• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phyllis Nicklin's Working Life

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
There are several threads on the Forum about Phyllis Nicklin's photographic work, her background and her legacy. But none of these show her day-to -day work. Here are a few glimpses of that work. They tell us that, not only did she lecture at Birmingham University, but she also delivered courses around the Midlands at weekends and during summer breaks.

The first shows a rare (albeit poor quality) image of Phyllis at a Coventry Historical meeting. Viv.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

thats very interesting info viv thanks..as a keen photographer i bet phyllis was not very impressed with that photo of herself

lyn

Can you view these Mort ?

Lyn - be nice to see the photo in the original newspaper as I'm sure it would be better than the one scanned online. Viv

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 10
Phyllis' popularity as a lecturer was such that her University lectures had to be held in the largest lecture theatre. And she was certainly in demand further afield. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

There is something technically strange with this thread ...
I can see the images and the thumbnails expand when I am not logged in but
cannot see them when I am logged in ... I get error messages.
Using PC and also iPad, same results on both.
I have never seen that before ...:)

To Mort and OM - This might be due to 'permissions'. Shall ask Warren to look into it for us. Viv.

i had the same problem with a thread some weeks back phil although with this one i can see all the images ok if logged in or logged out very odd

lyn

Hi Lyn, it is something to do with permissions in the original thread because I had no 'edit' option in the original thread and also had no 'image upload' option. I have no problems in this thread which has different permission settings. I have just uploaded one of the above pics in the forum test area with no problem so the images are ok.
Phil

Last edited:
I've asked Warren to look into the permissions so hopefully we can get it working for you all. Lyn and I have the necessary permission as moderators.

The alternative is to move the thread to another area where members have access. Viv.

Temporarily I've copied the thread to the Famous People of Birmngham section so members can view the thread properly. Someone let me know if it's working please. Thanks. Viv.

Temporarily I've copied the thread to the Famous People of Birmngham section so members can view the thread properly. Someone let me know if it's working please. Thanks. Viv.
Viv
Read the whole thread and saw the photos perfectly on all of the computers I use...a networked one where I work (yes even on a Sunday, this 81 year old was working), my laptop (Windows 10) and my Samsung tablet. I'll see if I can also get it on my blood pressure tablets as well. I can also get it on my smart phone. The only capability of computer use I have is keeping BHF logged in on all my thingys,
Bob

Now working for me on all devices.... it must be the permissions in the Phyllis Nicklin Archive probably need altering to individual threads in the archive.

This look all good to me now, many thanks. This is certainly a very interesting piece of research. Phyllis was certainly an enigma, but now we are gaining abetter understanding of her personal life. Well done folks, very much appreciated

I had this trouble some time back. I am now using Mercury browser - no more problems.

I have some more good news to:

CARL CHINN’S BRUMMAGEM MAGAZINE : ARTICLE

As previously mentioned in an update, Brummagem Magazine will feature an article about In The Footsteps Of Phyllis… just prior to the opening of the exhibition this summer. Carl is giving us 8 pages, so there will be one pair of photos per page.

I’m preparing the article to be published and would like to include one of your photographs, along with the Phyllis Nicklin original. The eight photos I’m hoping to use are:-

CC34 Colmore Row Wendy Miller

CC142 Rotunda View of Curzon St Station Teresa Dolan

HG18 Corner of Sherlock St and Moseley St Phil Lumby

LB18 Austin Motor Works John Hill

LW28 Demolition of Anderton Street Terraces Malcolm Veitch

SH3 BSA Works Armoury Road Wali Taylor

SO15 Worcester and Birmingham Canal Peter Allen

TY1 Engine Sheds David Moore

I have made my submission about the engine sheds, so its going to be an interesting year.

thats great news carolina...does it tell us if they will be online for the public to see them ie on the brum pics site which is where the others are??

lyn

Back