at Walton Rd Major Lesters Girls Home in Lancashire 1881.

Records for matilda do exist with the national/birmingham archives which may include parent details, length of detention, age etc and discharge book. But not digitised. Ms994/14 and ms994/23.

Is there anyone on here near the archives who would be willing if they are going there to access the records for me as I live several hundred miles away. I did ring the archives but can't seem to access records other than in person.

Thanks

vixen apologies i remember now that some time ago i said i would try to get to the library to view the records for you...something at home came up and i completely forgot about it:rolleyes: then we had lockdown...i do want to get to the library when i can for myself but i think they have only just reopened so i need to find out how and when we can visit the archives...unless someone else can get there before i can i will certainly ask to see the records you want...i have taken a note of the reference numbers

lyn

vixen apologies i remember now that some time ago i said i would try to get to the library to view the records for you...something at home came up and i completely forgot about it:rolleyes: then we had lockdown...i do want to get to the library when i can for myself but i think they have only just reopened so i need to find out how and when we can visit the archives...unless someone else can get there before i can i will certainly ask to see the records you want...i have taken a note of the reference numbers

lyn
Thanks lyn. I did think something must have come up and of course we've had lockdown. If and when you do go I'd be so grateful if you could get the files. Also my grandparents lived in Aston birmingham. Would archives have anything on thrm eg grandad was in the RAF? If there were any records on him that would be a huge bonus.

lyn
Hi lyn sorry one more question do the Birmingham archives keep military records? I don't have fold military subscription as can't really afford it but I wandered if the archives had records for Charles F Hadley. Charles Frederick Hadley was born in October 1887 in Aston, Warwickshire
HADLEY Charles
Regiment : C Company 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment
Service number : 8675
Conflict : WW1
Date of death : Killed in action aged 27 on 31st October 1914
Buried : Commemorated on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium, Panel 34.
Birthplace : Born and enlisted Birmingham
Relatives : Son of the late John William Hadley; husband of Emily Hadley, 7 Temperance Square, Wilton St., Lozells, Birmingham

vixen WW1 service records are on ancestry pretty sure they are held by the ministry of defence not libraries but only if they survived the bombings of ww2...i was very lucky that my grandads records have survived so i was able to download them from ancestry to my pc and print them off....you do not have to subscribe to ancestry for a whole year as it can be expensive so what i do is subscribe for a month at a time when i feel like it...its only £13.99 a month to view the most popular records which does include service records...

you will however have to apply to the ministry of defence for ww2 RAF records...that is not cheap and i believe can take as long as year for you to receive them..if i have got any of this wrong i am sure someone will correct me

lyn

vixen WW1 service records are on ancestry pretty sure they are held by the ministry of defence not libraries but only if they survived the bombings of ww2...i was very lucky that my grandads records have survived so i was able to download them from ancestry to my pc and print them off....you do not have to subscribe to ancestry for a whole year as it can be expensive so what i do is subscribe for a month at a time when i feel like it...its only £13.99 a month to view the most popular records which does include service records...

you will however have to apply to the ministry of defence for ww2 RAF records...that is not cheap and i believe can take as long as year for you to receive them..if i have got any of this wrong i am sure someone will correct me

lyn
George would have been ww2 and pretty sure raf. I don't know if the fold record site has raf. I have accessed ww1 on ancestry eg my ggf records I accessed which listed ships etc he'd been on.

bit confused now...are you saying that charles frederick hadley who was KIA 1914 was on ships ? just had a quick look on anc and i cant find his service records so it looks as though they perished during the bombings of ww2

LYN

bit confused now...are you saying that charles frederick hadley who was KIA 1914 was on ships ? just had a quick look on anc and i cant find his service records so it looks as though they perished during the bombings of ww2

LYN
No Charles Frederick was in the military ww1.
Charles F Hadley. Charles Frederick Hadley was born in October 1887 in Aston, Warwickshire
HADLEY Charles
Regiment : C Company 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment
Service number : 8675
Conflict : WW1
Date of death : Killed in action aged 27 on 31st October 1914

I think my grandad George Hadley was in RAF. On my dad's side my ggf was navy and I found his records including what ships he served on in ancestry. My ggf was Gordon archdale Jones - dad's side. Mum is Hadley side

right ive got it now....but as said i cant see any service record for charles frederick hadley although his medal card and soldiers effects info could be there

lyn

Back