• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dunlop

Hello Eric, "The Black Hole" was a mill of some sort known by the workers as The Black Ole.
I looked back in the thread "Dunlop Help" an found the info there.

It's just struck me that 'Dunlop' is an unusual name. Is it an amalgamation of two words or names ? Viv.

The Fire Brigade at Fort Dunlop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170806-232057.jpg
    Screenshot_20170806-232057.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20170709-221236.jpg
    Screenshot_20170709-221236.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 89
Great photos Aggie. At first I thought the bike was attached to the cart but surely the cart was pulled by a horse ? Viv

No horses but the cart would have, presumably, been towed behind a vehicle. As his is a work brigade they had some methods of transportation of equipment not seen with a town or city fire brigade. It is possible to have been hauled by a couple of men, after all most firefighters were fit and used to running. Extra hoses are stored on the cart. The cycle carries a portable extinguisher and maybe was the first aid which may well have arrived before the works fire engine this would be dependant on how the fire brigade was structured. Many works brigades had firefighters who worked on the factory and responded to the fire station when needed. The man at the desk is most likely the brigade fire chief and that was his full time job.
There always be an attendance, with back up if needed, from the local municipal or county fire brigade - in this case The City of Birmingham.

iu

Year : 1965
Livery : Dunlop works ambulance
Engine : 4 cylinder 2.2litre Automatic Morris LD
Coachbuilder: Herbert Lomas
Information : A Dunlop Factory Works Ambulance

Photo from Ambulance Heritage Society
1478983_orig.png

Can we have the bus history as well please and what is it doing at New Street station?
Bob
The following link shows what Fort Dunlop has become since closing as a tyre manufacturer;
https://fortdunlop.com/about-fort-dunlop/
I can only assume that the bus was owned by or contracted to Fort Dunlop to get shoppers out of the city to their centre.
This is much the same as shopper special buses than run to out of town superstores etc.

The following link shows what Fort Dunlop has become since closing as a tyre manufacturer;
https://fortdunlop.com/about-fort-dunlop/
I can only assume that the bus was owned by or contracted to Fort Dunlop to get shoppers out of the city to their centre.
This is much the same as shopper special buses than run to out of town superstores etc.
London Transport Leyland Olympian series, but identified by Volvo code, fleet number was NV81.
Bob

Dunlops Tyre Company

I believe Dunlop Tyre factory was opened first in Birmingham in Rocky Lane, Aston and when Fort Dunlops was built, some of the workers from Aston were initially taken to the Fort by canal barge as the buses/trams stopped at Salford Bridge. Does anyone out there know anything about this? i would be extremely grateful for approx dates etc. Thanks a lot.
Cheers - Benabby

My grandfather, William Sawyer, was stationery buyer at Fort Dunlop before his death in 1947. An obituary notice, saying how much he was liked, appeared in the Dunlop magazine. I know he lived in Sutton Street, Aston, and he travelled to work on a canal barge, so this must have been in the 1920s - he moved to Wylde Green c.1930.

In the mid 1960s, I worked for an Erdington staff agency which sent staff to the Dunlop on a regular basis. I remember temping in the Accounts Department where the staff liked to complete the daily crosswords before they started work, and then in Base Stores, which involved a long walk to the far side of the site.

Back