• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Weather : past adverse weather in Birmingham

Yes Big Gee the winter of 1962-63, I did my paper round through that winter and didn't miss a morning or night round throughout, and went to school every day, it never closed, no fuss. Their just wimps these days.

Had loads and loads of snow here on the Kent coast. Still thick on the ground and now snowing again. Wind chill factor has been down to minus 11, last few days a tad better, only minus 5 - 7. But kids are still tobogganing on the slopes down to the beach, so the bitter wind chill hasn't put em off. Seeng lots of sledges propped up against houses. These are being used to pull children around and shopping.

Walking the dog today was treacherous - there's a thick ice skin on top of deep snow now. Has a great crackling crunch when you walk on it ! Wondering if the sea will freeze this year. It's done so in the not too instant past.

The biggest downside ? Making sure when you're out and about to cover face before your eyeballs freeze in their sockets ! Hey ho, roll on Spring. Viv.

Had loads and loads of snow here on the Kent coast. Still thick on the ground and now snowing again. Wind chill factor has been down to minus 11, last few days a tad better, only minus 5 - 7. But kids are still tobogganing on the slopes down to the beach, so the bitter wind chill hasn't put em off. Seeng lots of sledges propped up against houses. These are being used to pull children around and shopping.

Walking the dog today was treacherous - there's a thick ice skin on top of deep snow now. Has a great crackling crunch when you walk on it ! Wondering if the sea will freeze this year. It's done so in the not too instant past.

The biggest downside ? Making sure when you're out and about to cover face before your eyeballs freeze in their sockets ! Hey ho, roll on Spring. Viv.
Eyeballs freezing in their sockets....and on that cheery thought.........

That's what it feels like Bob.

Just checked our local forecast and the snow that's coming down is called "ice pellets" Is that the type of snow referred to earlier ? Never heard of it before. Viv.

I'm with you there, Kat. Enough is enough. It's supposed to be getting a bit milder over the weekend....touch wood.

I was thinking - I started work on 7 January 1963 in the middle of The Big Freeze, in the Chemistry Dept of Birmingham University. It wasn't snowing as I set out from home to catch two buses, but snow was piled up in drifts and where it had been ploughed, and it was bitter cold. The No 5 bus only just got up Witton Road hill towards Six Ways Aston - I remember that well. When I got to my new job there was no cotton-wooling, no sympathy expressed for making a long journey in rotten conditions, no 'induction', nothing; I was shown where I was to work, introduced to the two technicians I was to work with, and basically told to do what they told me. At least the labs were warm!

G

You've reminded me of a visit to a Guiness-owned factory who made left-angled (?) torches for the military. It was some sort of plastics extrusion factory. I went on a visit there (which I think was in Witton) as part of my training in the 1970s.

Terrible snow, struggled from road to road, bus to bus, wet through, finally arriving to discover everyone there before me, no excuses, let's get on with things. Was soaked through with cold wet feet and not so much as a cup of tea. This was real industry - and an eye opener for a soft office worker like me. What Midlanders are made of. But we were presented with a military green torch after the visit. Nice, but pity it didn't give off any heat for the journey home (or make a cup of hot tea!) . Viv.

I'm with you there, Kat. Enough is enough. It's supposed to be getting a bit milder over the weekend....touch wood.

I was thinking - I started work on 7 January 1963 in the middle of The Big Freeze, in the Chemistry Dept of Birmingham University. It wasn't snowing as I set out from home to catch two buses, but snow was piled up in drifts and where it had been ploughed, and it was bitter cold. The No 5 bus only just got up Witton Road hill towards Six Ways Aston - I remember that well. When I got to my new job there was no cotton-wooling, no sympathy expressed for making a long journey in rotten conditions, no 'induction', nothing; I was shown where I was to work, introduced to the two technicians I was to work with, and basically told to do what they told me. At least the labs were warm!

G

hi G i remember the big freeze of 63 with fondness....mind you i was only 9 and a bit at the time...our mom just couldnt get me in :D

lyn

Nice reading people's memories. I used to catch 4 buses a day to work. It's like a job in itself. People in cars used to think you were mad when you turned up to work wrapped up with a golf umbrella, but it's what was necessary to keep warm and dry. Oh it's not that bad is what I heard over and over, but how did they know what it would be like on the way home!!!!

I usually stick up for the public transport commuter if I hear that kind of thing said now I'm a car driver!!!!!

We have cancelled our trip to Madrid tomorrow. We have dogs to get into kennels and we couldn't get the car out this am. It was only a short city break. Loads of flights have been cancelled from bham and in Madrid the live cam showed snow on the palm trees!!

Without going into too much detail, it wasn't worth the risk. I also have a head cold.

We are safe, that's the main thing.

