• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Down Time

Hi Smudger, that's the place ... in one of my earlier landings I went through the wire fence and probably knocked some tourists over ! ... :rolleyes:

Welcome back all. Seemed like a very long down time this time. Warren, thanks for getting it sorted.

Many of us spend a lot of time on here, whether contributing to, discussing or simply enjoying the site. I hope the message that Warren placed on the error page during the down time was easily accessed by all. And hopefully it reassured members that this was a temporary situation. We'd hate to lose members who might have felt left in the dark.

So please note By pressing 'Home' on the Error Page that appears when the site is offline, Warren's explanation of the problem can be seen. Not everyone may have realised this.

Warren has assured us that should this ever happen again (and hopefully not!) a message will be placed there to explain the situation.

Thanks to all for your patience. And please do continue enjoying our great forum. Viv.

oldMohawk have done that landing a few times, both day and night on my FSX. Smudger, the runway appears short because of the low perspective. Eric

oldMohawk have done that landing a few times, both day and night on my FSX. Smudger, the runway appears short because of the low perspective. Eric
The runway at Skiathos is very short. Planes couldn`t take off with a full load of fuel, so had to land at Thesaloniki to refuel. I`m not sure if that`s still the case with the latest modern aircraft.

Smudger, this was once the problem at Birmingham (BMX) on long haul flight with 747's, had to refuel at places such as Amsterdam, but since the runway extension no problem, even the Airbus 380 as a daily flight to Dubai. Eric

Smudger, this was once the problem at Birmingham (BMX) on long haul flight with 747's, had to refuel at places such as Amsterdam, but since the runway extension no problem, even the Airbus 380 as a daily flight to Dubai. Eric
cookie273uk, I believe you were in the RAF. Did you ever experience any dodgy take off`s or landings. In 1961 i experienced a very dodgy landing at Idlewild airport New York. There were quite a few funny smells by the time we came to a halt! I also did a stint in Air Dispatch which involved some very low flying in a Hastings. Very scary at times.

This year I had a bounced aborted landing going to Lanzarote that was a bit brown trousers time.

I did a night landing Eric,
Three whites and one red at 500yds out show I'm high and too fast but managed a landing some distance down the runway, heavy braking needed but touch down was ok. Had to use GPS to find the airfield.
night.jpg

Smudger, I was in the RAF 1948 to 56 as an aircrew wireless operator and in over 4000 hours of flying had only 2 slight mishaps (1) puncture on landing in a Lancaster in Takoradi, W Africa (Gold Coast now Ghana) 1950, and a hairy landing and take off in a Sunderland flying boat (slightly rough sea) at Singapore going to the aid of a Chinese junk 1954 ( we were on Air Sea rescue duties). You mentioning the Handley Page Hastings, I did a stint on them for troop carrying at Kai Tak Hong Kong in 1953. Happy days, it all seems so unreal now !! Eric

The Hastings was a very uncomfortable aircraft, just bench seats down the side of the aircraft. I can`t remember if they had seat belts or not? We must have had a steel cable running down the middle at around head height that we were hooked up to, otherwise chucking cargo out of door would have been a tad dangerous.. I envy you with your ability to remember so much detail. I can only remember bits & pieces. I decided Air Dispatch was not for me, & applied for a staff car driver`s course which i absolutely loved.

My brother Allen was stationed as a linesman with Royal Signals in Singapore, witnessed an RAF plane crash and burn on the runway, must have been 51/52 ish

Eric G, a little before my time, I was there 1954 and early '55 at RAF Seletar with 205/209 Sqdn Air Sea rescue, there was also RAF Changi and an Australian Air Force camp RAAF Tengah. My late Wife was with me and my daughter was born in Changi Hospital 1955, hard to believe it's over 60 years ago yet still fresh in my mind. Eric

Must admit the recent prolonged down time got me back into flight sims after 10 year layoff so I've bought a Steam card and installed the full FSX.
Landing BHX rwy15 low cloud, murky rainy weather ... loads of dials to watch and buttons to press
bhxils15 (Small).jpg
Kicking up the spray on a very wet runway ... upgrading to a 737-800 jet next week ..
wet15 (Small).jpg

I find that since the downtime it seems getting into and moving around here is like wading through treacle, no problems anywhere else, I also keep getting 'not responding' messages and 'recover the website' pop ups

Everything on the BHF working well and as fast as ever for me using Chrome or even Edge. Perhaps you could try clearing the browser cache or even typing the forum address directly into the browser address bar.

Speed here on a very slow village broadband is as fast as it has ever been, but certain other sites do seem as if the internet is wading in treacle. Certain newspaper sites with their huge pages are certainly sluggish. A wet winter Sunday afternoon here, when the village kids have nothing better to do than play internet games, is really deadly. That's the time to take a nap!

Maurice

I find that since the downtime it seems getting into and moving around here is like wading through treacle, no problems anywhere else, I also keep getting 'not responding' messages and 'recover the website' pop ups

Shouldn't be it has 16gb ram and 12 cores to use plus a 100mb connection the site uses about 5% resources it's on an ssd as well

Back