• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tubes Limited

IMG_2299.JPG Outside the entrance of 5 bay towards 4 bay where the Lamberton and Number 5 Ajax
once stood

Last edited:
Lovely to see some pics of the old forge again. Thanks Punch. I visited there back in 2008 (i think) and also took some pics inside. Unfortunately then, there weren't any furnaces left, but i did get some shots of one of the overhead cranes, and 1 or 2 of the outside of the building (what's left). Also the pub opposite. I used to work in the foremans office for 6 years, alongside Bill Antrobus, Don Fell, & quite a few others. Great times i have never forgotten.

Hi John nice to hear from you there doesn't seem to be many people from the forge on this forum.I worked in the forge for 18years I don't know if you can recall me my name is Steve Collingwood I used to be the welder at the top of 2 bay nearest the canal and was a pull bearer
at your brother Jimmy's funeral,that was a very sad time for because we became very good friends when we were put together as Supervisor s over the Gfms ,cold Ajax , Massey hammer and Fielding press. I can remember the day Jimmy finished Tubes he put his crash helmet on and turned to say goodbye and through his visor there was a tear in his eyes,we both couldn't speak
because working in the forge people weren't just work they were friends.
hi steve, yes I do remember you walking up and down 2 bay from the welding shop, harry Bolton asked me if I could weld, said yes but I wasn't qualified. so he put me in the welding shop welding the end of the tubes. that must have been before you started. went back 2 years ago, nothing in there but the foremans office, was just like it was when we left....very strange feeling. hope you and yours have a nice xmas. john.

Hello and welcome Richard. Glad you picked up on the Tubes Ltd thread. Just like you I joined Tubes in 1964 after leaving school. Was an office junior in Production Control (Harry Brough,s dept). I left in 197o, but came back in 1971 in the Forge Deot till 1977 when I moved up here. I too remember the freezing games of table tennis at lunch-times, eventually I played for the works team. I also knew some lads that played for the football team too (although Im going to have to put the thinking cap on to recall their names). And regarding the Boldmere Rd sports club, I spent hours and hours up there, before becoming the club steward when I was only 18, thanks to Ray Cook who virtually ran the club on his own in them days. Nice to hear from someone that actually remembers a lot of the things I do. I hope you enjoy the forum, and will continue to post any more memories of Tubes Ltd. Also, feel free to contact anytime you wish. Cheers, Barry.
Was Boldmere the original sports ground for Tubes, Spent many happy times at Boldmere with my grandson it was excellent junior football

I would like to see all these photos that have been posted, but I can't see anything to click on. There are no thumnails or links. Pleae, somebody, HELP

Lumphammer
Unfortunately some years ago the site was hacked, and this resulted in all the images being lost. Many have been replaced either by the original contributors or by others that had saved the photos, and we still try to replace any missing when we can if informed. unfortunately the ones you are interested in have not yet been replaced. If the original posters see this, then, if they still possess them, possibly they could replace them

Hi Lumphamer, have you spoken with our dear old friend Bazzm whom used to work there in the offices and i also worked there years ago and bazz and myself are in contact with each other for years since we left bazz did go back to the forge as i live in worc i never got back to meet up but bazz as got some old pics you may be intrestested to see , i will contact him tonight and asked him to make contact with you through the forum it may take afew days it all depends on bazz,s shift he does but any way i will tell him what you are looking for okay, my name is Alan and worked the ground floor amongest the old lads and became number i crane driver thanks to stan price suervisor and big bill antrobus if you recall them best wishes Astonian,,

Thanks Astonian, but I just wanted to see the pictures as the only Tubes I know was Tubes Industries at Bromford. I thought if I saw them it might trigger something. TI has long since gone. It brings back memories of train spotting at Bromford Bridge in the early 60's. I think the race course was still there at the time.

hi steve, yes I do remember you walking up and down 2 bay from the welding shop, harry Bolton asked me if I could weld, said yes but I wasn't qualified. so he put me in the welding shop welding the end of the tubes. that must have been before you started. went back 2 years ago, nothing in there but the foremans office, was just like it was when we left....very strange feeling. hope you and yours have a nice xmas. john.
Hi John Sorry it's been so long with a reply but like you been I've having chest infection problems probably due to our working conditions anyway I hope Australia has given you a good life. I moved to Menorca Spain 15 years ago and now I've retired I never have to worry if I set the alarm clock for work .

This is a photo of T.I. Apprentices on a training course at Pype Hayes taken 1958. I am far left second row

Attachments

• BD876EE3-24AE-4509-948E-D62B729D6277.jpeg
    BD876EE3-24AE-4509-948E-D62B729D6277.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 24
John. I've only just come to spend more time on the site, and decided to check the Tubes page, and what a lovely surprise to find those pictures you posted back in 2016. Never seen one of you and big Doug before. Great pictures, and many thanks for putting them up.

View attachment 109971 Photo taken of 2 bay showing number 4 Ajax and furnacePunch
Hello Punch. Sorry it's taken so long, but i have just seen the photos you put up back in Nov 2016. Some great pictures there, so thanks for sharing. I worked in the office in the forge for 6 years, so recall those views very well. Great to see them again. Thanks.

Back