• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

W

Wendy

Silver_Blades.jpg
Here's a photo of me and some friends at the Milk Bar in Silver Blades about 1970.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Moma p That brings back some good memories. I used to go there five times a week in the late 70's,good exersise too.

Hello and welcome Mark. Oh dear now I am upset what a sad state it is in now. I had forgotten quite what the stage looked like but your photo's have at least reminded me. When did it close do you know?

It's such a sad site for me as we had some great times there. I do appreciate the photo's though. Would it be ok if I download a couple. Wendy.

Yes please Mark, Rod can always delete them later so it won't clog up the site. Thanks Wendy.

I have just seen the Pics of Silver Blades, BIRMINGHAM THE SECOND CITY ! you should be ashamed.
SOLIHULL, NOTTINGHAM, MANCHESTER,TELFORD,COVENTY even little TAMWORTH & BRIDGTOWN Have ice rings to be proud of.
What is it that the good fathers of our great city cannot provied for the skaters (young & old a like) who have to travel to follow & take part in Ice Hockey/Speed Skating or just keeping up general fitness.
Come on BIRMINGHAM GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER & LETS HAVE A RINK TO BE PROUD OF NOT JUST A CHRISTMAS TEMP; ONE EITHER.
Very unhappy ASTON

Sorry to double post.

Would like to credit the original photos to the people on the 28 days forum

:angel: How sad to see it like that! We used to go from when it first opened as I've said before.

Pom :angel:

Sad photos I had one taken in the booth. I will have to try and find it.

I agree how sad it is to see pictures of the rink, I had so much fun there back when I was at school....... Thanks muchly for putting the link to the pictures, and to the folks on 28 days.

Oh how sad to see Silver Blades looking like that. I have so many wonderful memories of the place in the late 60's & early 70's. I used to skate there several times a week, Sunday mornings, Tues & Thurs evenings & some Weds mornings during the school holidays. Used to have lessons there.......fond memories of lots of wonderful times.

Silver Blades

As teenagers we used to go several times a month to the Silver Blades, but only one of the gang could skate so he would pull us around the ice ring until someone fell, then we went to the bar! We saw many now famous groups play there over the years.If we missed the last bus we had to walk back to Billesley,this happened more times then not! Happy Days, shame it came to end its days like this..........

Oh my goodness what a shock :( I spent most of my teenage years at this ice rink and I'm really saddened to see how its ended up. I went out with one of the red coat stewards - I think his name was John Reader from Kings Norton (!) I thought I was the bees knees as when the Saturday and Sunday morning sessions were over I used to stay behind until the evening session. I've had many 'snogs' around the outside of the rink :D - I'd forgotten. I did used to get myself into a lot of trouble at home with my mom as I kept leaving right at the end and missed the 55 bus home. Sometimes I used to catch the 14 to Lea Village and walk it home across the Bailey Bridge To get to the bus stop I used to walk from the rink across town through the Bull Ring, past King Kong and down to the the Law Courts. God I wouldn't do that now, and I think I would go ballistic if any of my children ever even thought of doing this. Sign of the times I suppose, but sad nevertheless.

I have just seen the Pics of Silver Blades, BIRMINGHAM THE SECOND CITY ! you should be ashamed.
SOLIHULL, NOTTINGHAM, MANCHESTER,TELFORD,COVENTY even little TAMWORTH & BRIDGTOWN Have ice rings to be proud of.
What is it that the good fathers of our great city cannot provied for the skaters (young & old a like) who have to travel to follow & take part in Ice Hockey/Speed Skating or just keeping up general fitness.
Come on BIRMINGHAM GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER & LETS HAVE A RINK TO BE PROUD OF NOT JUST A CHRISTMAS TEMP; ONE EITHER.
Very unhappy ASTON

You'll be glad to hear that there is one being proposed as part of a development very close to the markets. It has previously been refused by the council due to concerns over the design and because they were worried about residents complaining about the noise coming from the markets (weak excuse in my eyes).

Hi everyone had some amazing times at the Blades met the wife there asked her out on those steps 1976 we are still here 2 girls + = recent Grandaughter. Ronnie Cox,Bantock,Woko,and the Wheelers lane crowd, Jane (redcoat);) Linda her sister ahhh good memories thanks for the pics markb:)

It saddens me to see the old place like this, I used to be a regular at solihull ice rink, and a member of the speed skating club there, and there used to be a great friendly rivalry between the two places, it nearly brought a tear to my eye to see these photos. I remember my last visit to the silver blades ice rink, enviromental health had closed down the cafeteria and I remember thinking "how has it come to this, why can't somebody do something."

Back