• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lea Village Boys Secondary Modern School

dereklcg

master brummie
lea village secondary modern.
i have photo of me in my school blazer
for lea village if it helps?
regards dereklcg

Lea Village infants/ junior/seniors sorry no badge.

Derek you must have been posh if you had a blazer LOL

DEREKLCG; I wonder if you know that BIG RON ATKINSON went to Lea Village and played football for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
liberty10, Ron`s younger brother Graham also was at the school he was said to be a better footballer than Ron and played at Oxford Utd with Ron but had a car accident and had to give up playing. Len.

Lea Village Secondary Modern Boys School, I attended Lea Village School from 1947 to 1957, but look it up on the internet and it appears it never existed, I recently joined facebook and when i entered the school i attended i was informed it was not valid ? The only school they seem to accept is Lea Village " Mirfield " School which is NOT the school i attended. I also still have the school badge from my old blazer plus copies of the school magazine called " The Leader " So where are all the the boys that attended LEA VILLAGE SECONDARY MODERN BOYS SCHOOL ? p.s There was also a girls school.

I looked on Freinds Reunited & there seems to be boys on the Lea Village page. They referreed to the "Leader mag" so it must be your schoolView attachment 93580 mate! Have a look. Coppied a picture off Friends attached.

Attachments

• class-3a-with-mr-walters.jpg
    class-3a-with-mr-walters.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 79
a t Dixon there certainly was Lea Village Boys School and next door was the girls school. My husband was at the boys and I was at the girls about the same time as you. On the FB page some time back somebody put pictures on for this school as it is now being demolished.

This photo features class 2a at Lea Village Boys' school in about 1966. The form teacher was Mr.Walters, who taught P.E. I am second row down on the Left. Ron Gurney, who became a lifelong friend of mine until his death in 2013, is on the extreme Right on the top row. Other names I remember are John Evans (third row down on the Left) who I've spoken to on the 'phone fairly recently, and Stan Lane (second from the Right, second row down). I remember that the Headmaster at the time was Mr.Birch. The deputy Head was Mr.Evans, who taught English. Teachers I can recall are: Mr.Macfarlane (Maths), Mr. Bowling (Art), Mr.Keith Archer (Music).

Attachments

• Class 2a at Lea Village Boys' (1966).jpg
    Class 2a at Lea Village Boys' (1966).jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 46
This photo features class 2a at Lea Village Boys' school in about 1966. The form teacher was Mr.Walters, who taught P.E. I am second row down on the Left. Ron Gurney, who became a lifelong friend of mine until his death in 2013, is on the extreme Right on the top row. Other names I remember are John Evans (third row down on the Left) who I've spoken to on the 'phone fairly recently, and Stan Lane (second from the Right, second row down). I remember that the Headmaster at the time was Mr.Birch. The deputy Head was Mr.Evans, who taught English. Teachers I can recall are: Mr.Macfarlane (Maths), Mr. Bowling (Art), Mr.Keith Archer (Music).

Attachments

• Class 2a at Lea Village Boys' (1966).jpg
    Class 2a at Lea Village Boys' (1966).jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 17
Was Mr Mcfarlane still there in 66 he was into sport and taught me to do the shot put .

Last edited:
Yes, Mr. Mcfarlane was there in 1966. I think he was in his middle to late 50's at that time, and was our maths teacher - very kind and patient.

As it happens, I was there at the time the boys and girls schools merged into one mixed school in September 1966. The "Pig Club" had long-finished by that time, but I remember that year's final edition of the boys school magazine "The Leader". That edition had many ex-teachers and pupils talking about many past things that happened at the school, including the "Pig Club". As far as I remember, the magazine articles said that the club had been started not long after the war, with the kids and staff looking after the pigs in the school grounds - I'm sure you know a lot more about this than me! From previous comments you've made, it sounds as if you left school in the mid - 50's when the club was still going. I'm guessing it didn't carry on much longer after that.

Phil many thanks for your reply.From the time I became treasurer I loved it and did all the other kids .We did gardening up the back of Mirfield can't remember who took that.But everyone was interested.The teachers at the time were good .Mr Tickell woodwork ,Mr Toze Metalwork, Mr Cowell !Headmaster and Mr Ward Music and religion.The minds gone blank on the others but they were all good teachers.keep well Ed

I was there from1959 till 1964 and I remember ;
Mr Garlick (Eng Drg) Mr Morris (PE) Mr Adair (History)
I am still in regular contact with John Newley & Keith Osbourne.
Others I have met since school are : Brian Lomas,Terry Partridge,Alan Bull,David Barrington, Arthur Watts.
I also remember Malcolm Kendal, Paul West, John Henson.

I remember we called him “Harry Adair” for some reason. I think he was of German descent and lived on Burnley Lane at some time. Do you remember any of my classmates ?

Back