• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mapledene Junior & Infants School

badpenny

Deleted Upon Request
New thread for anyone with any memories or photographs of Mapledene J&I school.

Mr Barlow was the Headmaster for the Juniors and Miss/Mrs Wild the infants.

Can anyone remember any more of the teaching staff?

Last edited:
Hi badpenny I was there from 1954 to 1958 Miss Walton was the secretary The teachers were Miss Figures she kept me in for talking one afternoon and forgot about me by 5 o'clock my mother was frantic . Then there was Mr Whiting he wore thick black spectacles and his shoes squeaked as he walked . Followed by Mr Greening the least said about him the better . Then I remember Mr Sinclair . Mr Smith took us for geometry he came to school on a bicycle the saddlebag used to be bulging with books he took home for marking . Mr Wimpory taught me in the final year he was keen on country dancing which we had to do some afternoons . He organised dances for us after we left when we were young teenagers . Three others I remember Mr Bates Deputy Head Mr Jackson ? Miss Boden ?
Hope this Helps

Yes, i remember some of those names, my first infants school teacher was Mrs Cadman

Last edited:
View attachment 116960 This class photograph is from 1960 or thereabouts.
1958ish to 1965 Memories of....
Infants School
Head Teacher - Mrs Wild
First year reception class was Mrs Cadman, Then Miss Thomkins and a Mrs Jones or Roberts (not sure about her as she married half way through the year and changed names) and seem to remember that one of them went to America? Then in final year I had Mrs Cornforth.

Lunchtime break - sale of buscuits outside Mrs Wilds office. Two Chocolate fingers 1d, Chocolate digestive 1d, Chocoate marshmallow 2d

Juniors
Headmasters Barlow and Thompson

Class 1.1. - Miss Cockrell
Class 2.1 - Mrs Best
Class 3.1 Mr Bates
Class 4.1 Mr Wimpory

Also Mrs Teague the resident pianist, Mr Roberts who taught class 2.2, Miss Ward, Mr Metcalf for PE, and Mr Cullen.
There was a Miss Rudall too who taught class 1.2 and took us boys from 1.1. for handicraft lessons. Punishment for making mistakes was to pull your hair until it lifted you out of your seat and would then march you to the front of the class on tip toe for public humiliation.

Mrs Best teaching times tables with a clock drawn on the blackboard. The multiplier was written in the middle and she would tap the multiplier and then each number on the clock face in turn for us to recite the result. Weeall chanted in unision until she tapped a number at random and then pointed the ruler in your direction - god help you if you got it wrong! Probably not acceptible today but I've never forgotten my times tables.

Mr Wimporary enthusiastically conducting singing lessons in the hall, waving a biro in place of a baton and beating the time with his big feet - occasionaly getting so enthused he would accidentaly poke you in the eye! Oh and country dancing lessons too.

The smell of the pinky/red carbolic soap and bolied cabbage :-(

The photo below is class 2.1 - July 1963 - teacher is Mrs Best

Attachments

• Mapledene_63.JPG
    Mapledene_63.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Mapledene Badge.JPG
    Mapledene Badge.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
After the last post I went up the attic and found the final year School Magazine - 1965 . There were over 40 pages of various academic and sports achievements and many essay compositions from various pupils but I chose just a few pages that may be of general interest - if anyone would like more info including the 11 plus achievers and their chosen schools I can supply these on request.

I have no idea who the author was as he/she gives no clues but it could have been either Mr Wimpory or Mrs Best? I noticed the pages were printed in the wrong order i.e. there was no page 3, page 36 followed page 5 etc. and I wondered whether the author had had a few vinos in the shade of those pine trees when typing up the final draft!

I returned to the school on its 50th anniversary and also in recent years for Sheldon Community Church Xmas carol services as a reminder of my Mom, who had been an active member of the Church from its early days. Though all the teachers have long gone the layout of the school looks and still feels as it did all those years ago and still brings back happy memories but I do wonder what ever happened to the clock we donated in our final year? :)

Apoligies if I've uploaded these in the wrong way.

Attachments

• 1m.jpg
    1m.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 55
  • 2m.jpg
    2m.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Last.JPG
    Last.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 49
My pal and i had charge of the morning biscuit/crisps monitor duty for a time, also included responsibility for the ringing

of the break time bell. Hard to believe it was sixty years ago.

In class 4.1 we all took turns collecting the morning milk and returning the empty bottles. The class room was on the upper floor and we had to negotiate the stairs down to the front entrance. Being smaller than all the other lads it was easier trail behind rather than negotiate the steps side by side. One particular day the lad in front decided to pick up pace and I grabbed the hand rail while he made carrying the crate a tug of war. Thankfully he saw sense when he realised I was about to let go which would have sent him and the crate flying.

Do you know what make of crisps the school sold. I don'trecall it being Smiths with the blue salt bag. In the final year it changed to Golden Wonder which started manufacture in England around 1964.

No i can't remember what brand of crisps we sold, too busy snaffling the chocolate digestives.

A perk of the job you understand and requiring some early creative accounting

To me this looks like a very well run and successful school. (40% of the leaving year group passed for grammar school in 1965). And so good to read fond comments about it. Viv.

No i can't remember what brand of crisps we sold, too busy snaffling the chocolate digestives.

