• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

christopher short

Birmingham Post
The school was opened in 1959 and shared the same campus as Stockland Green Secondary Modern and Marsh Hill Girls Grammar School opened in 1960. Edit. A link to Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech is here. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-grammar-tech-school.48205/page-2#post-609775

I was in the first intake which comprised of a first form of 5 classes (11 Plus) and a similar 2nd form (12 plus)
The school and its teachers had a lasting effect on my life and sadly I have lost touch with the many friends I made.
Maybe, just maybe there is someone out there who was in that first intake, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I attended Marsh Hill but I didn't start until 1971 leaving in 1976 at which time it had become a Comprhensive school.

I went to Stockland Green SM 1960-1966. My memories of the Tech were mainly associated with some great football matches between the two schools. I went to primary school with the goalkeeper Christopher Perkins, and my best mate was Tony Games. I also remember a Tech boy (name Mohammed) getting stabbed on the grass between the two schools. Probably 1965 or 6

I was at the girls school from 1962 - 67
I think it opened slightly later than the boys school as there was only a second and third year above us when I started.

I remember our French class going over to the boys school to use the language Laboratory (which I hated!).
The schools also used to do joint end of term plays.

Zambodini, Neil Mohammed was injured in that fight in July 1965. He went on to become head boy and was one of my best friends.

A Sparks, A few boys crossed to the Girls' School for cookery and the girls crossed to the Boys' School for technical drawing.
As well as the plays there were also Gilbert and Sullivan operas

I attended 1968-1974 and the G & S, Shakespeare etc extravaganzas were still (if I remember correctly) going strong and in my opinion could give professional productions a run for their money.

The teachers there were more than teachers. They were educators. Some still wore their gowns, though had stopped wearing their caps. Strict, fair and didn’t need text books to teach their subject.

I was at the girls school from 1962 - 67
I think it opened slightly later than the boys school as there was only a second and third year above us when I started.

I remember our French class going over to the boys school to use the language Laboratory (which I hated!).
The schools also used to do joint end of term plays.

Did you know Christine Haycock?

Zambodini, Neil Mohammed was injured in that fight in July 1965. He went on to become head boy and was one of my best friends.

A Sparks, A few boys crossed to the Girls' School for cookery and the girls crossed to the Boys' School for technical drawing.
As well as the plays there were also Gilbert and Sullivan operas

I remember playing in a cricket match on the Saturday after that fight at Pype Hayes Park for St Marks Boys club, and the boy from Stockland was playing. He was petrified that Mohammed's family (and I think he had some brothers) were coming over to sort him out.

Zambodini - Neil did indeed have an older brother Bob who was even bigger than Neil, he also had some very frightening friends. I recall that Neil sorted it out himself.......

classof67.jpg

Sorrry, just experimenting trying to upload photos. Have tried putting the url in between the img quotes, but the photo doesn't post, just the url. Any help would be appreciated. I have tried registering with the forum's image hosting facility but the same happens, and when I try the video 'how to ppst images' I just get a blank screen. Cheers

Class of '67 Marsh Hill Boys Tech

URL]

What age would the boys be?
I was at Marsh Hill Girls but I left in Summer '67.

Started at Marsh Hill the year it opened - 1959. Remained there through to the sixth form and then left to attend Teachers Training College at Saltley.
Played football, rugby and occasional cricket for school teams.
Alan Roberts. I can remember some names of both students and staff and look back with fond memories.

Attachments

• me faded.jpg
    me faded.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 85
  • rugby0001.jpg
    rugby0001.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 93
Back