• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wake Green Road

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A lovely photo of the road. Looks about 1910/20 (?) The delivery boy on a bike has stopped to talk to a lady pushing a baby in a pram. Viv..

image.jpeg

This 1908 view also shows a very picturesque road. Hoping some of this has survived. Viv.

image.jpeg

Well viv
those two cracking pics of the wake green road ,havent really change much from that day to this day
the only thing thats changed is the volume of traffic i would say
and i know the second roads there is one or two that have the same look and feel
best wishes Alan ,,Astonian,,

Thanks Alan. That's good to hear!

Two later views. The first must be post-1930s and the second looks about 1940/50. Someone may be able to date more accurately by the vehicles. Viv.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Wake Green Road is a long road running from near Sarehole Mill to Moseley Village; it was always a pleasure to cycle in the late 1940's, early 1950's. I doubt it is today due to excessive vehicle fumes.

The no 1 bus route still goes up and down it (from College Road). While at the Sarehole end, the 5 turns off onto Springfield Road (so no bus route on Wake Green Road on the section near Moseley School). There are modern houses near Moseley Bog. While everything from Yardley Wood Road towards St Mary's Row is mostly traditional Victorian townhouses.

I think the top photo is post #4 is the corner of Church Road heading away from Moseley just past where Meteor Ford used to be. On the right hand side there are some shops which lie back beyond a grass verge.

Wake Green, it appears, is derived from an Anglo-Saxon name 'waca' being a village green where an annual festival was held. Northerners will be familiar with Wakefield, Wakes Weeks and more I guess.
Incidentally, Wake Green Road was the home of Mr. A.C.Baker, general Manager of Birmingham City Transport from 1928 until 1950. He took over the reigns from his father Alfred Baker: his brother worked for the other firm i.e. Midland Red.

A chimney sweep, a window cleaner ..... ? If so, imagine there was plenty of business to be had along Wake Green Road. Viv.

image.jpeg

The ladder seems short, unless it is extendible, in which case he might be the guy who replaces the mantles in the gas lights.
Yes. maybe a sweep but those houses would need some tall ladders for cleaning windows.
Now, what other ideas can others come up with? :D

In the mid-1960s many students from outside Birmingham and its environs, studying at Aston University, would be in residence at Gracie Hall, 38 Wake Green Road. Not sure whether it is still there or being used for other purposes. Dave.

I've been travelling up and down this road for 3 months visiting my mother in Moseley Hall Hospital some times it's very busy today in Moseley village they had a farmer market so at 1.30 was very buzy

There was also some event on at St Mary's Church near St Mary's Row. Noticed people in period costume!

Yes your right you reminded me when i came back at 4 oclock it had all finished and the traffic was light got to say its a lovely road to drive down with all its trees and bushes

I think the top photo is post #4 is the corner of Church Road heading away from Moseley just past where Meteor Ford used to be. On the right hand side there are some shops which lie back beyond a grass verge.

Meteor Ford site now occupied by a very large Marks & Sparks branch due to be open in Oct 2017. Frontage on Wake Green Rd. fits in with shops - frontage on Oxford Rd. a modern eyesore. But thats just my opinion!

Last edited:
I thought they were going to be apartments but only have quick look as i drive past and yes they done look in keeping with the other shops and were are people going to park they never think of that when they build shops

A couple of images of the entrance to Pine Dell & Botanical Gardens that once stood on the corner of College Road and Wake Green Rd adjoining the college. I understand that there were also Hydropathic baths on this site that were fed by underground springs. Hence Spring Hill I suppose?

Moseley College Rd - wake Green Rd Botanical Gardens.jpg

Moseley Pine Dell & Botanical Gardens Wake Green Rd.jpg

Last edited:
I was told the baths are still present underneath Moseley School. The old part of the school was Spring Hill College I think.

We learn something new every day. As a former member of Moseley Grammar School and a current member of The Moseleians, I knew that MGS was formerly Spring Hill College, but not about Pine Dell. Thanks, Phil.

