• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Greyhound, Court Lane

The boundary has always been a problem in this area and is different on each map I look at.

You are quite fortunate it seems, Lady P, that a war has never broken out in your area. :D

The boundary has always been a problem in this area and is different on each map I look at.

You are quite fortunate it seems, Lady P, that a war has never broken out in your area. :D

give it time alan...give it time..:D:D

this pub is now surrounded by scaf and the notice says closed for extensive renovations closed 15th of jan and re opens 8th of feb..good news for a change

lyn

Last edited:
As you say Lyn, Good News for a change. I'm still trying to trace the history of this area but it's very hard to get any information on it. Birmingham says 'Sutton will have it', Sutton says 'Warwick will have that' and Warwick says 'Suttons got it' so round and round I go. Somewhere on the forum the original Greyhound is mentioned. The post was a really old one and now I can't find it again. It described the pub as a wooden framed structure. It was the only time I have seen that member's name. I believe she did her research at Sutton but that may have been before they 'filed' everything. Still waiting to see the maps I ordered in May 2017.

thats great pen will be nice to get some background on this pub and the original one...later on i will have a look around the forum to see if i can find this info you saw some years back...where did you order the maps from pen...its a long time t wait for them

lyn

Sutton. I gave them the benefit of the doubt as they were under threat of closure but now that's passed for a while I'll have to see what I can do.

Lyn, I finally found the bit about the Greyhound. Luckily I had copied it. It was written by Beverleigh but I'm not sure of the date or which thread it was on. I know it was quite some time ago. Although it includes other information it does mention the Greyhound and the rest is local to the pub so I have left it intact as it may be of interest to other people. Please move it if you feel it would be better somewhere else.

When researching the history of this area, I remember reading that the part of the Hall's Garden centre shop, which fronts Chester Road is what remains of a cottage which was known as Cook's farm. Looking at old maps, I came to the conclusion that Gibbet Hill was behind the New Oscott Tavern, but the old maps are hard to relate to modern ones. I know that Boldmere Lake used to stand where Fosseway Drive is (perhaps a little further covering Lakehouse) and that the Greyhound pub was once a coaching inn used by travellers on the Chester Road, the present building replacing an older timber-framed one. I also remember reading that one of the highwaymen hung on Gibbet Hill was called Jordan and he was buried at the junction of Chester Road and what is now College Road, and the local area was known as Jordan's Grave for a long time after this and his ghost was reported as late as the 1950s. Once reading the Birmingham Gazette from 1799, there was a report of a Mr. Hunt being held up by a highwayman, on the London and Chester Road as he was crossing the Coldfield, who took his pocket watch and money. However, when Mr. Hunt asked for the return of some of his money, the highwayman did so. If I remember correctly, he returned to him five shillings. The Coldfield was well-known for highwaymen.

That's a really interesting tool Morturn, and I will definitely have a closer look.

Lyn, thank you for that, this boundary has always been a problem for me. I thought that the Old Chester Road (as described on the 1851 census) was probably the border but the Greyhound always appears in Boldmere, Sutton Coldfield. I shall have to get all my info out again and try to convince Sutton that they have some further details. I just wish I knew who 'Beverleigh' is. There must be lots of names on this forum of people who no longer post. That's life though isn't it?

pen we do have a find a member box and i have checked... there is no longer a member with that name on the forum

lyn

I guessed that would happen - usually the way! Never mind, I'll keep plugging away. I know quite a bit more than when I started so that's a good thing anyway. Thanks for trying Lyn.

Penny

There is a boundary sign just across the road too.View attachment 122361
Having lived over the road at 369 and then moving across the road to number 396, can you spot your picture is it opposite the newsagents? In the past there was an opening there originally allowing access to the back of the houses. When the householders began to own cars, garages were erected at the top of the back garden and accessed through this entry and track. The map at 41 marks the boundary and seems to settle that argument and i had forgotten about the Erdington at 42 on the street name, which was of course Birmingham pattern.
Bob

Strange what comes into your head!

“3, 6, 9, the goose drank wine
The monkey chewed tobacco on the streetcar line
The line broke, the monkey got choked
And they all went to heaven in a little rowboat.”

Got to be back to the 60s?

Another shot of the Greyhound c1938. Wondering if that is the boundary post on the rightbirmingham Court Lane Erdington c 1933.jpg in white

looks like it to me mort...same photo as i posted saying it was the boundary post

Can anyone tell me what the brewery name is in the 1938 postcard last posted by Morturn please? The sign doesn't appear to have a greyhound. What was the brewery that had a deer leaping across a valley? Beer lovers please help.

56611_a320461781685d2b54f49258e1d5e717.jpg
56611_8a2e0f783e0ada146f653531156cabb4.jpg

iu

Thank you both, I thought it was. I had hoped that the brewery had built the Greyhound but it was definitely a pub in 1841 and according to their website M & B was established in 1898. I think the style of the building is earlier than 1898 but I'm sure someone will put me right on that if not.

As far as the boundary post query is concerned - I think it is - the boundary appears to go between the pub and the houses and diagonally across the road before following Court Lane up to the lodge and then turning into the College grounds and across parallel with Chester Road.

Back