• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hollyfields Recreation Ground

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe this image was taken in Erdington, in what appears to be a playing field. Can anyone recognise the location, please?

Thanks.

(Group of Erdington Home Guard blokes practising with a spigot mortar, 1942-44).

BlackerGroupw700.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

Perhaps the location can be found by process of elimination? As it looks to be by a football pitch one idea could be around Goosemoor Lane, here is a section of the 1938 map...

Thanks, Smudger and Pedrocut. I think the answer will be based on the appearance of the adjacent houses. This, below, is the best shot of those I can extract from the original image. Do they look right for either location?

Frothie - I have other images of Erdington blokes (possibly some of the same ones) training at Hockley Heath on this and another fearsome artillery weapon, the two-pounder gun: here.

Chris

BlackerGroupcropw1000.jpg

Pedrocut, the area between the park and Goosemoor Lane was allotments in 1938 except for the small part and it doesn't look familiar but it may have looked different earlier. There appears to be a tall building in the middle of the shot, which you can see more clearly in the middle of the second picture. I wonder if that can give us a clue.

Thanks, Smudger and Pedrocut. I think the answer will be based on the appearance of the adjacent houses. This, below, is the best shot of those I can extract from the original image. Do they look right for either location?

Frothie - I have other images of Erdington blokes (possibly some of the same ones) training at Hockley Heath on this and another fearsome artillery weapon, the two-pounder gun: here.

Chris

View attachment 114836

Do we know what regiment of they were in? Would it be Erdington or part of a larger unit, for example Handsworth?

Just remembered that Short Heath park had lime trees around the perimeter. I don't know when they were planted but they we much closer together than those in the picture.

Pedrocut, your map - post #675 sorts out a few things for me. I remember going to a sports day / fete on the cricket ground in the early 1950's and we went in the entrance shown. Was that Aston Unity cricket ground before they moved to Tamworth I think it was. Where the gravel pit is shown is now part of Travis Perkins and the football field on the right is now a modern estate. Next door to that was the garage where we bought our Pink Parafin. Was it Aladdin? It wasn't an Esso Blee Dooler I know that although I can see the little man who advertised it.

Pedrocut, your map - post #675 sorts out a few things for me. I remember going to a sports day / fete on the cricket ground in the early 1950's and we went in the entrance shown. Was that Aston Unity cricket ground before they moved to Tamworth I think it was. Where the gravel pit is shown is now part of Travis Perkins and the football field on the right is now a modern estate. Next door to that was the garage where we bought our Pink Parafin. Was it Aladdin? It wasn't an Esso Blee Dooler I know that although I can see the little man who advertised it.
Lady Penelope
I don't think Aston Unit's ground ran that far up. The entrance was not far beyond the terrace of houses after the Greyhound. Interestingly enough the last but one house on Court Lane before Goosemoor Lane was were the Hastilows lived, he owned Tudor Rose coaches and I remember from a visit as a 12/13 yr old schoolboy they had a very big rear garden. By the way thanks for reminding me about the paraffin man, now jog my memory again was there not a wood yard/timber merchant further down Goosemore?

Bob

Bob, I remember the sign at the entrance to AU's ground on Court Lane at the side of the cottages but the memory of going in from Goosemoor Lane is very clear. On Pedrocut's map there are two houses with what look like long gardens and the cricket ground is behind them running along the back of the two large, detached houses. I will pop along some time this week and see what I can figure out.

I'm looking at a house in Grange Rd Erdington, notice the black and white timber and the position of the two windows and the roof shape. The semi-detatched on the left of the modern pic was not there in 1945, it was just a rough field. The houses (out of view) on the opposite side of the road look interesting. I need to do more checks.
Nowthen.jpg

Last edited:
I believe this image was taken in Erdington, in what appears to be a playing field. Can anyone recognise the location, please?
Thanks.
(Group of Erdington Home Guard blokes practising with a spigot mortar, 1942-44).
View attachment 114830
Hi Chris, I think the photo was taken in one of the fields shown in the photo below which are on Grange Rd Erdington coming in from centre right of the photo. What do you think ?
oldmohawk
GrangeRdErdington.JPG
[EPW053143] The Holly Lane Brick Works and the surrounding residential area, Erdington, 1937
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW053143

The view below shows Grange Road today, note the four semi-detached (pairs) houses built since the 1940s
20170603_121732000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Bob, the timber yard was about where the gravel pit is shown in Pedrocut's post #675.

Pedrocut, your post #686 - very interesting map. Lots of new housing but I wonder what those two squares are in Shortheath Park, the pitches were further over. I can see the park keepers hut in the bottom left hand corner, Parkie Mitchell we called him.

Bob, the timber yard was about where the gravel pit is shown in Pedrocut's post #675.

Pedrocut, your post #686 - very interesting map. Lots of new housing but I wonder what those two squares are in Shortheath Park, the pitches were further over. I can see the park keepers hut in the bottom left hand corner, Parkie Mitchell we called him.

The square was the bowing green, it had a big hedge around it when I was a kid. It would have been right by where you lived Lady P

Last edited:
Do we know what regiment of they were in? Would it be Erdington or part of a larger unit, for example Handsworth?

It was the 23rd Warwickshire (Birmingham) Battalion, Pedrocut, which had responsibility for Erdington, or perhaps parts of Erdington. More information on it and one of its members, together with a number of group images and names, here.

I'm very grateful for all the interest in this little conundrum and, yes, oldMohawk, I am pretty sure you have cracked it!! I'll comment further shortly.

Chris

Last edited:
Back