• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

I confess that I had many a boyhood fantasy of Miss Haggett. I hated French but was always eager to sit at the front near her desk....... Memories

Hiya Acka,

Know what you mean mate, there was also a teacher (of what I don't know) called Miss Chivers. I think she married the PE teacher ( a Scotsman), memories are made of this mate.

Lozellian (Mac).

Hi Folks, after my Aifix Spitfire had been shot to bits by my best friend (see my posting Heaton St Thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/heaton-st-hockley.47417/page-1 #16) my aeronautics moved up a gear to the building of a Lancaster Bomber (which I kept out of my best friend's gaze and range of his air rifle) at which point I decided it was time for my models to actually fly.

During my time at HLS I gained the Duke of Edinburgh Silver and Gold Awards, one section (4 in total) was Pursuits and Projects and for the Gold Award I chose to build a glider - a balsa wood model that could incorporate radio control. I kept a log of the build and the finished craft with its 4-ft wingspan looked very impressive. Long after it had performed its task of satisfying the requirements of the award I was looking at it one day as it was gathering dust on top of my wardrobe and thought its time for its maiden flight.

Now at that time me and my parents had moved from Heaton Street to a 6th floor flat of a tower block in Erdington and now aged 15 I guess, and for some reason off school I gazed out my window at the large grassed area beyond (you can probably see where I am going with this) , I thought: I'm sure my glider would choose one spectacular flight over a lifetime of gathering dust on my wardrobe so I threaded it carefully through the window and launched it westward (I know what you are thinking He must have broken a hundred laws and quite a few air traffic regs, which reminds me, our flat was on the flight-path to Elmdon Airport). Anyway the models wings caught a thermal immediately it left the confines of my bedroom and soared majestically, its royal blue and silver livery catching the mid-morning's sun's rays superbly.

By setting the models tail fin at an angle the craft would circle and in theory stay aloft indefinitely until it lost thermals or hit and obstruction (unlike a powered model which would descend when its fuel was spent) so to counter this it had a dethermaliser, which flipped the tail to bring the craft down - I did not set this, leaving the glider to its fate. The craft circled gracefully a number of times and then it lost altitude, by which time it's fate had been written - it continued to circle and loose height until ultimately it crashed into a large willow.

Was I sad? No. Better that end than dying of old age on the wardrobe. That was my last contact with aeronautics.

Regards,
Peg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joseph Lucas plaque.jpg

Hi Folks,

I don't think HLS thread could ever be complete without thanks going to Joseph Lucas for their help to the school, I know of the following for sure and I'm certain there were many more examples that weren't commonly known:

1. Director's wives graciously giving up their time to award prizes on speech days.
2. Providing equipment and expertise for the fencing club.
3. Providing equipment for the making of the school movie The Bicycle Thief.

The above plaque is a replica of the one erected in Carver Street, the birthplace of Joseph Lucas.

Regards,
Peg.

Last edited:
Hi Folks, I was in the smallest room in the house the other day contemplating the meaning of life (again) when a clash of thoughts brought about quite an epiphany. Most, if not all, of you were, no doubt, relieved at my declaration that the whole sordid affair of my poor CSE Woodwork grade had reached a conclusion, well the matter of my maths grade, unfortunately, was something that still occupied my thoughts from time to time, but I'm delighted to report that the position is about to change; moreover I'm killing two birds with one stone - the subject of my lack-lustre English Grade is also about to disappear into obscurity.

I must start by confessing I'm not a morning person. I'm a reptile who has to find a sunny rock on which to warm-up on before I can start to function at even a basic level. It's an overabundance of reptillian genes in my DNA and I can do nothing about it - it has to be accommodated.

Anyway, back to my epiphany - I recently chanced upon a radio debate on the desirability of a meritoriousness society (Not heard the phrase? Nor had I, basically it mean achievement is down to the efforts of the individual). The debate was wide-ranging and embraced such subjects as nature or nurture, is IQ inherited?, equal opportunities etc. I know what you are thinking: All very interesting but what's it go t to do with the price of fish? You'll see shortly.

No lesser person than The Prime Minister was involved in the debate and, as is often the case, expert opinion was divided on the subject of nature or nurture, certainly politicians find it too hot a potato to come down on one side or the other. I'v no doubt that before we can talk about equal opportunity we have to ask ourselves: can there ever be a level playing field? My answer is NO. There is no more extreme an example of an uneven playing field than life itself. Almost at the end of the radio debate there was so little attention paid to an important formula that it could easily have been missed - more about that later.

I'll start by hoisting my colours: there is no doubt in my mind IQ is inherited, gifted parents=gifted off-spring, I have seen numerous examples of this, yes potential has to be maximised but we are stuck with whatever IQ our parents gave us. You'll soon see where I'm going with this. I have vivid memories of my days at The University of Central England where I studied Production Engineering, the course included Statistics - bad news for me, witness my CSE Maths Grade 4.

