• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Motor Buses Omnibuses

S

Stitcher

img635.jpg
I have put this one on to test the experts, Ha Ha. It is a picture I came across while sorting. There is no information with it but the writing on the front tells me it is in London but what sort /type/make of vehicle is it??

A London General Omnibus Co "K" type, Stitcher, chassis built by AEC "Builders of London's Buses" in the early 1920s. Like the earlier "B" type but longer, and with the driver moved from behind the engine to alongside it to give more passenger space. No protection against the wind, rain & cold though! The K-type could carry 46 passengers, 22 inside facing forward and 24 outside (upstairs), in the open air.
It is on route 6, which back then was Hackney Wick to Kensal Rise via the City.
The "AC" plate on the side of the lower deck indicates the bus was allocated to Willesden garage on the High Street there (the AC stands for 'Angel Court', which used to stand next door to the garage).

Do I pass the test? Sorry I don't know the driver's name!

Is that the 'bus they called 'Old Bill', I remember completing an Airfix model of it many years ago ???? Eric

A London General Omnibus Co "K" type, Stitcher, chassis built by AEC "Builders of London's Buses" in the early 1920s. Like the earlier "B" type but longer, and with the driver moved from behind the engine to alongside it to give more passenger space. No protection against the wind, rain & cold though! The K-type could carry 46 passengers, 22 inside facing forward and 24 outside (upstairs), in the open air.
It is on route 6, which back then was Hackney Wick to Kensal Rise via the City.
The "AC" plate on the side of the lower deck indicates the bus was allocated to Willesden garage on the High Street there (the AC stands for 'Angel Court', which used to stand next door to the garage).

Do I pass the test? Sorry I don't know the driver's name!

Oi Lloyd,

never mind posting stuff about London, have you finished restoring the REDD yet?? :)

040.jpg Manor Arms Cato Street

Not very good at this not been on the site for a while. I do not know how to replace photographs but this was one I posted sometime ago it looks as if it is a ladies day out from the local pub. I think my grandma must be there somewhere, not sure what year it is though just thought it was two very old charabang.

The information regarding the original posting of this pic can be found in the thread "Where do I post". April 2009 is the time sector.

Milnes Daimler..jpeg 1904, Outside Birmingham Council House.
A Milnes Daimler belonging to Birmingham Express Motor Co.

This 'new' motor bus seems to be working the same route as that in post#10 (and could even be the same vehicle). As the postcard caption uses 'new' to describe the motor bus, assume it must have been when these were first introduced to Birmingham streets.

The two young lads to the right look mesmerised by it.

Viv.

image.jpeg

This 'new' motor bus seems to be working the same route as that in post#10 (and could even be the same vehicle). As the postcard caption uses 'new' to describe the motor bus, assume it must have been when these were first introduced to Birmingham streets. The two young lads to the right look mesmerised by it.
Viv.

There were a small number of these Milnes-Daimlers on trial between 1904 and 1907. They were not considered successful, and the company (later to become the Midland Red) reverted to Horse bus operation - in fact, the motors were just part of a much bigger service fleet, most of which were horse powered. This is in Sandon Road, very near to Bearwood Road, using the nearby 'Bear Hotel' as the terminus name.

I think this was taken in New Street outside King Edwards school. I have no date for this, but it must be an early bus with the name Birmingham Motor Express Co. Ltd written on the side of the bus. Also the postcard is labelled "New Motor Bus". It might even be the same bus as in post #11. The front end of the bus seems to be attracting some attention.Viv.

image.jpeg

I think this was taken in New Street outside King Edwards school. I have no date for this, but it must be an early bus with the name Birmingham Motor Express Co. Ltd written on the side of the bus. Also the postcard is labelled "New Motor Bus". It might even be the same bus as in post #11. The front end of the bus seems to be attracting some attention.Viv.

Yes, this point in New St was for many years the bus (Horse & Motor) terminus for what was to become the Midland Red. The vehicle is a Milnes Daimler, built in Hadley (now part of Telford), one of a small number of mechanical omnibuses trialled (unsuccesfully) between 1904 and 1907.

Last edited:
This probably would have been the continuation of (non-motor) coaches from that point, as the Hen & Chickens was a regular starting point for coaches to Norwich, Leicester, Redditch, Lichfield and other places

Transition from tram to bus at Selly Oak terminus. No date for this one, but sure one of our experts can pinpoint it. Viv.

image.jpeg

Not sure how accurate it is but have a slightly poorer quality copy labelled 1913

First MOTOR omnibus in Birmingham perhaps, but horse and steam buses had been around for a while in 1897. The first 'Omnibus' (which is the Latin word for "For All") was George Shillibeer's in London which took up service on 4 July 1829 on a route between Paddington (The Yorkshire Stingo) and the Bank of England.

Shillibeer's_first_omnibus.png

Back