• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories : Essence Of The 50s And 60s

I was born in 1946 and found the 1950's formal and rather stifling. Could well have been down to my parents, but when I started work in 1963 a lot of things had changed, including fashion - in the 1950's it seemed that we all had to conform, whereas as the sixties wore on we could wear just about what we liked, within reason. I also welcomed the expanded availability of entertainment, especially live music.
As I don't remember the War, perhaps my view of the 1950's is a bit one-sided, but that's how I recall life back then. I know our standard of living rose much faster in the 1960's than previously.

G
I was born in 1940, so I became a teenager in the 50's. I feel that the 50's were a major turning point in society. In an earlier post in this thread, I alluded to the fact that popular music was the domain of 'grown ups' and that's what you listened to. Come the 50's...fashion became a domain of youth, and in particular, teenagers...We had the Edwardian look, more commonly know as Teddy boys. So, those of us that started work in the 50's had disposable income and were to become targeted in marketing terms. I remember having a pair of trousers 'tapered' at a local tailor shop. My dad disliked anything youth oriented, including music and fashion. The consequences were that I had to store my drainpipes at a friends house and change into them when going out looking for girls or other teen stuff. My dad never ever found out that I was doing this.
Dave A

Al Martino, Here in my Heart, the first hit parade No 1, Frankie Laine with Jezebel, Guy Mitchell and the Cry boy himself Johnnie Ray. Those Sunday Afternoon Radio programmes, that was when music stopped being the property of your Mum and Dad and their ballroom dancing and the 50s teenager took over, remember Jack Jackson and his wonderful programme and by the late fifties, the Creep, the Cha Cha Cha and jive/bop had taken over. At both the Palace Erdington and the Carlton as well as the Crib, Kingstanding and the Plaza, the Cha Cha was always done to the Joe Loss number Wheels Cha Cha Cha which in the six degrees theory brings me round to the muscle man. I have evens on someone now posting a you tube extract of it.....Counting and out.
Bob

And there was Suncap (I think that was the name), bottles of orange drink with a gold foil top we used to have as kids every Sunday morning. Delivered in an open-topped lorry and always ice-cold, I remember. Delicious!

Regards, Ray T.
Our house was built in the 50's and a couple of years back I dug this up in the front garden when removing an old tree root. Didn't have the heart to throw it away and have kept it in the garage ever since, it still has some mud around the top of the bottle! View attachment 122318 View attachment 122318 View attachment 122318

Attachments

• Sunkap.JPG
    Sunkap.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 58
peach.jpg
My dad used to buy this for me in the 1960s (Pretty Peach solid perfume). It was more of a cream than a solid.
Solid perfume is having a bit of a comeback, I think. L'Occitane are doing one or two.

View attachment 122362
My dad used to buy this for me in the 1960s (Pretty Peach solid perfume). It was more of a cream than a solid.
Solid perfume is having a bit of a comeback, I think. L'Occitane are doing one or two.
Maria, I'm sure this was by Avon. It was their range for girls. My mom had a lot of similar cream pots from Avon. I can remember Topaz, Honeysuckle, Wishing, Occur and Birds of Paradise. I thought they were so exotic! :D

Bob, you're wrong about not having a knitted swimming costume in your post #78 and here's my photo to prove it.

I've just started swimming lessons and wouldn't risk one now!

Attachments

• scan0080.jpg
    scan0080.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 57
Maria, I'm sure this was by Avon. It was their range for girls. My mom had a lot of similar cream pots from Avon. I can remember Topaz, Honeysuckle, Wishing, Occur and Birds of Paradise. I thought they were so exotic! :D

Yes, it was! I remember most of those names, but not Birds of Paradise. Wasn't there one called Rapture? And a man's cologne called Rugger, or am I imagining that?

Yes, it was! I remember most of those names, but not Birds of Paradise. Wasn't there one called Rapture? And a man's cologne called Rugger, or am I imagining that?
Yes Rapture was another. Can't remember Rugger, there might have been but my Dad only ever wore Old Spice! There was also a cream pot called Somewhere. They also did all the fragrances in lovely talc dusting bowls but unfortunately they were a bit pricey for us!

Not long ago my cousin was telling me about the starlings (she worked in the Council House) and how wonderful it was. She was under the impression that they were culled to get rid of the nuisance. Shame.

Wonderful video Pedrocut, I love that part of the coast. I understand that the Somerset levels also experience the same thing.

Only just come across this thread, lots of nostalgia! Cliff Mitchelmore and Jean Metcalfe were certainly a feature of Sunday lunch times.

