• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This picture is from a Birmingham Street in September 1969. Allegedly the three local MPs are meeting the managers of the Social Security Offices. I reckon they are on their way for a game of bowls in Pype Hayes.

Answers in thumbnail.

91D7F404-37F1-482B-99A2-D2DA99585A16.jpeg 82B05E8A-4F69-4803-97B2-7226B37D59FD.jpeg

We could have some fun with this one, Enoch Powell seems to be centre back, Eric Morecombe is next to Harold, but why will no one rush to the aid of the young lady seemingly behind abducted by a much older man just behind Eric and I am trying to remember the name of the Tory minister on the left hand side Ian something...Gow comes to mind but I think I could be wrong. However all over late forties early fifties and quite a few still wearing hats.

Bob
Is it a sign of getting old, I said late forties early fifties and the card clearly says 1970!!!!DUH. However all of the characters in the picture have obviously come straight from the late forties/early fifties as they are all dressed like my Dad....not the women of course. Macs, hats and suits when did we all start wearing jeans and trainers?

Bob

Someone has just arrived and looks on from behind the hedge. Only the bloke on the veranda wearing the white mac has spotted her ...
PM_Bowls.jpg

Someone has just arrived and looks on from behind the hedge. Only the bloke on the veranda wearing the white mac has spotted her ...
View attachment 118856
That`s Maggie Thatcher looking over the hedge. She`s just spotted Ringo walking down the steps. Jimmy Cagney in his best white sweater striding toward the clubhouse, "outa my way you dirty rats".

They've had a hard day in the office and just want to go home but is that No 21 bus going to stop for them?
1970sBusQueue.jpg

Hi Bob,
I was searching for ladies in bus queues reference Rowan's request below and Google produced that pic. I have tried to work out where it's location was to see what large offices or other premises were around there, but not been successful yet ...
Hi everyone,
There was a photograph of two ladies standing at a bus stop in the forum but sadly I can't remember where. It was a large photo taken about 1950s.
I don't know where to start looking. I was hoping it was in Nechells/ Alum Rock area and I think they were off to town.
I know it a stab in the dark but I am hoping :)
Many thanks xx
oldmohawk

OldMohawk, if you ignore the distractions it looks like Harborne Road Edgbaston just before the junction of Highfield Road. Birmingham Chamber of Commerce was sited near to the junction as well as many large houses that were converted to office use.

Thanks Dave, it looks like it could be there. During my search regarding Rowan's query, Google put up another pic of a queue at a bus stop. Fashions have changed, looks later in the 1970s, and I'm trying to find out the location of this pic.
Late70sbusqueue.JPG

Never mind the location more pictures...of buses, oddly enough is the first picture with the odd female in that I may have passed comment on, the drivers ability to stop, how smart the bus looked, the cleanliness of the bus stop sign anywhere near Calthorpe Road? If it is they could have come from Forward Trust, because their Head Office was there and I worked for them in Plymouth.
Bob

A nostalgic impression of 1970s New St/Corporation St ... memories of young couples showing their names on car windscreens. Ken speeds away from the lights in his Cortina with Sue in the passenger seat. Ken might be thinking about having some 'go-faster' stripes on the bonnet and roof of his rather bright car, while Sue could be thinking about engagement rings she had spotted in Perry Greaves while they were waiting at the lights ...

Ken_Sue_Colour1 mod.jpg

Last edited:
A nostalgic impression of 1970s New St/Corporation St ... memories of young couples showing their names on car windscreens. Ken speeds away from the lights in his Cortina with Sue in the passenger seat. Ken might be thinking about having some 'go-faster' stripes on the bonnet and roof of his rather bright car, while Sue could be thinking about engagement rings she had spotted in Perry Greaves while they were waiting at the lights ...
View attachment 119068
Got the bus number this time OM, thanks, good picture
Bob

Never mind the location more pictures...of buses, oddly enough is the first picture with the odd female in that I may have passed comment on, the drivers ability to stop, how smart the bus looked, the cleanliness of the bus stop sign anywhere near Calthorpe Road? If it is they could have come from Forward Trust, because their Head Office was there and I worked for them in Plymouth.
Bob

Calthorpe Road is off the picture to the right. Forward Trust (now HSBC) was about 50 yards along the road. I worked at Shell-Mex & BP and we shared the office block with Forward Trust. HSBC now have the whole building mainly for their Asset Finance business.

In those day the first bus stop which is shown here was for the no. 7 Portland Road bus. Many of the passengers at this stop would get the bus to the city boundary where they would meet Midland Red/West Bromwich Corporation service 252 which would take them on to Smethwick.

I think Tube Investments (TI) had offices to the right of picture in post #2332. It was the large building now occupied by the Marriott hotel. I'm not sure if TI occupied the building at the time of the photo, I know they were there late 70's to early 80's if memory serves me correct. Also, Auchinleck House (in the background right), I seem to remember having something to do with the National Coal Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back