• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cross Guns,pub And The Marquis Of Lorne

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys here is a couple of old boozers for you
picture number 1 ,

picture number 2

cross guns on the corner of summer lane and frankfort st
And The marqius of Lorne taken in the 1950

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 73
Is the marquis of Lorne in cattel rd small heath that used to be run by jonjoe O'Neil...

jim its the marquis of lorne corner of newtown row and cecil st.. from memory i think there was another marquis of lorne corner of farm st and hockley hill but will need to check that out..not come across the cattell road one..

lyn

Thanks Lyn, the one in Cattel rd is still there but I think it may of changed its name...

Hi jim
Yes Lynn is correct the one i have mentioned is in fact the corner of newtown row and cecil street
And this was the original one i beleive to be the original
the original one in 1901 and with george and flora stokes were the keepers of the pub in 1901 according to the cenus
The rest of the family consisted of a son george junior and two daughters
Alice eight, and Ada three ]
The mother named may, was later born in1908, and another daughter Elsie in1903
they subseqently moved to take over the cross guns pub on the corner of summer lane and frankfort st,
Getting back to the marquis of lorne , i understand it was a large elegant building from the out side
My i add the marquis of lorne was the eldest son of the duke of argyle and married
Princess Louise caroline Alberta,
A daughter of queen victoria.
He became govenor general of canada , in the later nineteeth century and in 1882 named the province
Of Alberta , after his wife, she is also recalled in short , Lousise Lorne road in
Moseley between the Alcester road and Trafalgar road ,
Best wishes to you all Astonian,,,, Alan,,,

The Marquis of Lorne, The Roost. Take your pick they are both the same pub on the corner of Cattell Road and Arsenal Street.

Attachments

• Small Heath Marqess of Lorne Cattell Rd.JPG
    Small Heath Marqess of Lorne Cattell Rd.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 47
  • The Roost.jpg
    The Roost.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
thanks phil now i remember i did know about this pub...just another senior moment:D

mort had another look a those 3 pics of phils .. the shots of the marquis of lorne and the roost are one and the same pub but shannons is not... there are only 2 windows bottom right on the shannons pic and also the window top left of the pub name is higher on the marquis of lorne and the roost photos in fact all of the windows on the shannons photo are entirely different to what is showing in the other 2 photos..

Last edited:
Hi jim
Yes Lynn is correct the one i have mentioned is in fact the corner of newtown row and cecil street
And this was the original one i beleive to be the original
the original one in 1901 and with george and flora stokes were the keepers of the pub in 1901 according to the cenus
The rest of the family consisted of a son george junior and two daughters
Alice eight, and Ada three ]
The mother named may, was later born in1908, and another daughter Elsie in1903
they subseqently moved to take over the cross guns pub on the corner of summer lane and frankfort st,
Getting back to the marquis of lorne , i understand it was a large elegant building from the out side
My i add the marquis of lorne was the eldest son of the duke of argyle and married
Princess Louise caroline Alberta,
A daughter of queen victoria.
He became govenor general of canada , in the later nineteeth century and in 1882 named the province
Of Alberta , after his wife, she is also recalled in short , Lousise Lorne road in
Moseley between the Alcester road and Trafalgar road ,
Best wishes to you all Astonian,,,, Alan,,,

A bit more info from....Majesty in Canada: Essays on the Role of Royalty (2006)

“.......and Lome's close friendships with men identified as homosexuals fuelled much London gossip about the exact nature of their marriage. The Marquis's appointment as Governor General was widely believed to be directly — and solely — the result of his royal marriage. The London World dismissed Lome as a "non-entity in the House of Commons, and a non-entity without," summing him up as a man whose "greatest achievement in life is to marry a princess."

Mort

If course you are right, the architecture on the disputed pub is all wrong when you look at it in depth. It's just my failing brain I could have swore that the Marquis was called Shannon's for a while in the 80's. The pub in question was further up the road on the corner of Bordesley Green & Norwood Road and was originally the Coach & Horses. I will alter my post and remove the error.

Thank you mort and terry
I have to say it out loud i laughed when i seen there replies last evening after i put it on the forum
after our two dear members put what they said
I knew it was wrong but it was late and i smiled to myself and thought let some one else tell them they are wrong
just as you two guys have said correctly wrong
and may i say to our dear members our dear old friend and associate carl chinn had confirmed the photo and the address
and he as got it in the birmingham city archives still today as proof of the excact pub and the newtown address
plus his photograph as two or three of the dukes sons standing along side the pub at the time as carl as stated but the one i put up missed the sons standing there
and may i say the shannons pub which i freqenty and used regulal nightly and week ends was on the bordesly green road
and subjectively my friends was previuos for year before the name change as the coach and horses pub
before the courtneys taken over it they themselves are irish family building contractors and demo workers
was there name Courtney,and they are part of my wifes family her parents as she is courtney herself my wife
in later years they moved and bought the hen and chickens on rocky lane aston as well oppersite tubes limited
and renamed it channons as well , the gypsty tent is in down behind the coach and horses in the nexrt road that behind bordesly rgreen road and the roost in on the green lane bordesly green my dear friends
the courtneys are great friends with the doyles namely breeda and tom doyle whom ran the emily arms pubthey also ran the
the rose taveren in off stratford road which was one of john coles pub whom owned the bradford arms in bradford street
and the Mcveighs on stratford road whom are great friends i could go on but i will stop now
thanks guys for bringing it to our attention, Astonian,,,, Alan,,

I lived in the Marquis of Lorne (Aston) for a few years in the late 1950's and attach a photo of my dad's pub, at a higher resolution than that posted above. The Marquis of Lorne stood on the corner of Cecil Street and New Town Row in Aston, sadly since demolished. The pub was an architectural gem and would be a listed building now, featuring extensive and finely detailed terracotta.