Just came across this thread and the memories came flooding back!
I started at the infants school when I was about 5 which would be in 1956. The only teacher I remember from infants was Mrs Wilde, the headmistress although a Mrs Beeston rings a bell.
When I went up to the juniors my first year teacher was a Miss Stevens whose father was the caretaker at the time. Then in the second year it was Mrs Best, a real disciplinarian who rapped knuckles regularly with her wooden ruler. Always wore jewellery and make up. She also organised drama at the school. I acted in several plays during my time there and remember we took part in a drama festival at the Midland Institute in town. I'm still at it at nearly 70 and am currently rehearsing a part in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing!
After that we had Mr Bates, a wonderful guy. Taught us the art of choral speaking and was an enthusiastic sports supporter and school sports coach.
Last year was Mr Wimpory.(Initials L.C. hence nicknamed Elsie) Great history teacher and member of the local Sheldon Historical Society. What didn't he know about our local area? English country dancing was also a great love of his. I was quite good at it but hated it and despite this was chosen twice to dance for the school in festivals involving other local schools.
Other teachers I remember. Mr Cullen, a gentle man who tended to all the pot plants in the school and some of the garden. He had a few apple trees growing there I seem to remember.
Mr Whitehouse. Didn't have much to do with him except for one lesson, craftwork I think, where I was hauled out in front of the class together with a couple of other miscreants for messing about and made to stand facing the blackboard. I thought it was a bit amusing and started giggling. Next thing I knew was a smack round the back of my head and my forehead bouncing off the blackboard!
There were other teachers there but those were the ones that stood out but head and shoulders above all of them was the fantastic Mr Barlow the headmaster who had time for each and every child in his school and encouraged, nurtured and supported us all during our time there.
Sorry for going on a bit but I hope you enjoy a few of my memories.
Jim.

Found a nice photograph of the school football team 1958/9 season.View attachment 115147
I seem to recognise a few faces on this photo. Backrow: 2nd from left David Gray next to him Anton Rapps, the next four I can't remember, then I think Tony Orton and far right Robert Scholar. The only other one I recognise is in between Mr Bates and Mr Barlow and that's Roy Tinkler.

I have dug out a few pictures taken at the Coronation celebrations held at Mapledene in 1953. I can't remember whether I had started in the infants school then.
sfxhdt.jpg
w6sf89.jpg
35mlekn.jpg

29cujyg.jpg

The first one is of the fancy dress competition. I'm the little lad on the right of the picture dressed, so I've been told, as Huckleberry Finn. (At that age I wouldn't have had a clue who he was:D) The lady at the back is my auntie who's carrying my younger sister. The girl dressed as the queen of hearts was called Barbara Jones who lived in the last house in Mapledene Rd. The boy dressed as the clown is I think one of the Woakes brothers but I don't know which one.
The next two show one of the classrooms decked out for our coronation tea and us ravenous kids demolishing all the food in front of us. Sadly I don't recognise anyone there.
The last one shows the judges of the fancy dress. My Nan is there but I still didn't win:D

I seem to recognise a few faces on this photo. Backrow: 2nd from left David Gray next to him Anton Rapps, the next four I can't remember, then I think Tony Orton and far right Robert Scholar. The only other one I recognise is in between Mr Bates and Mr Barlow and that's Roy Tinkler.
Did David Gray have a younger brother as I was in the same reception class in infants as John Gray. Ps any typos are due to fact am trying to type on phone on train!

No, Dave lived in Silveremere Rd and only had two sisters, Linda and Christine. We were each others best man at our respective weddings and we used to go down the Villa together but I haven't seen him for years.

I have dug out a few pictures taken at the Coronation celebrations held at Mapledene in 1953. I can't remember whether I had started in the infants school then.
sfxhdt.jpg
w6sf89.jpg
35mlekn.jpg

29cujyg.jpg

The first one is of the fancy dress competition. I'm the little lad on the right of the picture dressed, so I've been told, as Huckleberry Finn. (At that age I wouldn't have had a clue who he was:D) The lady at the back is my auntie who's carrying my younger sister. The girl dressed as the queen of hearts was called Barbara Jones who lived in the last house in Mapledene Rd. The boy dressed as the clown is I think one of the Woakes brothers but I don't know which one.
The next two show one of the classrooms decked out for our coronation tea and us ravenous kids demolishing all the food in front of us. Sadly I don't recognise anyone there.
The last one shows the judges of the fancy dress. My Nan is there but I still didn't win:D
The outside photo looks like it was taken outside the class room used by Mr Bates. I liked him. Coached us for footbsll but I was useless. Remember him making us learn and recite poetry and making accentuted pronunciations. Sent us home one Friday with two poems to learn - Snow and Darius the Mede. The last one was quite a long poem but for some reason my sheet only had Snow printed on it. I didn't say anything as it meant I could only learn one. When we came back into school we were asked to recite in a group and he randomly selected individuals to take solo turns. Fortunately I never got picked and happily mimes my way through Darius

Darius the Mede was a King and a wonder
With an eye of steel and a voice like thunder..........................
I can't remember the rest offhand but I've never forgotten those opening lines!
There was another one we performed on stage for parents as well, something about a Tiger, the only words I can recall are....."Hacking throughe jungle like a knife"
All in an effort for us to speak correctly and lose our Brummie accent:D

He also had a fondness for Acid Drops. When we had written work to do and our heads down over our books, he would always sneak one from his pocket and unwrap it under his desk. We always knew because the wrapping paper used crinkle loudly although he tried so hard not to make a sound.

Back