• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

I believe it is Bob although I haven't walked through it for years. It leads into Glendon Road and to the left was access to the rear of the properties in that road.
Oh, how I hated that hill in Jerry's Lane on the way home from Bridge Road and Knightwick Crescent.
LadyP
It is strange how things get forgotten, but Glendon Road, I can now see it as clearly as if I was there yesterday, but until you mentioned it I had not heard the name since I left the family home in 1959. What I can always remember and I have mentioned it before that on summer Sundays as I went to my grandmothers, there was always the sound of two way family favourites and the smell of the beef cooking for the roast dinner and also the smell of Privet hedges a sickly sweet smell, that at the time seemed very strong.
Bob

I'm having a problem locating this image of "Cole Holloway" Bartley Green as I can find no other reference to it. It's one of Sir Benjamin Stone's photos so obviously it dates before his death in 1914. I'm beginning to think it must be a forerunner of the Holloway that ran from Merritts Hill down to Merritts Brook Lane Northfield. I walked up and down there many a time with my brother in law for a drink at the Highlander pub at the top of the hill when my sister lived in Vinyard Road.

Can anybody confirm this or even refute the idea, because I really haven't a clue.

Bartley Green Cole Holloway. (.jpg

Phil, they put a 'kissing gate' across our cut-through and then made it part of a cycleway!

Bob, it's the smell of privet on a hot afternoon that always takes me back too.

Phil
From
List of Highways Maintained at Public Expense - Birmingham City ...
position is SP0181NW
(The forum does not seem to write zero in the same way as Word or other sites, or perhaps its my laptop)
Google maps does not accept OS codes for positioning, but Oldmaps site does and gives the position below. There are two new side roads off Moors lane, one of which has no name (either on google overview or streetview, while the other streetview names as a branch of Moors lane (which must be wrong). Presumably it is one of these though there is no sign on earlier os maps

ScreenHunter_7222 Apr. 19 16.39.jpg ScreenHunter_7223 Apr. 19 16.42.jpg ScreenHunter_7224 Apr. 19 16.50.jpg

Hi Mike

I followed the same path as you indicate and came to the same conclusion, I had seen all unnamed footpaths on the old maps, but ignored them because other Holloways in the area were named on the map. I sill find it strange that if it was an adopted road maintained by Birmingham Council that there is no sign of it on the maps.

Phil, they put a 'kissing gate' across our cut-through and then made it part of a cycleway!

Bob, it's the smell of privet on a hot afternoon that always takes me back too.
Lady P
It is a strange thing, my youth was full of Privet hedges, down yer tes a rare bird, not many to be seen and those that there are do not seem to have an aroma, but I remember that all the way along Court Lane, Goosemoor Lane, Chester Road, it was all Privet hedges. Memories, memories.
Bob

I'm sure that not all privet hedges flower - or is that just my imagination? It's the flowers that smell so strongly, especially in the sunshine. Privet blossom takes me back to Sunday afternoons walking down Court Lane. At the side of what is now Jarvis Road there was a ancient path (still there mostly) going through to Goosemoor Lane and at the Court Lane End was a Victorian House which they demolished to make way for this new road. I seem to remember that this property had high hedges but I don't think it was privet, more likely holly, and yet the smell takes me there. Weird!! I'm sure this path has been mentioned on the forum previously. Do you remember that house Bob? I always thought it looked like a 'Christmas card house'. Despite the fact that all this development has gone on the path still retains some of its original hedges.
In case Jarvis Road was built after you left, it's the other end to where you lived starting almost opposite Madehurst Road, about three quarters of the way down Court Lane, blocks of flats now march down what were previously allotments.

Last edited:
I can remember that house, with its snooker table in the front room. There was also a row of terraced cottages next door that were also demolished to make way for Jarvis Road

I'm sure that not all privet hedges flower - or is that just my imagination? It's the flowers that smell so strongly, especially in the sunshine. Privet blossom takes me back to Sunday afternoons walking down Court Lane. At the side of what is now Jarvis Road there was a ancient path (still there mostly) going through to Goosemoor Lane and at the Court Lane End was a Victorian House which they demolished to make way for this new road. I seem to remember that this property had high hedges but I don't think it was privet, more likely holly, and yet the smell takes me there. Weird!! I'm sure this path has been mentioned on the forum previously. Do you remember that house Bob? I always thought it looked like a 'Christmas card house'. Despite the fact that all this development has gone on the path still retains some of its original hedges.
In case Jarvis Road was built after you left, it's the other end to where you lived starting almost opposite Madehurst Road, about three quarters of the way down Court Lane, blocks of flats now march down what was previously allotments.
Lady P. Jarvis Road must have been made after I left the area, because after I married, I moved to Park Avenue, Handsworth and then Mum and Dad moved firstly to Water Orton and finally Yoxall where Dad died and Mum moved back to Yoxall, so at that time, with no interest in the past etc, I did not really look back at the Court Lane area until my children were 8/9yrs old and then of course I had to show them where your Dad was born. Since then when I come back to Birmingham, I make it my business to come down Court Lane from the Chester Road end and then turn off at the Spinney and follow the 5 or 65 route back to Town. Just been looking at Google street view and it all looks very different to how I remember it, Norfolk and Somerset Roads, Madehurst, Jerrys Lane, Turfpits all familiar, but there are a load of names I do not know and houses built where there were not houses before. I must stop all this reminiscing and live for today. However it is good to see that Boldmere St Michaels still have the ground up Church Road.

Bob

Yes Bob, the football club is still there and has new all weather pitches. The big change is that the church has sold off the land where the vicarage stood and there is a development of retirement properties now. I must say I miss the garden parties with the big marquee and strawberry teas.

Court Lane - Jarvis Road.JPG
I don't remember the terraced cottages Morturn - where we they? To the right or left of the house?

Looking toward the gully, with your back to Madhurst Road, the big house was to the right, then the row of terraced cottages, I think there were three or four.

Was that map there earlier? I don't know how I missed it - it's big enough! Thank you. No, still can't picture them and yet I passed them many times.

Familiarly erodes away curiosity. Things in plan sight become invisible when we pass them everyday.

Time for another example of one of the little narrow streets and passageways that abounded around Birmingham. This one was located in Edgbaston (or Lee Bank if you like). Cambridge Crescent, a narrow cul de sac back in the day it ran off Gough Road, but today has been reformed, reshaped and renamed and only part of it remains with new housing. The position of the original photo would be the now junction of Woodview Drive and Springmeadow Road.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Cambridge Crescent off Springbank Road.JPG
    Edgbaston Cambridge Crescent off Springbank Road.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 45
  • cambridge crescent.JPG
    cambridge crescent.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 44
I have to say that I like the older picture in post 1278 more than the - could be anywhere - later one. Of particular charm is the tilted lamp post; I wonder if that was a deliberate tilt to avoid high sided vehicles hitting it especially due the presence of those very overhanging trees.

Radiorails

In reality the newer image is the only part of the street still named Cambridge Crescent. This image below is more or less where the original photo was taken from and is now a part of Woodview Drive.

woodview drive.JPG

How nice that someone has mentioned LEASE LANE and to see a picture of it, as I was born at no 8, Lease Lane in 1948, I have many happy memories of the Wholesale and Retail Markets and all my family worked in the Bull Ring. The well known character Percy Moseley and his family lived next door but one.

I hope that being born so close to the Bull Ring and St Martin's Church that I can call myself a true 'Brummie'.

Smiler
Hiya smiler

Back