Sessions were two hours long - any longer and brain death would have occurred in all the ungifted like me. I always gave the lecturer my 110% attention for the whole of the 2 hours unlike another guy in the class who messed about for all the 2 hours apart from about 5 minutes, and do you know what? He still had a better grasp of the subject than I had. There can't be a level playingfield - as far as IQ goes in the card game of life some have been dealt a better hand than others.

What was that important formula mentioned in the radio debate?: IQ + effort = achievement.

So someone with limited IQ can work like a Trojan and may still only achieve mediocrity, conversely someone with high IQ may achieve without trying too hard (witness: my stats class at uni). Although my extra-carricular maths sessions with Miss Chivvers are no more than a figment of my imagination even if they had taken place I doubt my CSE Maths Grade would have been much better - I got my IQ from my father, a coal miner and my mother, a cleaner and my fate, my CSE results, had been written at my birth. And if the exam took place early in the morning I, a reptile, was never going to shine.

RIP CSE Maths Grade 4 and English Grade 3, my CSE Certificate is heading back to the loft never to see the light of day again.

Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks, I'm in the 5th year (1964-5) and the CSE Exams are no longer in the distant future; one afternoon I'm passing the Headmaster's Study (Mr. A.E.Walker):
"Peg, come in, I've got a job I need doing immediately."
"I'm your man sir, consider it done (engaging maximum creep mode), just on my way to revise for my CSE Maths (????) but I'll make time for your job."
I was given a sealed envelope and the instruction deliver to physics master (can't remember his name). I ascend the nearby steps and approach the double swinging doors into the first floor lab, where I pause and look through one of the port-hole windows.
My heart sinks.
The physics master is trying his best to deliver wisdom to the most unruly form in the school (3rd formers, let's call it 3x). I gird my loins, push open the double doors and head purposefully for the far end of the lab where the teacher is in full swing.
Then everything kicks off almost immediately and I receive a torrent of abuse from every corner of the room. I've only gone a few steps when I receive a comment from the lips of a 14-year old sweet girls which would have made a sailor blush. A phrase far too adult for the forum, suffice to say I was accused of walking in a manner that indicated I've not long suffered an unfortunate personal hygiene accident.
I adopt the moral high ground (not much else I could do), smile sweetly and continue without checking my step towards the teacher. With my duty discharged I take a deep breath and set off for the return journey, my prefect's badge providing no protection whatsoever. I receive similar unsavoury insults from the same girl on the way back and seconds later I exit the lab with an indescribable sense of relief.
It was all a mystery, which almost defies explanation, I could have put this young lady on detention for the rest of the year, but I didn't, I must have been feeling particularly benevolent that day.
Anyway, come on you girls out there, you were all 14 year old angels, what was that all about? Surely not just a gesture of defiance against authority?

Peg.

Last edited:
Hi Folks, I'm in the 5th year (1964-5) and the CSE Exams are no longer in the distant future; one afternoon I'm passing the Headmaster's Study (Mr. A.E.Walker):
"Peg, come in, I've got a job I need doing immediately."
"I'm your man sir, consider it done (engaging maximum creep mode), just on my way to revise for my CSE Maths (????) but I'll make time for your job."
I was given a sealed envelope and the instruction deliver to physics master (can't remember his name). I ascend the nearby steps and approach the double swinging doors into the first floor lab, where I pause and look through one of the port-hole windows.
My heart sinks.
The physics master is trying his best to deliver wisdom to the most unruly form in the school (3rd formers, let's call it 3x). I gird my loins, push open the double doors and head purposefully for the far end of the lab where the teacher is in full swing.
Then everything kicks off almost immediately and I receive a torrent of abuse from every corner of the room. I've only gone a few steps when I receive a comment from the lips of a 14-year old sweet girls which would have made a sailor blush. A phrase far too adult for the forum, suffice to say I was accused of walking in a manner that indicated I've not long suffered an unfortunate personal hygiene accident.
I adopt the moral high ground (not much else I could do), smile sweetly and continue without checking my step towards the teacher. With my duty discharged I take a deep breath and set off for the return journey, my prefect's badge providing no protection whatsoever. I receive similar unsavoury insults from the same girl on the way back and seconds later I exit the lab with an indescribable sense of relief.
It was all a mystery, which almost defies explanation, I could have put this young lady on detention for the rest of the year, but I didn't, I must have been feeling particularly benevolent that day.
Anyway, come on you girls out there, you were all 14 year old angels, what was that all about? Surely not just a gesture of defiance against authority?

Peg.

Hiya Peg,

I can only imagine how you must have felt at the time, some peoples civility is just non existent!!!! The only Physics Master I recall was a Mr Dunne (Mick) if that means anything?

Lozellian.

Hiya Peg,

I can only imagine how you must have felt at the time, some peoples civility is just non existent!!!! The only Physics Master I recall was a Mr Dunne (Mick) if that means anything?

