• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Various street pics

Bliley Stitched you have lived a varied life. The weird thing I must have been at or about the same place as you at some time.
It's a bit of a worry !
Cheers Tim

hello Tim, I took a course and passed the test to become a tourist guide when I decided to become a Birmingham Hackney Carriage driver. I assumed it may help to earn money by reducing the time spent waiting on ranks or putting up with drunks.
It paid off and I was very happy doing it.

Post 332 is, I believe Hardings Bakery. There are many references on the Forum to Hardings in quite a few threads.
13132-cc91c140ff8418818ae09f681195ee9c.jpg

I think the photographer is standing just up from Great Charles Street, looking towards Colmore Row. Cornwall Street on the left, followed by Edmund Street

I meant to comment on post #316 and have only just got round to it. You can see the hi-rise flats in the background on the Lyndhurst but I can't remember exactly when this estate was built. Early 1960's is the nearest I can say so 1964 is about right. I would really like to see a picture of the buildings directly opposite to the library. I'm racking my brains to remember what was there before Blockbusters (now a gym).

Radiorails, your post #317 queries the green and part of it is still there only much altered. I'm pretty sure there was a patch of grass but although I go there quite often to visit the library I can't be absolutely sure (how sad is that?) They also put a large stone/concrete ball fountain there but some wag filled it with washing up liquid and the powers that be turned it off after the bubbles filled the surrounding area. They also installed stone benches which look quite attractive.

Thank you Lady P for your comment. Sadly the replacement of grass areas by concrete or paving is all too frequent all over the UK now.
At least the Green at Bournville, where I often spent a while studying or simply watching the world go by (usually with a focus on pretty girls), is still there to be enjoyed.

Alan, Erdington Green was never a patch on the one at Kings Norton. As you say, still lovely after all this time and they have managed to retain many wonderful buildings too. I think there was more money around Kings Norton (from my research into family history) than our neck of the woods as the parish church in Erdington wasn't built until the 1800's. I believe St Nicholas is Grade 1 listed.

Of course Bournville = Cadbury and vice versa so I am sure that is why that suburb of the city is still something of England's green and pleasant land. I fondly remember the place even though I was only there for scholastic reasons. Incidentally the carillon at Bournville is rather splendid and must rank as one of the memorable features for anyone visiting the place and hearing the bells.
https://www.bournvillecarillon.co.uk/carillon

I think it was as much a matter of age as anything. Kings norton was a very old village compared to Erdington. though admittedly in a more affluent area.

Moat Row..jpg
Two Cafes in Moat Row, both used to open at 5am to serve the early market workers.

View attachment 121006
Whereabouts on Lode Lane would this be.
I thought this was at the junction with Warwick Road. Lode Lane being the road heading into the distance and the pub being what is now O'Neills (formerly the Barley Mow). The white house on the right is Quinet House.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_12-47-49.png
    upload_2017-12-22_12-47-49.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Back