My dad had a series of Ford Zodiacs and in this photo there's one parked right outside the rear gate where he used to park his car... so I'm claiming this as a photo of his car/pub when we were in residence. My bedroom was in the top left dormer window. You can also see a strange shanty, like a three storey cantilevered garden shed to the rear of the pub, but not part of it. I well remember this collapsing one day and showering our pub with dust and dirt. All the glasses had to be washed. It looks about ready to collapse in the photo. They don't build them like they used to!

This was the venue for the infamous Irish riot my dad caused. The pub had two function rooms, one upstairs behind the Marquis of Lorne signage and another, smaller room downstairs. He was approached by an Irish family to cater in the upstairs room for a wedding. At the same time he agreed to host a wake for a deceased Irishman in the downstairs room. My dad clearly was unaware of Irish religious politics, for one party was Catholic and the other party was Protestant. You can imagine the result. The pub had to close the next day awaiting a delivery of new glasses. It took that day for a team of cleaners to put the place back together and I was always puzzled by the lack of bar stools from that day forward.

My dad's ex police dog, an Alsatian named Rosa, saved my life in this pub! I was asleep upstairs with parents working in the pub two floor below. A gas leak developed and Rosa, smelling danger, ran downstairs barking furiously. Luckily my parents responded and got me out to fresh air. I spent a night in hospital which I hated, and remember lying to the doctor that I felt perfectly well. He discharged me, and I returned home with an enormous yet secret headache which took days to clear.

Ahhh, I can still smell the stale beer and cigarette smoke I grew up with. The sound of some drunk, in the bar downstairs, playing an accordion to a cats chorus of inebriates most night is also etched in my memory. Sometimes the bu@@er bought in his bagpipes!

WP

Attachments

• Marquis of Lorne.jpg
    Marquis of Lorne.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 37
i had a p
I lived in the Marquis of Lorne (Aston) for a few years in the late 1950's and attach a photo of my dad's pub, at a higher resolution than that posted above. The Marquis of Lorne stood on the corner of Cecil Street and New Town Row in Aston, sadly since demolished. The pub was an architectural gem and would be a listed building now, featuring extensive and finely detailed terracotta.

My dad had a series of Ford Zodiacs and in this photo there's one parked right outside the rear gate where he used to park his car... so I'm claiming this as a photo of his car/pub when we were in residence. My bedroom was in the top left dormer window. You can also see a strange shanty, like a three storey cantilevered garden shed to the rear of the pub, but not part of it. I well remember this collapsing one day and showering our pub with dust and dirt. All the glasses had to be washed. It looks about ready to collapse in the photo. They don't build them like they used to!

This was the venue for the infamous Irish riot my dad caused. The pub had two function rooms, one upstairs behind the Marquis of Lorne signage and another, smaller room downstairs. He was approached by an Irish family to cater in the upstairs room for a wedding. At the same time he agreed to host a wake for a deceased Irishman in the downstairs room. My dad clearly was unaware of Irish religious politics, for one party was Catholic and the other party was Protestant. You can imagine the result. The pub had to close the next day awaiting a delivery of new glasses. It took that day for a team of cleaners to put the place back together and I was always puzzled by the lack of bar stools from that day forward.

My dad's ex police dog, an Alsatian named Rosa, saved my life in this pub! I was asleep upstairs with parents working in the pub two floor below. A gas leak developed and Rosa, smelling danger, ran downstairs barking furiously. Luckily my parents responded and got me out to fresh air. I spent a night in hospital which I hated, and remember lying to the doctor that I felt perfectly well. He discharged me, and I returned home with an enormous yet secret headache which took days to clear.

Ahhh, I can still smell the stale beer and cigarette smoke I grew up with. The sound of some drunk, in the bar downstairs, playing an accordion to a cats chorus of inebriates most night is also etched in my memory. Sometimes the bu@@er bought in his bagpipes!

WP
i had a pint or two in this pub , was a real beauty...
my dad drank here in the 1930;s , talked very fondly of it..
my moms family Irish Murphys and Giblins used this pub extensively , moms father was born close by in Brewery street.
Heard many tales as a kid about the many fights outside.... mostly one on one ... good entertainment apparently...

Hi guys here is a couple of old boozers for you
picture number 1 ,

picture number 2

cross guns on the corner of summer lane and frankfort st
And The marqius of Lorne taken in the 1950
Hi all. Im just doing my family tree and my relatives ran this pub in the 1880s there name was alfred and sarah ann ansell and sarahs soster alice was barmaind alice bicknell they ran the marqius of lome

Back