Maurice

I thought they were going to be apartments but only have quick look as i drive past and yes they done look in keeping with the other shops and were are people going to park they never think of that when they build shops

Originally it was to be three story with Tesco on the ground floor, medical practice/centre above & sheltered housing on the top. Tesco pulled out followed by the medical practice My understanding is that there will still be sheltered housing. You're right; parking will be a nightmare with very limited space on site.

!

Love this Road....unearthed this gem from along there, No 48, some time ago....still looks forlorn and abandoned...why???

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...istorians-left-decay-owner-went-bankrupt.html

48 Wake Green Rd

These eerie pictures show the demise of an abandoned Grade II listed home, once lovingly cared for by a local historian.
Situated in the leafy, affluent suburb of Moseley, Birmingham it was once a stunning example of a quintessentially English detached house.
It has now been repossessed after its current owners were declared bankrupt, after they left it to decay for at least eight years.
The house tells the story of the changes in English society that have been felt particularly in the West Midlands.
The exterior of the house still looks much the same as when it was completed for Albert Gosling, a butcher, in 1916. It maintains features such as the cupola on top of the garage, which allowed exhaust fumes to escape.
Inside, many of the original wooden panels and stained glass windows remain. The kitchen has a distinct 1970s kitsch feel, whilst the living room has a picture of Mecca hanging.
Fiona Adams, 67, Secretary of the Moseley History Society said: 'It was the home of Fred and Olive Price - the Moseley Local History Group had many meetings there.
'We’ve been increasingly concerned about the state of this charming Arts and Crafts house that Fred lovingly maintained.'

Still in the house were used teacups, a large Sony television, photographs of Lady Diana, newspapers, made beds and family photographs showing Fred Price.
Javid Sattar, who was the last owner of the house, is believed to be the President of the World Council of Muslim Youth.
A business card stating Mr Sattar's job title and contact details was found in the home. There was also a photograph of Mecca, the Muslim holy site in Saudi Arabia, and a copy of a book issued during the Pakistan National Defence College's 2002 visit to the United Kingdom.

A letter from a law firm has been put up in the house notifying Mr Sattar that it is now in their possession. However, the building hasn’t been secured.
The house has slipped a long way from it’s former glory giving concern to neighbours who blame the decay for burglaries on their own properties, saying that it has enabled thieves to gain access through the abandoned house’s garden.

Sorry for the big pics, but the thumbnail option is not working for me..?? article-0-2076CAF700000578-322_964x634.jpgarticle-0-2076CBC500000578-613_964x640.jpgarticle-0-20778DF800000578-567_964x615.jpgarticle-0-207789B300000578-872_964x602.jpgarticle-0-2077930700000578-668_964x639.jpgarticle-2722795-20779D8600000578-900_964x636.jpgarticle-2722795-20779F2300000578-849_964x641.jpgWake Green Rd Bing.jpeg

Brilliant aerial photograph. This is a listed building! Of course if we had a council that cared about heritage in the suburbs they would have taken action to protect it years ago instead of turning a blind eye as usual.

It doesn't cost the Council anything to serve a dereliction notice. The lawyers would then have to repair at their cost or put it up for sale. Although from time to time I moan about Bournemouth Council, they were fairly smart on making sure buildings were not allowed to rot.

Maurice

There was also some event on at St Mary's Church near St Mary's Row. Noticed people in period costume!

The church was holding an event to celebrate the "restoration" of the churchyard. They had received Lottery Heritage money for the project. It involved relaying the paths, & improving access. It also levelled the ground and reset many of the dangerously leaning monuments. Part of the project, which I helped with, was to record accurately the inscriptions on all the remaining gravestones. This info will be put on the internet in time & will be very helpful for family historians.

I always feel sad when visiting overground, neglected graveyards. This is a brilliant example of what can be done with lots of committment and volunteers. Well worth a visit.

Back