Lozellian.
That name rings a bell, was he quite tall and abrupt? If so he used to post our homework on a noticeboard near the lab - I remember one in particular: Assuming the same weight in both cases, which one of the following would dissolve quicker in acid: 1) Iron filings or 2) A block of iron.
Of course we all answered 1), expecting to get 10/10 - wrong! We got chastised for not supporting our answer with scientific proof, even now don't know exactly what was expected.

Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks, I'm presently inserting hyper-links longhand and feel there must be a copy and paste option - Help!

Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks, Peg Monkey and Jim have appeared in numerous pictograms giving the impression they were close friends, in truth I met up with Jim very infrequently, the first time I caught him in the process of stealing my bike, whilst I was in the butchers on The Flat buying breast of lamb for my mom, after that we met up, with my older cousin Ray, for our annual carol singing circuit around the Hockley pubs (see #158 on this thread), I can't be sure but Jim may have wore Daily Mail Charity Boots, I don't think many of my friends had to wear these (which was a blessing). Ironically, in the 50s, I thought they looked quite stylish, looking like football boots. and my mother was most indignant where I asked if I could have a pair.
Why did they have to be boots? This made it obvious the wearer was a charity case, they should have been shoes.
(There is a thread dedicated to these boots see: https:birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/daily-mail-boots-and-shoes.28335/page-1)

Regards,
Peg.

thanks for deleting the off topic posts alan..i have now tidied up so onward and upward:)

lyn

I thought Mr Dunne was a great physics teacher. He was young and adopted a 'less formal - non conformist' method of teaching which gave me a love of physics that proved valuable to me later in my professional career.

We (5th year) were allowed to call him Mick while in the science lab' (provided Johnnie Walker was not in ear shot) and he inspired enthusiasm and learning in a subject that would otherwise be uninspiring?

He appeared to love astronomy and it was in the late 1960's that he introduced the anticipation of the visit of Haley's comet - consequently in 1986 (if I remember correctly) on the appearance of the comet, memories of Mick's flooded back.

If I recall, a fellow member of this forum (Dave Inston) excelled in Mick's class and achieved outstanding O-Level results?

Mabz

I am not sure it should have been in any thread. :D
My deleted posts were simply two You Tube videos relating to the playing of spoons and the famous Peter Sellers vid "A drop of the hard stuff".
Anyone feeling deprived :eek:, of course, can look them up. ;)

I am not sure it should have been in any thread. :D
My deleted posts were simply two You Tube videos relating to the playing of spoons and the famous Peter Sellers vid "A drop of the hard stuff".
Anyone feeling deprived :eek:, of course, can look them up. ;)
Thanks Alan, playing the spoons - I fear is a dying art, together with the washboard, the saw and, of course the comb. - When you couldn't afford an instrument you had to be creative!

Peg.

Hiya Acka,

Know what you mean mate, there was also a teacher (of what I don't know) called Miss Chivers. I think she married the PE teacher ( a Scotsman), memories are made of this mate.

Lozellian (Mac).

Mac - If I recall correctly, wasn't the P.E teachers name Mr Shearer?

Acka

Last edited:
Hi Folks - HLS memorabilia: In my post #50 I displayed the award pages from the prizes I was fortunate to gain during my time at HLS and I thought there might be some interest in seeing the actual books - so here they are.

Regards,
Peg.
HLS Prizes.jpg
Woodwork prizes but rubbish CSE.jpg

Hi Folks, do you remember getting your first HLS uniform? I have to confess I don't, I think it must have come from Foster's they were big in school wear early 60s, the blazer badge and tie came from the school office, the first couple of years I had a satchel but in the latter years it was much more in vogue to have an ex-army surplus rucksack for homework books.
Ah! The good old days.

Peg.

Mac - If I recall correctly, wasn't the P.E teachers name Mr Shearer?

Acka

Hiya Acka,

Yes mate I think you're right & wasn't the original Science teacher before Mick Dunne a guy called Corfield? (one for peg monkey).

Lozellian (Mac)

"Tight Lines mate for 2017"

I thought Mr Dunne was a great physics teacher. He was young and adopted a 'less formal - non conformist' method of teaching which gave me a love of physics that proved valuable to me later in my professional career.

We (5th year) were allowed to call him Mick while in the science lab' (provided Johnnie Walker was not in ear shot) and he inspired enthusiasm and learning in a subject that would otherwise be uninspiring?

He appeared to love astronomy and it was in the late 1960's that he introduced the anticipation of the visit of Haley's comet - consequently in 1986 (if I remember correctly) on the appearance of the comet, memories of Mick's flooded back.

If I recall, a fellow member of this forum (Dave Inston) excelled in Mick's class and achieved outstanding O-Level results?

Mabz

Hi Acka,

Wasn't Dave Inston the guy who was pretty good at drawing/sketching cartoon characters & bringing them to life on a home made clipper /clapper board type of device? If I remember right he used to go to the "rag alley" in Brum on a Saturday with a guy called Derek Such as they were both avid marvel comic collectors (hope they kept them, some are worth a few quid).

Mac.

Back