• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day my Mother said "I'll squatty veeny over here then".
I think it means to keep out of the way and I've never heard it said outside Brum.
I'm reminded of my late Dad. When we were kids he'd shout abuse at the radio when the news was on. One of his favourites, reserved for criminals was "Give 'em a good Tankin' "(got to be one from WW1, that). Another was "Ar? Goo an' tell the Marines".
No wonder I grew up bewildered !

The other day my Mother said "I'll squatty veeny over here then".
I think it means to keep out of the way and I've never heard it said outside Brum.
I'm reminded of my late Dad. When we were kids he'd shout abuse at the radio when the news was on. One of his favourites, reserved for criminals was "Give 'em a good Tankin' "(got to be one from WW1, that). Another was "Ar? Goo an' tell the Marines".
No wonder I grew up bewildered !
l remember my mother saying "he needs a good tanking", referring to anyone who needed a good hiding ..same thing...Brenda

Bless you Brenda !
I have NEVER encountered anyone, anywhere, who has heard that saying.
(My Dad was from Winson Green).

I wonder who Simon and O'Grady were?
I just remembered an old skipping rhyme well a bit of it. I never liked it. To London Bridge is Falling Down.
Now he's only got one eye
got one eye, got one eye,
Now he's only got one eye
Four blind fathers

count me in as well...our mom and dad used to say he/she needs a good tanking

lyn
You will tell me off but how I was shouted at was you need a good axxx tankin'.
I never got one though!
Or a good leatherin or latherin
But crying was bletherin

When asking my Mom (What have we got to eat), she would say !! SOME OF THAT TILL THE OTHERS DONE!!
I posted this on another thread a few days ago, but I think it's more appropriate here :
When asked what was for dinner, my Mum frequently replied "Chump handles and chair knobs!". I've never heard it used by anyone else. She had a mother (of Irish descent) from Hockley and a father from Lye, in the Black Country.

Meanwhile, my Grandfather would often send me with a jug and money to "The Outdoor". Everywhere else I've lived, other than Birmingham, it is known as the "Off Licence" or "Off Sales".

The same grandfather always mended his own boots and called it "Doin' a bit of snobbin'.

Does anyone have any idea where the saying "on the treacle stick" comes from. I think it is something to do with being a scrounger.

Glad you found the link of interest Jimbo. I never heard that expression but I can tell you where some treacle mines, near Torquay, are. :D

Today, I used the expression that I had blood "like fish'n'chip shop vinegar" (meaning like weak vinegar - I'm always cold)- no-one had ever heard it (!?). I am sure I didn't make it up ....anyone?

My dad used to say that, I’ve never heard anyone else say it.
If I did something clumsy he’d call me “a big footed amoo”, what’s one of them?
I've never heard of that expression but it sounds like something the Indian Army would have said and later would've been used in WW1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back