• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

Phil,

I don't know this area at all well - probably been along this particular road twice in my life - but those bus shelters gave us kids hours of free fun on their crossbars! Probably need to take out a subscription to a gym to get the same thing nowadays. And that's a Vauxhall Cresta car in front of the Morris Minor on the left, if I'm not mistaken. Full of atmosphere that old picture, but the second one is a bit soulless, I'm afraid.

Maurice
Maurice
The Vauxhall is a Velox, I understand they were prone to rust problems, my father in law stopped me buying one when my Standard Vanguard gave up the ghost, I had bought it for £30.00
and sold for £15.00 in part exchange not for the Velox but for a Jowett Javelin, which cost £45.00, £30.00 after the part ex. That was in 1965, the Jowett was a 1949 model.
Bob

Castalla,

You could start at your local library (if you are lucky enough to still have one) look through the local history shelf. Or just search on Google. Though this forum has a pretty extensive photo library now and most searches will just bring you back here.

Yes, certainly not a BCT plate, Alan. What are those two tall structures outside the Beaufort?

Maurice

They looks as though they might be floodlights for the front of the cinema Maurice, I thought at first maybe police phones but they're to tall and why two.

The Cattell Rd / Coventry Rd junction in 1934 and behind the trolleybus is a pub.
index.php

forum image from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ur-old-street-pics.41947/page-116#post-601348
A similar (almost) today's view is shown below ... the pub has gone.
Cattell_Rd.JPG

Last edited:
They say the recent closures in the USA and elsewhere will not affect the UK, Jim, but the toy trade is very seasonal and has taken a hell of a hammering from online sellers like Amazon, so I wouldn't be surprised if you turn out to be right.

Maurice

New St - Corporation St in the 1950s
index.php

Now ... trees, tramlines, no vehicle traffic, only one person not wearing jeans, and buildings survive ...
NewSt.JPG

Keep quiet Maurice, they may think about cutting it down! I am sure it is welcome in a rain shower or strong sunshine. :D

Banjo

The pub on the junction behind the tram was the Greenway Arms and the pub on the right on the corner of Herbert Road was the Regent Park Tavern.

Two pics, one from the 1970s and the other now. Folks in the early pic were getting used to new style 'Pay As You Enter' buses like the one turning into Corporation Street but probably never thought that the Midland Bank would be taken over by a company from Hong Kong. They might have smiled if told that a company with an half eaten apple as it's trademark would later move into the building. Would they have expected trams to make a come back but maybe they had thought of wearing sunglasses on the top their of heads !
Pic 1 ... from the Birmingham Buses thread post#1197
Buses.jpg

Pic2
Pic7.JPG

Last edited:
Looking along Bristol Road at Selly Oak with Chapel Lane on the left and the Plough & Harrow on the corner.
SellyOak.jpg

Today's view ....
ChapelLaneSellyOak.JPG

Back