• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Here's a photo of The Travellers Rest Bristol Road, Northfield been gone for about 2 years, to make way for the Northfield by-pass.

(Lost photo replaced)
travellers rest.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
scratch another one the The Beeches Pub at Frankley Beeches just got planning permission to put 15 houses there:( the Dingle next???

Last edited:
There used to be a civil engineers railway depot next door or near by to the Eagle and tun, New Canal Street depot, the guy in the bottom right hand corner was one of the workers, I remember the story was that UB40 gave them loads of free stuff after the album was released. he just wanted a good pint! I think the drugs and alcohol policy on the railway stopped a lot of trade at these places, (All for the good and safety of the public and staff etc of cause) an example of the amount of trade that used to take place in these pubs can be seen on Station Street in the town with one bar in the Comfort Inn being renamed in the past platform 13!

The Kings Highway in Quinton is now as level as a snooker table and The Raven in Weoly Castle has been reduced to a pile of rubble.

Saw the demolition in progress today coming from the Fish Market. The pub was 'The Royal George'.

5b18425c9d90b100370341527abe138c.jpg

Last edited:
I just had a look at the Closed Pubs website....depressing, to say the least. Especially boozers I knew and loved around Aston, Newtown and Birchfield. Killed off no doubt by the unwillingness of people to drink and drive (and quite right, too) and the cheap drink available in supermarkets and off-licences for home consumption. I still do like a drinkie or three, but I haven't had a proper pub 'session' for years, as the remaining pubs within walking-distance of my house don't appeal to me. Terrible maybe to admit, but a favourite pastime (if you can call it that) in my late teens was to attempt to have a half-pint in every pub along Summer Lane and Alma Street, starting at The Salutation and trying, at least, to get as far as Six Ways. Never made it. Happy days....

G

I have made quite a few contributions to the Lost Pubs site, the Birmingham section that is. The site keeps Glen very busy I would imagine, and is a very ambitious project and I am just waiting for him to catch up before sending him the next districts set of images.

There were works by poets other than Byron entitled Mazeppa, and there were similarly-named musical pieces by several composers, including one by Liszt. My dad used to mention the Mazeppa pub in Aston, so I assume he used it, possibly before the war. As has been said, a strange name for a pub!

G

There was an opera also called Mazeppa, which was performed in Birmingham at least once at the Prince of Wales. Also a fast coach from Hereford to London and a racehorse. There was another pub in Navigation st also named Mazeppa.

Mazeppa Birm J.19.4.1856.jpg mazeppa coach.Birm J 4.3.1837.jpg mazeppa opera Birm post 16.5.1865.jpg

I just had a look at the Closed Pubs website....depressing, to say the least. Especially boozers I knew and loved around Aston, Newtown and Birchfield. Killed off no doubt by the unwillingness of people to drink and drive (and quite right, too) and the cheap drink available in supermarkets and off-licences for home consumption. I still do like a drinkie or three, but I haven't had a proper pub 'session' for years, as the remaining pubs within walking-distance of my house don't appeal to me. Terrible maybe to admit, but a favourite pastime (if you can call it that) in my late teens was to attempt to have a half-pint in every pub along Summer Lane and Alma Street, starting at The Salutation and trying, at least, to get as far as Six Ways. Never made it. Happy days....

G
Did you check out the Geach and the Woodman?
Dave A

I suppose if the Pub as little custom and is losing money the owner has no choice but to close down. When I was young Pubs were far more frequented than the are now, possibly the no smoking rule/law discourages some, then there is the comparative cheap beer and spirits from the supermarkets for home consumption and as Chris mentioned there is more violence in Pubs now than there was - it all adds up. Eric

Back