Temperature sat 1700hrs a balmy 3degrees, been raining on and off since dawn, wet cold rain still coming from the south/southeast, tomorrow heavy rain overnight and up to 6degrees some snow still lying on high ground, but fast disappearing, but no train Exeter to Barnstaple. Trust all of you in the Midlands , Eddie in exposed Norfolk and any one else in the snow belt, including those living at altitude in the US of A are safe, well and warm. I also know that some northern hemisphere sun places can also be cold and wet at this time of year. A few years ago, the orange harvest was ruined by frost as well as a friend's holiday in the sun in Florida. They had to join the queue at Wal-Mart to buy jumpers etc.....of course I sympathise!!!
Bob

Last edited:
As the name implies...I'm a snowbird. Folks from Canada and the northern US states, head south for the winter. Not always summer like weather here in coastal Georgia, but it is way better than where you come from. I hate snow!! Back home, most significant snow is cleared post haste, usually 12-24 hrs. Snow clearing budgets are huge and there are lots equipment available to do the job. Sidewalks must be cleared of snow within 12 hours of the end of snowfall and is the responsibility of the homeowner to do this. I'm down here and pay someone else to do this, however, I'm still responsible.
Dave A

Can you imagine (I can't) what it is like this time of the year to be in Siberia, Scandinavia or Greenland etc... Yet a few inches of snow and a few degrees below zero and it is chaos here, I suppose it's because we are not used to it and they are. Roll on Spring. I had a pleasant surprise today, returned from walking my dog Toby and found my next door neighbours had cleared my drive of snow, I was so grateful. Eric

I thought the Siberian thing today cookie.

Glad that your neighbour cleared your drive for you.

Regards to yourself and Toby

My neighbour cleared my snow off the drive this morning as well, really nice of him, just a young chap and his wife. Good to see community spirit isn't dead. Went round to thank him.
Trouble is its snowed again this evening, wonder if he will do the same tomorrow.:D

Came round to your local shop yesterday morning Eric and saw your neighbour clearing the snow,how kind
This morning it has been raining where you and I live.
I suppose the media will have to think up a silly name for the floods next.

I was in my porch (no, not the car you fool ) this morning, putting my wellies on to take my westie for a walk, when there was an ominous roar & a loud thud, caused by snow sliding off the roof. Being a highly trained soldier that i was, i dived for cover & & shouted `fire in the hole` Seriously though, the snow was thawing nicely & now there`s heavy snow falling again. Getting a bit tired of all this white stuff now.

Almost melted here Smudger. We're up to 8 degrees today. "Here comes Summer ......."

Viv.

It makes me smile when we old folk say "all this fuss every time it snows, we didn`t fuss over a bit of snow back then" But back then (50s) there was probably no more than a million cars on the roads. And now there`s probably 20 or 30 million cars & hgv`s, & on the motorways & it takes just one vehicle to get stuck or breakdown & nothing can move till it`s sorted by a breakdown wagon or ambulance if it can get through the tailback. Such is progress :{

True Smudger, but in the 30/40's very few people owned cars (hence few on the road), it was walk, bike or public transport to work or school, a very efficient, cheap and frequent public transport service albeit trams uncomfortable and no heating in the Winter. Also I do not remember schools closing down because of bad weather like they do now, ours certainly didn't (Sharmans Cross Solihull), I had a mile to go and used a bike like most of the others. My Dad, a builders carpenter, also used a bike to work, never owned a car all his life. Eric

Went down to Otter Garden Centre for coffee today, sunshine 10degrees, snow melting a bootiful day yer, however now at 1626 back home, hammering down with torrential rain, temperature 7degrees, but black as the proverbial out there.
Bob

christmas%2B1820ish.jpg

christmas%2Bcloseup1.png

Is that the garden centre in Ottery St Mary Bob. I no it well. My Mum worked there in the 1980s after Mum and Dad retired to Ottery from Brum.

nice sunny start to the day in brum...still quite a bit of snow here but hopefully it will be gone today

lyn

Is that the garden centre in Ottery St Mary Bob. I no it well. My Mum worked there in the 1980s after Mum and Dad retired to Ottery from Brum.
Yes it is they now have branches in Plymouth, Torquay and one other place, very popular for its restaurant, especially on a Sunday for the carvery, although it was not so busy yesterday, but it made a day out. Today it is heavy rain, a grey miserable wet day, temperature 6degrees. Your parents went there to take part in the tar barrel rolling did they?
Bob

Earlier in the thread when we had a load of snow I took to looking at Ilfracombe's webcam because I had never seen snow there. They have the highest resolution webcam I have ever seen scanning the harbour area, looks good on full screen. This morning the snow has all gone..and tide's in:)
20180305_093539000_iOS (Medium).jpg
https://ilfracombewebcam.co.uk/

Back