Freeze dried Surprise peas.Just seen these and reminded me of the ones made by bachelors. Seems they still have their own version in NZ

Attachments

• 20180216_142459.jpg
    20180216_142459.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
It's really interesting to read everyone's memories of the 1950s/60s. I too look back with nostalgia on the 1950s, but for me I think time has clouded over what was really going on in my family home. Not sure whether this was how it was for others, but my 1950s were a bit odd. My dad found it difficult to show affection. Don't really know why, maybe it was generally how men were or maybe it was because of his WW2 experiences.

Or maybe my dad was just very old-fashioned and didn't see the need for showing affection or for frivolous spending. From memory he never bought us anything. My mum put it down to him being 'tight' as she called it. But maybe he was careful and thrifty. He wasn't short of money by any means. But I suppose, because he'd provided the roof over our heads, he thought his job was done. At the time, I simply thought this was typical of most other families. Was this the same for others ?

Whereas my mum was the complete opposite. She was a very caring mum who worked exceptionally hard all her life. She went out of her way to get us everything she could. I don't ever remember going without, far from it. She was definitely part of the newer movement of working women. And whether by choice or by need, she certainly enjoyed what she did and moved wholeheartedly into the 1960s.

Needless to say, my mum struck out for independence and they eventually divorced. This was a very unpleasant process in the 1970s. But in time she found her independence.

Shall now replace my rose-tinted specs !!!

Viv.

It's really interesting to read everyone's memories of the 1950s/60s. I too look back with nostalgia on the 1950s, but for me I think time has clouded over what was really going on in my family home. Not sure whether this was how it was for others, but my 1950s were a bit odd. My dad found it difficult to show affection. Don't really know why, maybe it was generally how men were or maybe it was because of his WW2 experiences.

Or maybe my dad was just very old-fashioned and didn't see the need for showing affection or for frivolous spending. From memory he never bought us anything. My mum put it down to him being 'tight' as she called it. But maybe he was careful and thrifty. He wasn't short of money by any means. But I suppose, because he'd provided the roof over our heads, he thought his job was done. At the time, I simply thought this was typical of most other families. Was this the same for others ?

Whereas my mum was the complete opposite. She was a very caring mum who worked exceptionally hard all her life. She went out of her way to get us everything she could. I don't ever remember going without, far from it. She was definitely part of the newer movement of working women. And whether by choice or by need, she certainly enjoyed what she did and moved wholeheartedly into the 1960s.

Anyway, it certainly made the person I am today. Viv.

Hello, Viv, yes, I also grew up through the 50s with a somewhat cold father and a warm mother. I think there was a definite problem in those days with men showing emotion. Things seem to have improved a bit nowadays, anyway.

Regards, Ray T

Hi Ray. So I'm not alone ! It certainly changed how I raised my own family. I was determined to create a warm and caring family for my own children. And hopefully I haven't made any major mistakes along the way. Viv.

Hello Viv. My Mother and Father divorced when I was six months old so my Mother had a tough time bringing my sister and myself up. Fortunately my Father was a partner in a Scientific instrument manufacturing company so the family house was part of my Mothers settlement. I never realised that money was extremely tight until I had to jump from 2nd year to 4th year at School as my Mother found it extremely difficult to keep a growing lad, so off to work at 14 was the order of the day. To be honest leaving School was the happiest day of my life.

I had a very "hands on" father, which is odd because he hadn't known his own. He had a couple of uncles who were role models, I think, and a grandfather. One of the uncles taught him to play the piano.

Hello Viv. My Mother and Father divorced when I was six months old so my Mother had a tough time bringing my sister and myself up. Fortunately my Father was a partner in a Scientific instrument manufacturing company so the family house was part of my Mothers settlement. I never realised that money was extremely tight until I had to jump from 2nd year to 4th year at School as my Mother found it extremely difficult to keep a growing lad, so off to work at 14 was the order of the day. To be honest leaving School was the happiest day of my life.

My childhood at home was OK, my upbringing was a bit strict but there was no harm in that.
The trouble with my bit of the 50s was that my schoolteachers were allowed to batter us kids to their heart's content. Some of them should have been jailed for their cruelty but it's too late for that now.
Leaving school was one of the happiest days of my life too.

My childhood at home was OK, my upbringing was a bit strict but there was no harm in that.
The trouble with my bit of the 50s was that my schoolteachers were allowed to batter us kids to their heart's content. Some of them should have been jailed for their cruelty but it's too late for that now.
Leaving school was one of the happiest days of my life too.
My Dad never showed affection but i still loved him. Mom on the other hand spoilt me rotten, as i was the youngest ( I did have a younger sister but she died ) And i agree with maypole baz about teachers. Some were good & others were downright nasty. The headmaster at my school was really nasty, he would turn you around & knee you up the backside. I told my uncle ( who was recently back from the Korean war ) & he went down to the school & gave the headmaster a taste of his own medicine, but he still abused the kids for any slightest thing. I hope he`s rotting in hell.

Back