• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wylde Green School, Green Lanes School

mallyb2

master brummie
I too was a pupil at this school,from 1948 until around 1951,I can't remember any of the teacher's names unfortunately............Mal
I seem to recall it was known as Little Green Lanes (Lanes as plural) school but that could be a memory lapse...........

Looking again at the Little Green Lanes school thread,it would appear I have made a mistake with tha school. It would appear to be a different establishment.The school I attended was what is now called Wylde Green School,which is in little green lanes,sutton Coldfield.It was always known as little green lanes school.Apologies for any confusion caused...................Mal

Looking again at this thread,it would appear I have made a mistake with this school. It would appear to be a different establishment.The school I attended was what is now called Wylde Green School,which is in little green lanes,sutton Coldfield.It was always known as little green lanes school.Apologies for any confusion caused...................Mal
My first school. started 1941, Miss Freeman was headmistress and we had a fiery welsh teacher with a violent temper called Miss Williams, frightening she was bach.....But I did think it was called Green Lanes School, not Little Green Lanes when I was there. Just Googled it and it has lost some of its playground, because there is obviously not room for the air raid shelters anymore, they were in the playground and gosh those old outside toilets have gone. We used to come up the road off Boldmere Road, past the Little Theatre and over the railway bridge which in those days was not solid brick but a diamond mesh and we did unspeakable things from it, if trains were passing underneath (only the boys!!). The only names I remember were Trevor Snow, Michael Bateman and a Clifford (can't remember the last name). Used to walk every day from Court Lane, my mother pulled strings to get me in there instead of Jerrys Lane which was really the school I should have attended, the bus, the S73 did not coincide with school times.

Bob

There used to be a photographer called Harry Higgins who lived in Boldmere Road. He had a photo of the old wooden bridge which was there for a long time. I think it may have been the original bridge. I borrowed this photo together with several others when were were having a festival but returned them to him as promised. I just wish I had taken a copy as I would do today.

Hi All as far as I know Wylde Green School was a private school or it was when lived in Sutton Coldfield. joe90

There used to be a photographer called Harry Higgins who lived in Boldmere Road. He had a photo of the old wooden bridge which was there for a long time. I think it may have been the original bridge. I borrowed this photo together with several others when were were having a festival but returned them to him as promised. I just wish I had taken a copy as I would do today.
That was it, I was wrong, it was wooden with diamond pattern open mesh sides. Don't we all wish we had taken copies of, kept photos of asked questions about......it has taken me until now to find out that my grandfather's first wife died in the March quarter of the registration records and he married my grandmother in the June quarter (the same year). Family tree research has come to a halt because of the missing links that there is no trace of and with six degrees of separation, both sides of my family seem to have a common denominator in the Smallwood family and yet the great uncle I have called Smallwood is not on the huge Smallwood family database and tree which has been raised and is on the web. Ah sweet mystery of life what is that haunts you?.....I got that off Sunday Palm Court with Albert Sandler

Bob

Joe 90, that's Wylde Green School which I believe is now part of Highclare - on the main Birmingham Road. The one above is Wylde Green Primary School, previously Little Green Lanes, on the corner of Green Lanes and Little Green Lanes.

Bob, it would be nice to have a thread for Birmingham brick walls wouldn't it? Preferably one with a nice good fairy and a magic wand!!

Harry Higgins died in 2004, I have a few of his old 3 inch glass slides. When I get a few spare minutes I'll have a look through them

Ooh! That's really exciting sparky69. Our next door neighbour, Arnold Martin, was a newspaper photographer and had hundreds of glass slides. When he died we left a respectful space and then popped round to enquire about them only to be told by his wife 'I didn't think anyone would be interested in them so I threw them away!'

My first school. started 1941, Miss Freeman was headmistress and we had a fiery welsh teacher with a violent temper called Miss Williams, frightening she was bach.....But I did think it was called Green Lanes School, not Little Green Lanes when I was there. Just Googled it and it has lost some of its playground, because there is obviously not room for the air raid shelters anymore, they were in the playground and gosh those old outside toilets have gone. We used to come up the road off Boldmere Road, past the Little Theatre and over the railway bridge which in those days was not solid brick but a diamond mesh and we did unspeakable things from it, if trains were passing underneath (only the boys!!). The only names I remember were Trevor Snow, Michael Bateman and a Clifford (can't remember the last name). Used to walk every day from Court Lane, my mother pulled strings to get me in there instead of Jerrys Lane which was really the school I should have attended, the bus, the S73 did not coincide with school times.

Bob
Hello Bob
I am currently compiling a history of Wilde Green. Would you by any chance have any class photos I am struggling to find any. Kind regards Rubery

Hello Bob
I am currently compiling a history of Wilde Green. Would you by any chance have any class photos I am struggling to find any. Kind regards Rubery
Unfortunately no, I cannot remember any photos ever being taken, all I remember clearly are the two air raid shelters in the playground and the old outside toilets in a corner of the playground. Miss Wood and Mrs Williams a fiery Welsh woman were teachers and the headmistress was Mrs Freeman.
Bob

Bob
hello Bob do you have any class photos?

I left Little Green Lanes Jnr school in 1969 (no photo's taken when I was there either) Unfortunately I don't remember any of the teachers except a guy named Mr Ellis or Ellison who was a huge Leeds fan.

Last edited:
Back