• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bus Tokens

Used have to argue with the bus conductor when they gave you tokens in your change. They argued that they were legal tender on the buses whilst we said only if they were giving change for the larger valued token (the green one?).
Glad to say we won, even resorting to bringing the driver into the argument as they were the senior crew member.
Cheers Tim

Used have to argue with the bus conductor when they gave you tokens in your change. They argued that they were legal tender on the buses whilst we said only if they were giving change for the larger valued token (the green one?).
Glad to say we won, even resorting to bringing the driver into the argument as they were the senior crew member.
Cheers Tim
Many of you Brummies have been mollycoddled, since the 1950's, as far as public transport is concerned. Bus passes for over 60's, now 65's I believe, only came to Devon some fifteen or so years ago. Certainly no tokens for bus fares to school when I lived near Solihull. But that was, of course, Midland Red territory - it was pay up, cycle or walk! :D

Many of you Brummies have been mollycoddled, since the 1950's, as far as public transport is concerned. Bus passes for over 60's, now 65's I believe, only came to Devon some fifteen or so years ago. Certainly no tokens for bus fares to school when I lived near Solihull. But that was, of course, Midland Red territory - it was pay up, cycle or walk! :D

I remember the tokens too. I was a pupil at Wheelers Lane SM School for a couple of years in the 50's and for swimming lessons, we'd surprisingly go to Moseley Road Baths when Kings Heath Baths were much nearer. To make the journey, we'd go on a normal service bus (no special buses in those days) and the teacher (Mr Bird?) would have a pocketful of tokens for 30 or so lads. I think the fare was 1 1/2p each so the poor old conductor's fingers were rather sore after issuing that lot!

When were you at Wheelers Lane Fireman Sam ? I left there in '55.
We were lucky enough to do our swimming in KH baths all the time, (I loved those baths !), so never had to go by bus.

i know of the bus tokens but never had to use them as both of my schools were within walking distance of my house

lyn

Hi folks

Just been up the loft again found these plastic tokens.

Given to me by my uncle George Cross ex Inspector miller Street & Witton Tram Depot.

He was the Inspector to finally close Witton TramDepot
29925-c66a10aad418904cefd802dbc7292036.jpg

from a post in the other bus token thread (see my post No.2) by Ray Griffiths 23/7/16

When were you at Wheelers Lane Fireman Sam ? I left there in '55.
We were lucky enough to do our swimming in KH baths all the time, (I loved those baths !), so never had to go by bus.

Can't quite remember the year. I think I went there in 1954 and left in '55 as I'd passed the 13 plus for tech school. I remember the KH baths too although I swam at Sparkhill Baths more.

Don't know the reason why we went to Moseley Road Baths but we were using a church hall in Kings Heath and we went from there. The church was almost opposite the cinema if I recall. KH Baths were much nearer as well.

I was in that annexe too, might've been my second year. (Mr Hall was our teacher, used to flog us 'till his cane broke).

We got them when I was at Moseley Art School to go the playing fields on Allenscroft Rd in Kings Heath.
Dave A

I went to Icknield St School in the late 50's and we were given bus tokens to go swimming at Kent St baths. One time myself and a few other boys decided before going back to schoolto we would go to a cafe and listen to the jukebox, when we got back we were sent straight to the headmaster Mr Kitchen, we got six strokes each of his long thin cane.

It is funny that all of the posts call them 'bus tokens' except #33. I (a novice member) still have two red 1d tokens and wondered if a photo was warranted. As expected, not neccessary. However, looking more closely, they are 'tramway tokens' as Lloyd noted.

I dont know why but I also have two 2d tokens. They are blue and from 'Southampton Tramways'. Heaven knows how I got those. I did live in Bournemouth for a few months in 1947 but they had their own corporation buses.

we had them to go the the clinic but we walked,and used the tokens to swimming

Last edited:
The birmingham council and education department used to give the poor familys plastic coins for bus fares
of all nominations in different colours to parents to give there kids and get them to school
from i penny upwards the penny was red and green was i think was threepenny and six penny was a blue ; i think ;
any of you guys had them ; we did and i used to travel down to hockley brook on the the number eight bus to get to
ickneild street where old man kitchener would wait on the gate for the late comers ;any body go there
my two cousins went there from ford street at the back of the school . Barry and bryan phelps anybody recal them ;
have a nice day best wishes astonian

Astonian I recall some of the red ones kicking around our house at one time . I think my sister(RIP) had them to get to and from school as she was ten years older than me , I would be talking about 1955/6

Tokens were still being used here in Cornwall up to at least 2000, didn't realise what they were when I started driving down here as I'd never seen tokens before.

I did have some Birmingham bus tokens in 1967, but cannot remember when they were phased out.

I did have some Birmingham bus tokens in 1967, but cannot remember when they were phased out.
I Remember having green bus tokens to get me to school and back in the mid 60's. I believe they were issued to poorer families. I remember I used to palm mine so no one could see it was a token as I was worried I would be judged by others.
Would not worry me in the slightest now.

Back