• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Slade Road Service Garage

Austin K2

master brummie
This picture was taken in August 1958.
I can remember the date clearly because had just been demobbed from the army in June after National Service and went back to my old job at Slade Road Service Station, Slade Road, Erdington.
Stayed on for another year after this then changed to a driving job at Nocks Bricks.
I can name all the people in the picture if anyone thinks they may know them.
Happy days.
img084.jpg

Nick,
The chap in the picture we knew as VINCE, where he went after leaving Slade Garage I have no idea.
I do know that he drove a big American car.

This picture was taken in August 1958.
I can remember the date clearly because had just been demobbed from the army in June after National Service and went back to my old job at Slade Road Service Station, Slade Road, Erdington.
Stayed on for another year after this then changed to a driving job at Nocks Bricks.
I can name all the people in the picture if anyone thinks they may know them.
Happy days.
View attachment 78668

What is the name of the boy in the Stockand Green school blazer?

Hi Zambodini,I wonder if you have the wrong garage ,the young boy in the picture is the son of Harry Bonner who owned and ran with his brothers ,Slade Road Garage,Slade Road ,opposite the prefabs not Stockland garage at Stockland Green ,who ran a fleet of coaches .
Graham

Has anyone any connection with SLADE ROAD SERVICE GARAGE?, Slade Road, Erdington.
I was there between 1952 and 1956 when I started my National Service, then went back there 1958/59 when I moved on.
Would love to catch up with anyone who worked there at that time.

Only as far as it has been a garage my entire lifetime. Moble if I recall correctly.

Is that the one on the right between Stockland Green and the island - I can't think of another? We get our MOT's done there.

Yes, not far down from Fentham Road, opposite to the old prefabs. It was Dockers MOT station for years. If you had a clapped out car, tek it to Dockers for an MOT

Has anyone any connection with SLADE ROAD SERVICE GARAGE?, Slade Road, Erdington.
I was there between 1952 and 1956 when I started my National Service, then went back there 1958/59 when I moved on.
Would love to catch up with anyone who worked there at that time.

No Connection with the garage in fact I know nothing about it, but is this the garage in question a little before your time I would imagine?

Erdington Sothern Service Stn Slade Rd.jpg

Austin - I have transferred your photo and relevant posts from another thread to this thread. See earlier posts. Great group photo. Viv.

Different building now but I use this place for my repairs, now called Marsh Lane Autos.

Last edited:
Dockers MoT was in the long white windowless building to the right of the buildings in the photo in Post 17. When I worked at Foseco International on Long Acre anyone there who had a dodgy car that needed an MoT would take it to Docker's, and if they failed it then you knew it was fit only for scrap. I had an ancient Vauxhall Viva that had so many things wrong with it I lost count, but Docker's passed it. Probably irresponsible, but compared with todat MoT's were pretty basic back then. If I remember correctly Dockers only did MoT's, not repairs.

G

Still do MOTs there and nothing gets passed them now. They failed me for an illegal number plate one year.

Back